PL6 stops loading all previews halfway with 'loading please wait ...'

Interesting: I left PLv6 in its stalled status whilst I had some dinner - having just come back now, I find all 1192 images happily displayed in the Image Browser (!)

Not ordinarily, no. The Cache is located in {Root}\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\DxO\DxO PhotoLab#\Cache … where # = PL version number.

Well done, Darrel — That’s it !!

I changed my personal Preset to use the Legacy/Classic WCS (and deleted the database and cache before re-starting PL) and PL loaded those same 1192 images very quickly and with no hesitation at all.

Please note: @Barbara-S

John M

Edit: This turned out to not be the cause after all - at least, not always. See below.

Good to manage to re-create the problem. It is annoying. you’re right you can still access the underlying RAW and edit etc but you’re working ‘blind’. I have resorted to using FastRawViewer in parallel to be able to see the picture and then I can locate it in PL6. On the workflow point … If I am on a wildlife / birds shoot I regularly come back with 500-1200 photos, and I typically have a directory for each shoot (day or am or pm). Splitting the directory into smaller chunks can be a workaround but a bit limiting. This was not an issue with PL2,3,4,5 so good that it will be looked at.

John - seems Darrel may have found the cause. Which is excellent. Any suggestions of steps I can make to work around this without losing existing editing in the database? If I clear cache and set WCS to Legacy/Classic in a new Preset which I then default to in Preferences, I can see how that may work for new directories … but not for existing directories which has DXO Standard preset applied with the wide gamut. If I have to ‘delete’ the database then I will lose years of individual edits (?). Am I overcomplicating this, or do we need to wait for a fix? Is there a way I can change the existing preset default (with the new gamut) without losing individual file edits done on top of the preset?

Hi John,

I created a new preset to use Legacy/classic WCS. Change the preference in PL 6 to use my new preset, delete the cache and the database. Restarted my PC, started PL 6 and I still get the the message "loading, please wait…’ after loading approx 1000 images. What have I missed ?
These are the files I deleted

C:\Users\HOMEPC2\AppData\Local\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 6\Cache
C:\Users\HOMEPC2\AppData\Roaming\DxO\DxO PhotoLab 6\Database

Ljc

I have the same Problem. Closing PL6 and restarting brings more thumbnails, but not all. I opened a trouble ticket and now I’m waiting for a solution. Also came some processed files from NIK-Filters back with strange filenames. For this issue I sent a separate trouble ticket.

Hi Jee

As long as you have the option to read/create sidecar files switched ON (via Preferences) then all your edit/correction details are stored in the sidecar/.dop file associated with each RAW file … and they’ll be re-ingested into a newly created database the next time that PL encounters that folder.

All the same, you should make the decision to delete the database with care and understanding - for example, if you search by keywords then that’s done via the database - and you will have needed to refresh the database from all folders containing sidecar files before that process will be complete again
Note: There’s an option for that: image

The reason I noted, in my test, that I had deleted the database is that PL will not apply one’s automatic preset if the RAW-image is already listed in the database - So, that step was needed to ensure that each RAW was deemed to be a “new” RAW … in order to have WCS=Classic override the existing W-G setting

I could equally have selected all RAWs in the Image Browser and changed the WCS setting in-bulk.

You’ve not missed anything that I can see - - - All I can offer is this;

• I repeated my test (on 1192 “new” RAWs) with my Preset having WCS=Classis
    – All images loaded in a couple of minutes, and I could scroll to the bottom and see them all.

• Same test, this time with my Preset having WCS=Wide-Gamut
    – It took a little longer to load the images, after which I could scroll to the bottom and see them all !!

So, it looks like that was not the cause after all - and it seems the problem is not evident all the time (at least, not on my system) … Mmmmmm !!

John

Thanks John. OK - so I have never used sidecar files. I can now see how that can be helpful if there is a database corruption as they get re-ingested. So very QQ for you: If I now switch sidecar ON and then enter a directory with previous edits will PL6 then create the sidecar files separately for each file with edits? Or, is there no way to introduce sidecar files for past edits which are now only in the core database? If the former, I can, over time, re-visit all my directories and create side car files.

