PhotoLab misreads EXIF data sometimes?

I have several images that PhotoLab appears to misread the EXIF data for the lens used. PhotoLab thinks the D3 had a 98-280mm f/4 lens mounted (there is no such thing) while Lightroom Classic reads it as a 70-200mm f/2.8, which it was.

photolab

lr

Are others seeing this behavior?

in general it is always good to share the file …

Stupid question but you weren’t using a 1.4x extender, right?

70-200/2.8 x 1.4xTC = 98-280/4.0

1 Like

Not all lenses are recorded uniquely in the EXIF data.

According to Lightroom, I have shot over 6,600 frames with a Sigma APO 70-200mm F2.8 EX. I have never even owned a lens with that set of focal lengths, let alone with f/2.8!

Indeed, if I look at one of those frames that was clearly zoomed in a lot, it reports the “70-200” lens was at 300mm at the time. In other words, it was the Sigma 100-300mm that I used to own.

Given you report exactly the same focal range and aperture, I wonder if you are also using a Sigma zoom, or perhaps that nomenclature is just the default for a whole range of indistinguishable lenses.

That is an interesting possibility. I don’t think I had the extender on it, but it’s a photo from 2014 using a camera and lens I no longer own.

Capture One and Lightroom both report it as a 70-200mm f/2.8. But the exif.tools online utility shows this:

Odd that a 200mm lens would show a focal length of 210mm!

The more I learn about EXIF data, the more I don’t think I like it! And it must drive developers crazy.

1 Like

I bet you had an extender on.