Raw white balance multiple selection edits problem

When a raw image has white balance set to “as shot” and you modify the color temperature slider to shift the white balance, “as shot” changes to “manual/custom” as expected.

When 10 raw images are selected, and the first image is set to “manual/custom” and the other 9 images are set to “as shot”, when you change the slider, all images should be changed to manual/custom, but the 9 images remain “as shot” and the color temperature isn’t changed for those 9.

This is a bug and should be fixed. The proper behavior would be for all images to have the same resulting color temperature after the edit.

(I select 10 images and change the color temperature, all should have the same color temperature.)

(Windows version 6.12)

When selecting the 10 images, select the image that has it set to custom last (i.e. select one where it is not set first). Then it will change the WB for all of them.

1 Like

It works here as expected - Win11, PL 7.2.

That doesn’t work if I’m trying to make small adjustments to the custom WB and apply them to the rest of the images.

This should just work. It doesn’t.

Works for me in Windows version 6.8. I did not try 6.12. Should perhaps have mentioned it.

@MikeR and that is exactly what happens on my system Win10 with PL7.2.

Before

After I slightly over the top change in ‘Temperature’

and then after a CRTL Z

PS:- @MikeR My extensive use of snapshots annoys some forum users but the only way I can demonstrate issues is by attempting to show them. In addition if I find an error which I then fail to reproduce then I have evidence that it happened. Evidence for me to confirm exactly what I saw, for me, for DxO support and for the forum, as appropriate.

I have just downloaded PL6.12 so will try to reproduce you problem when I have installed that release.

PPS:- PL6.12

after CTRL Z

Sorry I just pasted without taking a new snapshot!!

It is possible that my starting conditions do not exactly match yours, have you tried to reproduce the problem?

I think those are starting conditions :

Indeed I’ve got the same bug in PL v6.11.0 window. First image alone is modified.
Only workaround : copy/paste setting.
Selecting image set to manual/custom last is not an option, since I think the idea is to start modification at the values entered in the already manually set image; not at “as shot” images values. So image set as manual/custom MUST be selected first.

So, so, so many little things … many boxes seem to be pierced. I even don’t see the need of betat tester to see this when creating this function. Just use it once !

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. There are some other weirdness things like when I select all and change the color temperature to, say, 3000, all of the previews change…

But then when I click over to one of the images that was previously “as shot”, for an instant the color temperature shows 3000 (but still as shot is showing) then the color temperature changes back, and then the preview is reverted to the as shot temperature…

It’s like the software knows I tried to change the color temperature, but since “as shot” was not also modified to “manual”, as soon as I click back onto the image, the software reverts the manual change.

Anyway as I said this is a bug and should be fixed…

1 Like

Did you send a message to dxo support about this ? I think this is the only real place to ask for bug correction.
Just give them a very precise step by step way to reproduce those bugs.
If they can reproduce them they transmit the problem to development staff.

@MikeR I tried it first on JPGs

where it has been applied to image 1 before including image 1 in a larger selection and the WB changed again

where is seems to be working as expected.

But with RAWs we have

and then

So I apologise for not testing it correctly.

It doesn’t need a vote, it is a bug and as @JoPoV stated it needs to be reported as such to DxO support. Posting it here provides an opportunity to warn others, seek confirmation about the nature of the problem (if/when they test it correctly) and allow others to provide an insight into possible reasons, possible workarounds etc. but only DxO can fix the problem and we don’t know that they even monitor the forum at all these days.

1 Like

Don’t apologize. You do so much.
DxO should award you a medal.

1 Like

@JoPoV Thank you, I try - peoples patience!!

I don’t want anything from DxO except some actual straightforward involvement with the user base!

It might lead to some wrongs being put right and some genuinely useful enhancements that might actually persuade users to part with their cash while encouraging new users to try the product and, hopefully, join the “club”.

To transfer an edited color temperature, simply copy and paste it into the selection
(RAW White Balance).

With RGB files you can adjust the white balance for an entire series of images at once
graphic
and avoid unifying the individual color temperatures of different images.
I use it when ordering photobooks.

I am a long time user of DXO. Of course I know this. The software should still work. So I’m not sure what you’re saying.

Are you saying the reported behavior is okay and doesn’t need to be addressed?

Re: RGB white balance I never use that control because I only edit RAWs in DXO and it is not available.

@MikeR I believe that @Wolfgang was simply offering an alternative route to achieve what you wanted.

The issue is

1. That it should work the way you described for White Balance because that is the normal behaviour for other settings.
  2. It works that way with JPGs as I demonstrated.
  3. It works that way with the RAWs if the first RAW in the group has not been assigned a value before the attempt to assign a new value to a group, as I demonstrated in my tests that ignored your original description of the problem (sorry but I knew that test would come in useful - smiley face but I hate picking from the emojis).

Therefore it is a bug and not a feature I repeated the test on PL7.2 and got the following

The first 5 were from the PL6.12 test and the same problem appears to persist in PL7.2.

The next 5 were selected as a group and assigned a WB and before I let go of the mouse button only the first of the group changed to show the WB value but when I released the mouse button the others also changed.

Clicking on the images that failed to adopt the WB value shows

before returning to the original “as shot” value and this occurs for all 4 “failed” images!

Well, i had taken a few experiments to find out about the scenarios.

• At present you need to select the whole group of pics, before you start to adjust the RAW White Balance, which then synchronizes your settings.

• If you have already edited an image, the easiest way is to copy and paste the settings.
    Now selecting another image from the group and setting it as manual would override the edit.
    As long the pics were taken with the same (quite similar) color temperature, applying the very same setting (edit) to all of them shouldn’t give headaches.
    But if choosing a bunch of pics with different (individual) color temperature to then move the overall WB only works with RGB files.
    BTW, LR offers separate sliders for color temperature and tint also for RGB-files,
    while DPL has a single cold-warm-balance slider only.

Let’s see, if DxO is listening.