Something exciting is coming

the ergonomic improvements are appreciable.

little gain it seems to me. (surtout face a la concurrence)

I’m going to try it to see if it’s worth updating or waiting for the next version

something exciting… LUTs
wait, only if you have filmpack? i guess i’ll stick to my regular workflow =/

Luminosity mask

The new Luminosity mask allows precise selection of the zones corresponding to a given brightness range.

– Use the eyedropper to select an area of the image to create a new mask OR
– Select one of 11 predefined zones based on the Ansel Adams zone system

@Joanna : it seems you’ve put your two cents there.

Not really. I might use the slider and wedge but the numbers are a pure fiction when compared with the real world of LF photography

The support for colour targets is brilliant! I was hoping for something like this and here it is.

Robin Whalley: Whats New in PhotoLab 7

“Today sees DxO launch PhotoLab 7. In this video I look at what’s new in the latest release of the software. I’ll be explaining the new features and demonstrating how they work to help you decide if PhotoLab 7 is right for you or not.”

Are you sure ?
where did you find this information ?
I did not found it in the “Support for lut” section of the pielo link above.

Note that they are doing a YouTube introduction in about an hour here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-xVPULIGB0

• Jon
2 Likes

So what is new in photolab 7 :

• Local adjustments in palettes
    with some interface improvements

• Local HSL correction
    missing hue picker.

• New generic renderings

• calibrated color profile creation

• Support for LUTs

And what is not new or not avalaible in photolab 7 :

• Luminosity mask
    Needs FilmPack 7 license.
    So unavalaible with PL update.

• FilmPack7 options
    Needs filmpack 7 licence.
    So unavalaible with PL update.

• Channel mixer
    not new for anyone with an old filmpack version.

• Colors Accentuation
    nothing new. Just tools put in an other place.

Personally. I welcome focus DXO has on pro features, vs various fancy features, since there are lot of software out there promoting attention grabbing features, at the expense of pro features, stability etc. So I am glad DXO decided to stay with no subscription model, focus on color and tone improvements and user interface. Maybe not the best business decision, but a correct one I think. So many companies have abandoned pro users for subscribe users, that I’m glad to see DXO staying committed to quality, over quantity. Even if its slow progress, its a progress in correct direction in my view.

1 Like

As far as I can tell. Still no history in the Windows version.

Indeed.
Only sad that luminosity mask isn’t avalaible. I don’t need filmpack for my work.

Good one for the future, I think.

1 Like

What do you mean? I’ve had so called “advance history” panel in Windows version for several DXO versions now, and undo, redo style basic functionality was always there as far as I know.

sshot-3476

PL7_CUST_00005_en

The nature of the recorded information

The DxO Advanced History palette records the following information, which is retained when you exit the program (Mac only):

The default preset that was applied when you opened the image in PhotoLab.
Name and (ON or OFF) status of the sub-palette used.
Name of the tool used.
Current and previous settings.
The settings of a Custom Presets, grouped and presented in a list (click the step arrow to reveal the settings).

https://userguides.dxo.com/photolab/en/the-customize-tab/#left_pane

FilmPack 7 is free with your 30-day PhotoLab trial.
Give it a try :wink:

Pascal

That is not a history. As soon as you close down DxO photolab that history is lost.

So far as I can tell, in Photolab 7 there is absolutely no upgrade to DeepPRIME noise technology from Photolab 6.

Am I correct?

It doesn’t help that there is no downloadable manual for 7 as yet. Hopefully one, better than those of earlier version’s will turn up

The price for PL7 and the FP7 is not acceptable for me, even as Upgrade. With a bit luck I can buy the Adobe Foto Suite for 3 years for the price ….

filmpack and viewpoint should be part of PL Elite, a complete raw processor… period, if you want PL half baked there’s PL Essential, so why add-on to complete a software that should be complete with the full package… i never understood this logic.

3 Likes

With PhotoLab, you can upgrade every two years at the reduced price. If you don’t want to continue paying, you will still have a perfectly working version

If you stop paying Adobe, Photoshop stops working

2 Likes