To create Sidecar/.dop files;

• Point PL at each of your folders containing RAW files (assuming edits applied to them are stored in the database).
  • Select ALL images in the Image Browser
  • Invoke the File / Sidecars / Export option: image

John M

Hi John,
Just got an email from DXO support, issue causing the “loading, please wait message…” has been identified and will be fixed in the next release of the program, version 6.1. There is no date given for the release of 6.1 yet.
Ljc

4 Likes

Excellent - thanks LJC. It would have been interesting to understand what the bug was, but I assume they didn’t say. Hopefully there will be a 6.1 soon as there probably are a few niggles to sort out after the PL6 launch.

Thank you John - I read the manual and found it too - apologies I should have done that before I bothered you. I will now filter on ‘processed’ photos and export sidecars for those going forward. That provides a level of security against db corruption.

1 Like

Great news. While switching the default for the images to classic colour gamut allowed me to load over 1300 thumbnails in a folder, as I went through editing them using the wide colour gamut, afterva while the new edited thumnails would not load and come up with the error. So good that this has a fix in 6.1 along with the two other bugs I’ve had.

Is there something new ?
grafik
→ Windows version

6.0.1 has been out for a while.

checked your referred post – 6.1 will be coming then :slight_smile:

Yes I believe it’s scheduled for December.

That’s about the # of thumbnails it stalls out for me too. Doesn’t matter if it’s from different folders either. It seems to be total loaded since last software restart.

Possibly a DPL on Win issue.

Got no stalls with DPL 6.0.3.33 on macOS Monterey on iMac 2019.
Tested with a folder containing >1200 CR2 files plus respective XMP sidecars from Lightroom for a total of about 38 GB of data on the drive.

Memory load went up to almost 1GB out of the installed 40 GB. No swaps.

I already have a week or so ago.

And to those who believe this is about numbers: I don´t think it is:

Images not loading until you click on the one at the time - DxO PhotoLab - DxO Forums

As you can see in the case I have documented, I only have 12 TIFF-files in the folder my PC managed to hang.

I run Windows 11, i7 gen 12 processor, 16 GB RAW, 1 TB SSD-disk and a good graphics card in a new Gaming ACER Predator machine that use to process 33MB RAW with Deep Prime between 3-4 seconds and Deep Prime XD in 7-9 seconds. So I have hard to believe it´s something wrong with my machine performance.

So far nothing has happened with the support case I registered except a mail. I think it would be good if DXO could take the time to participate a little more and come back to us in one or another way.

I think this problem might be related to the more extensive use of the catalog/database in version 6. Both Lightroom and Capture One have had and still have issues with performance. When People upgraded from version 20 to 21 of Capture One, and using the general database mood (C1 has a Session mood too) there was the same type of complaints about performance.

I had severe problems long ago with both Lightroom 5 and 6 and after studying Kirk Bakers Lightroom manual I underdstood there is a performance cost in a system that consists both of a databas/Image Library and a RAW-converter. The ImageLibrary needs small previews to be fast when users want to cull their images but they don´t want those previews when postprocessing their RAW/TIFF or DNG. Then 1:1 previews are more ideal.

In Lightroom they had a lot of different choices here to make and they were all compromises and so is the case in Photolab. In version 5 we had to zoom to RAW quite a bit before the system scaled a high-resolution preview.

To take another example: Photo Mechanic Plus 6 which is a highly specialized culling and metadata editing tool. It is fast as a flash because it is specialized and don´t have to compromise when it comes to the previews, like the compromise plagued RAW-converters of today with integrated image databases.

Normally I use to integrate Photolab with Photo Mechanic and one of the really important reasons doing so is that I can avoid problems like these by searching/finding/selection what to open in Photolab with the “Edit selected photos with - Photolab.exe” in Photo Mechanic. It works fantastically well when you don´t have to wait always for a whole folder to get a refresh of the previews. Here it will instead always open just the images you want to work with for the moment - it might be a whole folder but it might also be limited to just a few selected images.

… and if you are into metadata editing - don’t do it in Photolab - do it in PM Plus instead because it´s so much more effective. If you just turn on “Synchronize” in Photolab all the metadata changes will be replicated to Photolab immediately.

I suppose it has to do with how memory is managed by the app and the OS…