Search not working after images moved

@BHAYT Information for you before I read your latest.

=======
For image DSCF1365_1678.JPG, dop as follows:

1<<< Laptop Internal

Overrides = {
}
Version = “17.3”,
}
ShotDate = “2018-11-08T12:47:00.0000000Z”,
ShouldProcess = 2,
Uuid = “09146BCB-6C8B-47E4-8685-B3F28A234F31”,
}
}
Uuid = “D4C6A426-E16A-48CC-88DB-8EF541BD4EFA”,
}
Version = “17.0”,
}

2<<< USB SSD, copy taken before opening on Desktop

Overrides = {
}
Version = “17.3”,
}
ShouldProcess = 2,
Uuid = “09146BCB-6C8B-47E4-8685-B3F28A234F31”,
}
}
Uuid = “D4C6A426-E16A-48CC-88DB-8EF541BD4EFA”,
}
Version = “17.0”,
}

3<<< USB SSD, opened on Desktop, added to newly created Project Group ‘Collection’ and within that, Project ‘Allan’. Contents after adding image to ‘Allan’ and displaying it in ‘Collection’. Then, closing Desktop PL6 normally … then opening the dop in Notepad BEFORE opening the database on the Laptop (so this is the dop as edited by Desktop PL6).

Overrides = {
}
Version = “17.3”,
}
ShouldProcess = 2,
Uuid = “72FC336E-4E63-47F6-A270-09E3D41C07A3”,
}
}
Uuid = “D0624DBD-8D05-4E2F-ADF7-613B403B2314”,
}
Version = “17.0”,
}

NOTE - The UUIDs are the same for >1< and >2< but they should be as they are the same file. But once opened in PL6 on Desktop and placed in a Project, both UUIDs change.

Upon opening in Laptop PL6 I get the much-expected M and 1 copies.

The case for the prosecution rests.

Clive

Which database? Both installations of PL6 are pointing at c:\usb\sandisk\dxo\database\ folder - and there is only one database there (though there are numerous ‘database - copy’, ’ … copy (1)’ etc also there).

There is a single database on the desktop d:\dxo\database\ but that is dated Saturday so cannot be complicating matters. The original in AppData has been deleted. I have just opened PL6 on the desktop and the database on the usb ssd shows today 10:09hr and the two temporary files as 10:13hr.

In respect of your suggestion using a handful of images, I think I did that on my earlier trial, detailed in the emails which crossed.

Clive

@roadcone I do not understand why in your previous write up the ‘Projects’ went missing!? That suggests that either DxPL failed to save them, unlikely except in the case of moving the database when there is no database in the new “target” location!

This is not what I expected (I think) nor what I have seen in my previous “round trip” testing, where the DOPs were retained even though I was using one set of data with two databases on two machines rather than one set of data with one database (but two machines) nor what I achieved in my tests which appeared to work perfectly!

So I need to repeat my old tests to see if they still work or whether DxPL has been changed (possibly reverted back to old bad ways) but the tests in an earlier post appeared to work as I expected!?

ReTest:-

1. Machine A (Main) database set to T:

2. Locate Test directory and create Projects

1. Backup the database

2. Close DB and check data with Baseline

1. Safely detach the USB SATA drive from A and transfer to machine B

2. Open PL6.7.0 on B and check database settings and navigate to image directory

1. Confirm ‘Projects’ still present and working

1. Add more VCs and create more ‘Projects’

1. Close PL5 and dismount drive on B.

2. Transfer an connect drive to machine A and check the DOPs, which have new timestamps and the additional user created VCs

1. Open PL6.7.0 on A and navigate to the test directory. All present and correct as hoped for!!

Clive I don’t know exactly what went wrong with your tests but

If all your VCs are just copies of the [M]aster then you could ‘sort’ on VC and delete the additional VCs but your user created VCs will get in the way of that!!

We need to get to the bottom of exactly went “wrong” to ensure it does not happen again and then see if there is a way of recovering without doing it all again.

@BHAYT Missing Projects: Previously, with the usb ssd on the laptop I added a Project Group ‘Collection’ and to that, a Project Group ‘Bridge’ and to that, four Bridge Camera models. Then I dragged images from XNViewMP as described in other posts. When I moved the usb ssd to the desktop they were missing. That is, no Projects were to be seen. So I started again.

There is no problem with all these VC that are being created - I am simply replacing all the dop on the usb ssd with those from the master copy on the laptop internal drive. At present, all effort is in trying to get this sorted and I’m not actually editing any images so the usb ssd dop files are not yet master.

Your test with a few images and projects, then adding more of each on a second machine and testing again with the original is exactly what I am trying to do. But I can’t and I don’t know why!

Clive

@roadcone and sadly neither do I. However, I started with the data on the USB SSD, copied there from an HDD (image and associated DOP).

I then “discovered” the images on System A after changing the database location to a directory on the USB SSD (T: on that system).

I created VCs and also Projects before closing PL6.7.0 on System A, followed by dismounting the drive on A before attaching it to System B. PL6.7.0 on B was configured to use the database on the USB SSD (D: on that system).

The ‘Projects’ were all present and correct and the directories were then located on the USB SSD before adding more VCs and projects, closing PL6.7.0 on B, releasing the USB SSD from B and transferring back to A etc. etc.

The missing ‘Projects’ is an indicator that something went very wrong, i.e. ‘Projects’ are stored in their own database structure and in another structure are the pointers to the image files that are members of the ‘Project’. What typically happens is that projects are still present but point to images that cannot be located not that the projects vanish completely.

Only when DxPL copied the database to a new location after the creation of ‘Projects’ were any ‘Projects’ found to be missing. This can be avoided by closing the database after the creation of the ‘Projects’, re-opening (checking that all ‘Projects’ are present and then changing the location if the database is copied it should be complete!?

I wonder if when you changed the database location there was already a database on the USB SATA drive? By default DxPL would then use this database after a restart. To avoid that problem you either physically copy the correct database to the new location on the USB SSD or I believe that using

to ‘Restore’ the database from its original location should also achieve the same after a ‘Restart’. IF there was a database would it have contained all the images from a previous attempt, which “might” have caused the database/DOP Uuid mismatch?! I say “might” because DxPL does seem to use an existing DOP Uuid when creating new database entries rather than allocating a new one (which I feel that it used to do). In addition just discovery a DOP does not seem to trigger and automatic DOP update unless an edit is done (DxPL creating a VC would count as such an edit!!)

I am still puzzled.

Regards

Bryan

PS:- What generation are the DOPs? You do not/have not had those images and their DOPs open by both system at the same time? I also had problems when I opened images with DOPs across the LAN, first from one system and then from another or something like that when I was trying to “split” a set of images to process half the exports on one machine and half on the other!