Some clouds HAVE to be in colour

Specifically, the rare type known as nacreous clouds:

In 2016 I was fortunate to see some of these stunningly beautiful clouds over my house.

1 Like

Oh yes! Wonderful. I have never witness that exact phenomenon, but I have seen, what I can only describe as, an ice halo around the sun…

And, yes, I did resort to ClearView Plus for this one :wink:

Here’s another image, a two frame (hand-held) panorama stitched, and a small amount of auto-complete, by MS ICE.

6 Likes

Taken a while ago, but with PhotoLab I could bring the colours to life.

6 Likes

Two quick thoughts - first, I love the way you brought out the colors, but second, the photo makes me think of “nuclear war”, more “scary” than “beautiful”.

Welcome to the forum!

Well that’s how nature presented itself to me and the only thing I had to do, is make sure everything the sensor captured, is reproduced. The way PhotoLab works, makes it intuitive to me.

Well, while some clouds really look best in B&W, others just HAVE to be in color. On one of my earliest trips to Patong Beach, Phuket, I went down to the beach without my camera, just enjoying the walk. When I saw this, I took out my Nokia N95 phone, and captured this image.

I may have added extra saturation and vibrancy, but the photo still doesn’t come close to what the scene looked like to my eyes. The colors were overwhelming, but as I stood there, they started to go away, and eventually were gone.

To @stuck, I have no idea what type of clouds these are, and I love the way you captured so much more detail than I was able to see. For reasons I don’t understand, sunsets and clouds in Thailand are often overwhelming with color and detail that I don’t/rarely get to see in Florida.

Part of me wants to make the beach-walker more prominent in the photo, but another part of me says to leave things as-is.

Same scene, different day, different weather, different sky…

…and another day.

Patong Beach was a great place for sunsets!
Enough sunsets for me…

To @mikemyers, I have no idea why you don’t know what type of clouds these when the text and the link that unaccompanied my picture explain exactly what type of clouds these are.

What I was trying to say was that if someone spread out one or two dozen photos of clouds, and asked me to name which was which, the only clouds I know “by name” are “cumulus” clouds. There is a website of common cloud types:

…but just like trees, or flowers, or bees, or birds, or ducks, I’m lost. Sometimes I’m good with train engines, or cameras, and as a kid I could identify every car I saw.

Yes, you posted the information about the clouds in your photo, but as a general comment, I’m lost in identifying things like that. I’ve never seen clouds like what you showed, and I probably never will.

But your point, “some clouds HAVE to be in color/colour” I completely agree with. What I know best is “cumulus”, and B&W is usually just fine, as they don’t have color - just “white” as far as I know.

Sorry for the confusion, and thank you for posting those wonderful images.

If a 1958 US made car drove by me, THEN I would instantly recognize it - but nowadays most cars look pretty much the same to me, other than the logo.

A much more definitive reference…

https://cloudappreciationsociety.org/cloud-library/

I saw those in my holiday.
Right from the sun high in the air.
Didn’t bring my camera with me doh because i was planning to swim and be on the beach. Which isn’t a good place to be for camerasystems.
Salty air , sand, moist. And maybe some people who are not able to resist the pick up when i am in the water.

This was a day before and i did use my camera too.(this was a whatsapp image for those who where at home.)

Next day i planned to swim and the low tide was near it’s reverse to high tide.
Safest moment to get in the water because no pulling you in the oceaan only gently pushing you back on shore and some drifting along the beach line.
Notisch the guard tower which is for high tide purpose.

Later that day on the way back i saw a rainbow cloud soletairy high in the air revealing a cold air flow arriving to end the sunny weather.

You did a nice job getting it captured.

I saved that page as a bookmark under the general heading “photography”. Amazing. Have you memorized these?

I can’t speak for @Joanna but I haven’t, why would I? I can always search for the information if I need it.

1 Like

Indeed. The key to knowledge is not necessarily knowing stuff - it’s knowing where to find it.

I once did some programming consultancy for a client that an agency found. He asked a question and I picked up one of my reference manuals (in those days about 1000 pages), browse the index and turned to the appropriate page.

Having paid the agency £1000 for a day of my time (of which I only got part) he came out “I didn’t pay £1000 for you to have to look stuff up!”. Apparently he was expecting God herself turning up, even though it only took me about two minutes to find the answer.

Tonight’s colorful sky and clouds over Miami, Florida.
Two minutes later, the color was gone.

780_6403 | 2024-08-15.nef (26.7 MB)
780_6403 | 2024-08-15.nef.dop (13.7 KB)

2 Likes

Fleetwood (North West England, Irish Sea coast) looking towards Rossall Point:

2 Likes

Beautiful! And what a contrast between nature and madmade!

Hello,

At the tip of Brittany, it is common to see this type of halo, and seafarers say that it announces an imminent storm :wind_face:, moreover the larger the diameter of the halo the closer the storm is… close your shutters!

Amicalement,
Claude