PL8 definitely an improvement

You don’t need to use AFP.

In that case wouldn’t it be much faster and simpler to launch SEP using the Nik Collection button directly from within PhotoLab? You can always go to Affinity later to print.

Mark

1 Like

It’s not but if you want to use NIK filters why not use them in an environment for which they were designed, i.e. a pixel editor?

I know you see no point to NIK but some people like NIK.

1 Like

That only makes sense to me if you are intending to edit the image in Affinity before or after you send it to Nik. If as you indicated for this scenario you are not editing in Affinity then launching Nik from a pixel editor rather than from without PhotoLab seems irrelevant and adds unnecessary steps.

1 Like

It is. Not diminished but less needed. Top end lens have very good quality all across the frame, so lot less to correct.
Even more so if you use them at their best aperture.

But are you sure your lens module is loaded ?

yes loaded only have 3

This may come across as a dumb/strange comment.

PL8 for me as a beginner has made editing easier whereas seasoned professionals may not see as much value and might wait for next year to upgrade.

Yep - Ditto that.

1 Like

John - the problem is that DxO shot themselves in the foot by breaking up PhotoLab into separately available modules. There should be one PhotoLab including PL Elite, Viewpoint and FilmPack. All three are needed to get the full PhotoLab experience.

I have always been an advocate of this. PhotoLab should have all the embedded features available with a single license at some reasonable higher price than the current cost of Elite alone and without the stand-alone versions of VP and FP. The Stand-alone versions could be marketed separately for those who want them. There would be far less pricing confusion and users would get everything PhotoLab has to offer.

However, I don’t know their business module and why they hold on to the current approach which seems so detrimental to marketing their software.

Mark

9 Likes

Like this you can ask for a photolab upgrade.
Then 2 month later for a viewpoint upgrade that nobody saw coming (except testers).

And you mix 1 and 2 years of renewal necessary to obtain the reduction of former users, just to be sure nobody gets what’ happening.
You never announce release date and can shorten cycle when you want.

And you get what ?

Probably lot more in your pocket.

Till when ?
That’s an other story !!!

1 Like

Bit of talk about optical corrections.

Put my best lens on basically negligable no difference in my opinion .
Dug up a kit lens ive not used for maybe 3 yrs and yes was marked improvement.

My beginners thoughts if it needs optical corrections it will if it doesnt it wont.

Interesting. Maybe your lens resolve your sensor and this is what PL targets for lens softness ?
What are your camera and this lens ?

put o photo up you will see it there :grinning: Canon r6ii and 70/200 2.8 but put kit lens of RP i got years ago 24/105??? optical correction works. And i think @John-M review alluded to it

2 Likes

Yes - that’s how the Optics Modules work …

As noted in this review of PLv8;

In fact, the more ‘ordinary’ your camera gear, the more PhotoLab improves it. If you’re using the latest full frame sensor and the best pro lenses, the gains may be pretty modest, but with cheaper or older camera gear, the gain in image quality is huge. It really can change your mind about obsolescence and ‘old’ sensors.

1 Like

This one : Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS III USM ?

Canon RF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Lens

OK.
I thought zoom in this price range would benefit from DxO optical correction since I have prime lens in this range and they benefit of it.

Don’t forget I’m a beginner and others on here way more qualified to comment. Just what I’ve observed

I think your eyes are good enough to see difference if you check and uncheck image softness when viewed at 100% (maybe more difficult to see in main window (not in “loupe”) when image has lot of noise). Need small details to see it clearly.
But indeed difference can become hudge with entry-level lenses.

1 Like

Silver Efex creates black and white images which FilmPack cannot touch (or requires a lot of extreme fiddling to get therein PhotoLab). I like the colour part of FilmPack but don’t have much time for the BW part. Joanna and I had a spat some time ago about this, where I simply ran out of time and breath to argue (DxO’s lack of support for mobile photography, and DxO’s lack of support for more than the latest versions of macOS have killed much of my enthusiasm for their products and arguments around them).

In any case, my workflow for BW is to create a good colour version (assuming you are starting with a colour image) with rich colours and good contrast, and then send it over to Silver Efex. In Silver Efex one can make short work of creating solid contrasty black and white images which look like they were:

1. shot on black and white
  2. intended to be black and white

To my eye, FilmPack BW always looks like a colour image converted to BW, with too much detail, not enough contrast. Just colour pictures with the colour sucked out.

1 Like