PureRAW compatibility for RAW smartphone images (Pixel 6 Pro)

Clearly there is a MUCH larger userbase for whatever cell phone than there is for many of the camera/sensors that DXO works with. So then…what IS the reason various cell phones aren’t compatible with PureRAW?

I see this has been mentioned many times - but I guess they only way to get Pixel/other cell phone DNG files into PureRAW is to keep asking and asking and asking and asking…

So…I’m asking…

Thanks…

I’d be astonished if DxO updated phone support within the next 5 years.

Check this page out:

Only DxO can answer that question and I’ll be astounded if DxO were to answer that question. Their silence means all you’ll get by way of an answer of speculation.

This has been explained multiple times before.

DNG files are just containers, which can contain all sorts of stuff, as well as a block of RAW data. But a lot of phones do not create a true RAW file but, often, an image that has already been treated by the phone software.

There are just too many variables and it would need access to the manufacturers’ algorithms in order to decode the proprietary format.

1 Like

PureRAW is about fixing lens and camera body flaws. And while loads of photos are taken with phones, those captures are intended for social interaction rather than for architectural documentation. Moreover, we get loads of new phones every year, which makes DxO’s approach a kind of Sisyphus job. Supporting phones by ignoring their preprocessing and technical flaws (whatever they might be) could lead to an other/different DxO Application, one that is not according to DxO’s DNA. DxO had such ambitions until a few years ago (ca. 2017), when the roof broke and buried that ambition.

But isn’t this true of ANY raw format from ANY camera manufacturer?

“DNG files are just containers, which can contain all sorts of stuff, as well as a block of RAW data. But a lot of phones do not create a true RAW file but, often, an image that has already been treated by the phone software.”