PL1 - October 26, 2017
PL2 - October 24, 2018
PL3 - October 23, 2019
PL4 - October 21, 2020
PL5 - October 20, 2021
PL6 - October 5, 2022
PL7 - September 27, 2023

1 Like

Frank and Mark have answered. The important thing in my post is not “October” but to remember to add PL8 to the list when it will be released.

Apologies, for opening this thread up, but I have found another way of speeding DXO PL up, that may help others.

Using Device Manager

You can use the device manager to disable the High Precision Event Timer. I’ll show you how to use device manager settings to disable HPET.

From search, type Device Manager and press Enter to open settings.
Locate System devices.
Right click on High Precision Event Timer and select Disable to stop the HPET service.
1 Like

Can you estimate the gain it has brought you ?
Or give comparative numbers ?
What is your OS ?

gotta be real careful disabling the windows hpet.

If you are doing anything with multimedia that requires syncing or editing video / audio, you really, really want that hpet running and available. If your system hosts internal raid of any kind, same thing.

In ‘perfect’ conditions, you can gain back 3-7% cpu disabling hpet and forcing windows to use the internal rtc clock for timings. At the risk of messing up system processes and hardware that get heavily used and need precise synchronization.

A safer approach is to disable CPU-based hyperthreading in your system BIOS. This is the Intel/AMD/IBM-Power tech that lets most cores run two instruction threads on one physical core. Made sense back in the day when disk and memory systems couldn’t keep up. Now with really fast single-core performance, huge internal caches, and much faster secondary disk/memory, the theoretical gains from HT are not worth the overhead of 10-15%. Yes, 10-15%. This is on top of the persistent cache-coherency security problems surrounding Intel and AMD hyperthreading.

The differences are so striking that Intel is quietly dropping support for HyperThreading from the new core and core ultra cpu lines. AMD is doing the same with new-gen Ryzen.

And, as always, make sure that your video card drivers are fully up to date. For example, about a year ago Nvidia made some internal changes to their drivers that resulted in CUDA processing gains of 15-20%. For Free.

4 Likes

The speed difference is greatly increased, previews are loading almost instantly, where before the spinning wheel took an age to work its way through 30 odd images, before I could edit. The CPU use would also be in the 70s

Running on Windows 10 with all the latest updates.
Realise I am on relative old machine with the following spec:
|Processor|Intel(R) Core™ i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz|
|Installed RAM|32.0 GB|
|System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor| but all now seems manageable.

I found the suggestion for disabling HPE How To Improve Gaming Performance By Disabling HPE... - AMD Community and also from a YouTube video on CPU useage.

I realise these suggestions were specific to gamers but seems to have worked for me.

@Sparky2006 You make excellent points and I will certainly have a look at my Bios settings.

Thanks for input, a great and supportive forum.