Some "industry" news

some “industry” news …

Hopefully the idiots responsible for the subs-crap-tion model are amongst the guys being laid off. And some of the arrogant dudes only good at ignoring customer requests would also be nice to be seen amongst the freshly unemployed. The person insisting on a dark background forum software would also be a promising candidate.

Although I think it will be the opposite around. As the world goes, these types will continue to sabotage the product. C1 has some 4 years old function requests in a pipeline I imagine to be a very rusty thin tube, spider cobs around and hundreds of holes in a row. No real innovation and trying to squeeze more money out of customers might be not the best business model, who knows?

Pity is, if one company fails the others have no reason to become better.

1 Like

““We’re very happy that we’ve been able to find a new owner in Axcel, which has significant experience of developing technology businesses,” CEO Henrik Håkonsson said at the time. “We see a significant opportunity to grow and further strengthen our position in the coming years. I’m convinced that, together with Axcel, we can take Phase One to the next level.””

Ah, I’ve seen this a lot lately. Some big company borrows lot of fiat to acquire smaller ones and has no interests in their core business or customers, so they either shut it down, sell parts of it, or merge it with some bigger company, while people who actually still care about users and are developers, have no say in it, and could be fired at any point, so everything slows down for months and than you get public announcement they have been sold off. Usually its a slow death for the company. Last good company that had this same problem last year was iZotope, before that it was Evernote, and many others companies, and now Capture One.

Axcel is a Nordic private equity firm with offices in Stockholm and Copenhagen. Since its foundation in 1994, Axcel has made 68 platform investments. The firm currently owns 19 companies across all four [Nordic countries] Axel targets four industry verticals: business services/industrials, healthcare, IT & technology and consumer goods."

Well, now capture one is owned by bankers and lawyers, so forget capture one. RIP. Such a shame.

Unless DXO does the same, its good news for DXO actually, since they will inherent the market share no doubt , because some will avoid Adobe because of Adobe and with not too many good alternatives, DXO might get migrants.

4 Likes

@JoJu wrote:

“Pity is, if one company fails the others have no reason to become better.”

Maybe even DXO needs “a cultural revolution”.

2 Likes

It sounds like that’s the case, or well, not the ones who decided it, but the ones who communicated it:

The company did not provide details on how many were affected, but PetaPixel has learned that a significant portion of the communications team has been let go. Of note, this is the second time in the last year this particular team has been gutted. Not long after the announcement that the company would be moving to a subscription-only model, most of the public-facing communications team was let go. Around this time, Capture One also ended its contracts with external public relations support.

For several months, Capture One went without a communications team — at least one operating in North America. That changed by November when Capture One finally replaced that group, but that team has now been, again, let go after a brief stint that lasted only a few months.

chairman M is ready to take over !

1 Like

I know one thing - the U2U forum implementation ( engine ) that C1 has ( once they separated from P1 in 2020 ) is total cr$p … I stopped participating back then because I can’t stand it , when it was one company ( P1 ) the forum was OK, phpBB style …

1 Like

I had a brief encounter with C1/Mac and P65 in a studio. It was great for portraits. Once you tuned your preset, it was quick to fine tune and hand over to Photoshop pixel editors. However, for landscapes it was quite poor, e.g. its Clarity implementation was even worse than in LR.
So, few months ago, I gave C1 a try. During the first launch Windows warned me of some security problem and I gave up. Switched to DPL. Maybe I was lucky, maybe not. Maybe DxO is another microTitanic, maybe some companies will form a stronger competition to Adobe, which once was a good pack of people and looks now like it passed its peak. Maybe we will see LR/PS in every smartphone (or does it happen already?). The market is shrinking…

they have 4 flavors of clarity : classic punch natural and neutral - not that it makes it better

I have only used an ancient version, which was tuned for PhaseOne studio photos and skin tones and I’ve heard they improved a lot in other areas later. Perhaps more context specific sliders like these would be useful in DPL too. ClearVision brings too much halos sometimes.

Sorry Milan, what are you smoking there? Boeing’s doors did not fall off because of any diversity hires, but because of exactly the opposite, greedy old white men could not get enough and were cutting off all engineering costs. I am sure with a more diverse management, there would have been more responsibility and awareness of their actions and effects on human life.

Sames goes for Capture One. I doubt that the decision to go subscription based and to communicate it in their manner was done by a diverse management team.

Its all right there for you to read, officially. Its not like they are hiding it. I mean they are promoting hiring people for airlines that are quite literally retarded. Their own hiring practices they are promoting. Mentally challenged if you like. I can’t explain to you what you refuse to see.

FAA’s diversity push includes focus on hiring people with ‘severe intellectual’ and ‘psychiatric’ disabilities
By Emma Colton, Fox News Published Jan. 14, 2024 Updated Jan. 15, 2024, 9:45 a.m. ET

The Federal Aviation Administration is actively recruiting workers who suffer “severe intellectual” disabilities, psychiatric problems and other mental and physical conditions under a diversity and inclusion hiring initiative spelled out on the agency’s website.

“Targeted disabilities are those disabilities that the Federal government, as a matter of policy, has identified for special emphasis in recruitment and hiring,” the FAA’s website states. “They include hearing, vision, missing extremities, partial paralysis, complete paralysis, epilepsy, severe intellectual disability, psychiatric disability and dwarfism.”

The initiative is part of the FAA’s “Diversity and Inclusion” hiring plan, which claims “diversity is integral to achieving FAA’s mission of ensuring safe and efficient travel across our nation and beyond.”

The FAA’s website shows the agency’s guidelines on diversity hiring were last updated on March 23, 2022.

The FAA, which is overseen by Secretary Pete Buttigieg’s Department of Transportation, is a government agency charged with regulating civil aviation and employs roughly 45,000 people.

I just posted a screenshot of C1 promoting a photo from photographers based on “diversity” and you are still of the mindset that De-Nile is just another river in Egypt. I can’t help you with that.

sshot-3657

Look at their promo page, all very, very “diverse”. No “white” people allowed. With typical double speak like “unconscious bias”… I guess the only thing missing is the communist struggle sessions. Like in Disney, CocaCola, IBM etc.

The U.S. FAA does not build or maintain airplanes.

I hope the developers and the counting elves at Capture One can focus on the task to get Capture One into shallow waters and avoid a disaster. CO is a far too important product to be left in the hands of ignorant financial puppies.

1 Like

one can wish for AI/ML Noise Reduction finally coming to C1 in 2025 … but one can wonder how they are going to do it - like DxO ( w/o intermediate files ) or like Adobe ( through some intermediate proxy file like DNG in Adobe )

Given Fox’s well known proclivity to spin their “news” reports to pander to the prejudices of certain less-informed segments of the population, I wouldn’t put too much credence in this article.