Sensitivity of the white balance slider

From time to time I need to manually white balance my pictures. This can get quite tricky since small slider movements lead to huge changes in color temperature. It would be helpful if the sensitivity of the slider could be linked to the speed of the mouse movement: slow movement > little changes, fast movement > bigger changes.

Darktable has a very interesting interface concept for this: a kind of lever extends downwards from the actual controller. The closer you operate this lever to the actual slider, the more the latter moves. With increasing distance, the change becomes smaller and smaller, so that minimal changes can be controlled very precisely.

Once I’m close to what I want, I use the arrow up/down sliders to change WB. Each key press changes temperature by 50 degrees Kelvin or about 1% in relation to daylight temperature.

Anyways, welcome to the forum @Meloha - and don’t forget to vote for your proposal.

I just realised what a mouse jockey I am :slight_smile: But, of course, you’re right. That’s a perfect work around. Thank you very much!

Hello and welcome. As a mouse jockey, I suggest a mouse with a DPI switch close to the mouse-wheel. Then you don’t have issues with the sensitivity of anything (irrespective of software) reacting too much to mouse movements as you can assign different speeds to the pointer and simply switch between them.

I can’t recommend one as I don’t know which ones also come with software to configure the settings on a MAC (they do exist). Perhaps the MAC specific generic options are sufficient. You can find the relevant information by searching for how to set-up a gaming mouse on a MAC. Or look for a MAC mouse with DPI switch. For use under Windows there are too many to choose from.

I do however recommend getting one that has some form of visible lighting which can be set to change colour based on the DPI setting selected, as it can get a bit confusing if you assign multiple speeds and are not yet used to switching between them regularly.