Pont de Térénez

Taken at 15h with full overhead sun, I am not sure if this “works” and would value comments…

After running it through Topaz Photo AI…

1 Like

Nice job! about a bridge that I like for its curve. You gave a view which focuses on the bridge only and that’s not easy

I would like to see a colour version of this shot. Or at least one that contrasted the (I imagine) monochrome of the road and cables with the colour of the background. My €0.02.

@Joanna , thank you, fantastic motif. Compared both by 100%. Sorry, did not identify any difference. (or I need new glasses). At 200% !! the topaz version seems to be little bit sharper - but so what?

I think I get your drift about ‘works’ - hard to get a composition I imagine given its height etc in the landscape and eliminating distractions. In terms of a contrast to the surroundings and showing its architecture then I think it works great :+1:

Well, almost.

Your wish. is my command. Here is the full frame version that I am equally not quite happy with…

No, the difference is minuscule, but I just wanted to see if it made enough of a difference.

Many thanks. I will be going there again in the next couple of days. Just before sunset, the sun should be to the right and the opposite bank of the river should put the trees more into shadow and reduce the amount of detail, thus separating the cables of the bridge better.

At least, that’s what the app known as TPE (The Photographer’s Ephemeris) tells me.

Oh, and there really is only one precise point to get the majority of the bridge in the shot, as shown by Google Street View…

Give it a few more years and the trees will have grown too much.

Thanks Joanna, interesting! I can see why you wanted to de-emphasise the foliage. Now I have seen the full colour version, my artistic intention would be to find a way of selecting the foliage and blurring it enough to make the still sharp bridge appear to have been dropped on the landscape.

Well, in theory, just before sunset, there should be enough light coming from the right to illuminate the bridge cables without too much on the trees on the lower slopes of the valley side. I’m going to do a lot of calculating to see if I can also find an aperture that will blur the background a bit. I really don’t fancy painting a mask between cables.

or something like that …

_JNA0004_3_DxO.jpg.dop (22,8 KB)

contrasting lines and dots

I really don’t fancy painting a mask between cables.

That I can understand! I am still thinking in terms of the first photo apps I used, both of which could do some kind of “flood select” on the basis of (not necessarily contiguous) dropper selections.

As a novice with DxO’s local adjustments, I hesitate … but can’t the control point select on the basis of colour match?

I’m sorry but is the antithesis of what I’m after. I found this on Pinterest to illustrate the look

Just played around with it on the phone:

IMG_3018

Inverting the image also looks interesting :blush:

The pinterest (anyone actually figured out what Pinterest is for? But that’s for another thread!) shot isn’t what I meant. As evidence of my incompetence with Affinity Photo 2 (the tool I use for bit manipulation) I utterly failed to make the “Flood selection” pick out the pillars and cables so as to blur the inverted selection …
Looking forward to seeing your sunset version

For a phone edit of a small version, that’s not bad, but the cables are still not as distinct as I want. Nonetheless, it certainly shows my intent.

Hmmm. Nice idea and thank you but, not this time :slightly_smiling_face:

Yeah, I cannot really evaluate that on the small screen, and I also pushed noise reduction to the maximum just as a method to blur the trees :melting_face: .
There are certainly better ways, but like you said, it was just to convey the idea.