Still no mobile DNG support?

Fully agree !

1 Like

@MSmithy - thank you for this detailed explanation - I sit here edified and more appreciative of the complexities of what, from an end-user perspective, is considered “simple”. At the risk of sounding like an entitled spoiled “child” (I wish) - I just wanted DxO to be the one editor to “Rule them All” - I will let this go and use it as the Big Gun in my editing arsenal and move on. Thank you again for taking the time to write this explanation.

2 Likes

You are welcome. Me too. I wish we had one standard that works. But alas, we are stuck with today’s many standards. It is what it is.

1 Like

There is, of course, the famous quote about standards.

1 Like

Makes you wonder how so many others manage DNG suport!

same, pureRAW would be interresting with DNG…

Hi

Please read the link below You will find that Samsung raw files contain 16-bit linear data files.

2 Likes

Once again, these are not true RAW files, but DNG containers. And the problem with such files is that each manufacturer decides on their own content format.

As illustrated by:

1 Like

Odd most other programs have little problem which is why DxO is losing users to programs like Affinity.

That’s because those other programs do not apply their noise reduction during demosaicing. DxO’s NR Prime algorithms require actual RAW data, not a TIFF or whatever other format it is that the camera manufacturer has wrapped up in a DNG container.

1 Like

What ever the “cause” unless users csn use the same program for processing the drift away will just keep on. But the main thing is we basicly need DxO to alow DNG the same way you can use the program with jpg which you didnt used to be able to do. Its mad I can use a lower quality jpg in PL but a better DNG is blocked from the same degee of processing

I realise there is lot of speculation about that idea here on this forum but is there any actual evidence that users are moving away from DxO Products?

Only based on comments on number of phone forums from users of old PL saying they have moved onto other programs to just use one for everything
I also have seen comments on the Samsung user forum from members giving advice to queries on programs to use processing DNG which not surprisingly excluding PL as a program to use. This also regularly crops up in other forums including some where in some existing PL users are asking, but I think on they learn another program many will stay with the one for convenience and cost
But clearly the poor updates in 6 and 7 have I expect been a more major effect on the apparent desperate sales push by DxO. I have stayed using 6 and now do more proceeding in Affinity and though upgraded to 7 can see no reason to upgrade again if having to use 2 programs as I get to grips with Affinity. Its interesting that flicker a few months ago found phones were a very large proportion of its uploading now.

1 Like

who says that we all insist on having AI/ML based NR - how about just being able to open a simple raw file written by a smart phone’s OS in a well documented DNG format w/o any Ai/ML NR from DxO side at all ? some of them are even linear DNGs… DxO has no issues to open linear DNGs w/o any NR … DNG has no issues to open raw files w/o optics modules for given camera/lens combo and as for camera profiles - standard DNG requires camera profile (DCP) to be in and DxO claims that they can use DCP (granted with their usual portions of not following the standard, but still)

granted the effort requires to be able to fully support DNG standard and DxO so far can’t even do that

2 Likes

The anti DNG stuff is amazing, DxO abandoned being just a RAW proceeding program when it launched in to hardware with the One. After the rebuilding, abandoned it again with the attempt of creating a DAM.
Over this time the world has changed, the point and shoot cameras, many of which also produced RAW files and were supported by DxO have died out. Many people carried them in there pocket as a camera to be available at any time (I did I know, Canon Powershots)) and have been replaced by the much improved camera hardware and software in mobile phones (computers!) that use not RAW but DNG as well as jpg. But because the format has changed the output, now mainly DNG as well as jpg, DxO has abandoned them.

Much as it would be nice to have the full use of PL with these DNG NO ONE has been asking for anything other than the same access to processing as jpgs currently have. But we are faced by other users doggedly repeating the same stuff about not being able to access the full RAW editing (not what’s been asked for) and the next thing is inability to use lens corrections, but they are mainly in the DNGs allready. Yes sometimes a DNG change happens, usually any problem is due to the program reading it not having been written correctly in the first place. LibRaw haven’t had to change there DNG support for years and FastRawViewer opened my Samsung 22 ultra DNG no problem. But Affinity had an initial problem with it as they hadn’t written the program right once that was sorted no problems. If DxO worked things correctly they should have no problems in allowing basic DNG processing in there products.

1 Like

Yes, moi for one.

I love PhotoLab, but I also love my iPhone.

Although I am a long time DxO user (when my memory serves me well since DxO Professional 3), I skipped DPL 7 just for this reason.

Maybe I will buy a license for some future version when it supports both iPhone DNG as well as HEIF files.

1 Like

On Mac best program for iPhone RAW Photos is Raw Power (available in Mac App Store).

Ditto the RAW Power app for iPhone and iPad. Great for global edits, with its ability to adjust ProRaw tone mapping perhaps the killer feature for me. Oh, and it will open Raw / DNG files (“real” raw or otherwise) from a huge number of smartphones, cameras, and scanners. Not bad for a 10 USD app!

Apologize a bit for adding to this seemingly never-ending series of threads. But there are options out there.

These totally miss the point of editing cameras and phones in the same program. I don’t think there is any shortage of programs to use its that DxO blocks them in there program’s pushing users into needing a second program away from DxO that is the problem

2 Likes