Stained glass in a church

When visiting a church I was impressed with the beautiful stained glass windows. The colors are amazing and the details are stunning. I later returned with my camera and took some pictures which I processed with Dxo. Because I was at floor level and the windows were large and high, most had perspective distortion, I worked on that with Dxo. I also merged some images into one large with PaintShopPro. I’ll share with you three samples.

The image above is merged from three different shots.

3 Likes

Stunningly beautiful!
Very colorful.
I can’t tell where you “joined” separate images.

I obviously can’t comment on the images, but you certainly made them look beautiful.
Was it “daylight” outside as you were shooting them?

If you go back there again, there’s a lot of detail in the top image that a flash might bring out - if you wanted that. Not sure if it would add to, or detract from, the image you have now.

Thank you so much for looking at the images and commenting on them!

I went there in the morning to have the most from the sun light. So the windows are backlit -obviously some more than others, and any use of a flash inside the church would be pointless. Looking back at the photo’s I also thought that underexposing a little might have brought out some more detail at the brighter spots. I already did work on the faces with control points.

That first image, looking at the bird in the very top of the glass I had that thought when processing. I am not sure if there is more to reveal. Those images were taken at a bit of a steep angle, because further away inside the church the top would be obscured by the large cross hanging from the ceiling.

Top part obscured by cross.

I took the images with the Canon 5D Mark III camera on a tripod, using live view on an external display and exposing with a remote after waiting until any vibration was gone. So this is as good as the lens (Tamron 150-600 G1) can do. It’s at the sweet spot of f/9 and I set ISO@250 and let the camera decide on shutter.

Having continued work on the images I also noted that the perspective correction does degrade the image a bit.

Original

Perspective corrected

Unlikely, the whole point of stained glass for it to be viewed backlit.

1 Like

When I have looked at stained glass windows in the past, I also often saw the structure of the building all around the glass.

For a photo specifically of the stained glass window, I agree with you.

But for a photo of a stained glass window in a specific location, there are other options:

Screenshot 2024-08-01 at 14.22.28

Looking at the top image up above, as large as I could make it, I saw this:

There’s a lot of detail there that may or may not add to the photo. To see it, you need to enlarge that top image as much as possible, and view it with a “black” background, preferably at night. I was thinking that might add to the image. Maybe.

Maybe I’m weird, but I prefer photos of stained glass windows along with their surroundings.

One question - would showing some detail in the “cross” enhance, or detract from, this image below:

What you see is only a part of the bottom of the cross. It is very large. I decided to keep the obscuring parts dark because being in front they would distract from the glass and the glass is what I wanted to photograph.
Maybe a next time I’ll take some wide angled interior shots with HDR effect.