PhotoLab Mac Users : Status on Catalina (formerly Don't upgrade to CATALINA topic)

Is there a way to make PhotoLab function as an Photos extension so we can send RAW from Apple Photos?
If not, is there a plan to support this in the future?

I always start my post processing with PL, and Iā€™m still most happy and excited by the results, which always includes 2 or 3 trips to NIK.

I am on Catalina (10.15.1) and have not had any issues inside PL. However, the completed files I send to the latest versions of LR and PS will not open there. I receive an error that the files are either unsupported or damaged. This happens with PL 2 and 3. (When I first opened PL 3 and got the introduction screen, I chose ā€˜Mergeā€™.)

Thanks so much for your help,

Guy

Thanks

As far as I can tell, Photos doesnā€™t send RAW files to its extensions, it creates a jpeg of the image in its current edited state.

Now I canā€™t speak for Catalina, but in Mojave, photos will send RAW files to extensions (Raw Power, Graphic Converter, Luminar, etc,) if the RAW photo has not been edited yet. DXO even has an app, DXO Optics Pro for Photos that receives a RAW from photos. Itā€™s a very limited & outdated app, Iā€™d like to be able to do the same with PhotoLab.

The way I understand the role Photos.app can play in your workflow, is only the collection of your processed images. Not the raw unprocessed images.

When using Adobe Lightroom or DxO PhotoLab, youā€™re still working ā€œaheadā€ of Photos.app.

Think of it as Photos.app being a digital photo album. You donā€™t tape film rolls in a photo album :slight_smile:

When you want to import images to Photos.app, you can ask to consolidate the photo library, which will effectively create copies of the imported photos in the file system bundle (the internal data structure where Photos.app does its magic). Whatever happens to your exported files (outside the Photos.app database) is then no longer a concern for Photos.app.

Then you donā€™t understand the Photos app. It can handle RAW files just fine. I have thousands of NEFs in my library - photos is my current DAM after Aperture was killed off.

I can edit RAWs in Photos or I can send the RAW to any extension app that supports RAWs to edit there. Afterwards, the edited image is available in Photos. Subsequent edits will not get the RAW (unless going back to the same extension that supports this), unless in photos you revert the edits and go back to RAW.

But the point is moot, until DXO enables PhotoLab to work as an extension, or I switch to a new DAM (which I will do, as soon as I find the right one).

I worked this out myself. Thanks,

Any news of an update for Silver Effex and DXO Black n White please

Also, I tried opening the CR3 raw files from a HD, but they show as ? in DXO PL2. I hoped that would be a workaround. Sadly itā€™s notā€¦

Thanks.

I just updated Catalina and Iā€™m running DxO PhotoLab 2.3.3.47
Photos still donā€™t show in the Photo Library.