Photolab for iPad (pro)

I would insta buy an iPad version. I want the deep prime noise reduction on my iPad.

Maybe a PureRaw for iPad Pro could be feasible before a full or light PL App can be made …

1 Like

So how does it looks like today for Apps on the iPad pro ?
Soon the new models with latest M chips will be announced.
Luminar also brought a new App for iPad.
Any new possibilities ?

Time to bring this subject up again.
iPad Pro with M4 chip are here in a few days… phenomenal power.
And the new Apple Pencil Pro brings more possibilities too.

What is missing is a real good raw converter / editor App for iPadOS.

Now the question is… does someone still use DxO’s software with a mobile + touch & pen workflow on the iPad ?
Or do we have to switch to something else ?
What would it be ?
DxO PureRaw to export to dng than Affinity Photo for iPad (without Nik collection !?) ?

1 Like

What is even more interesting is that Final Cut Pro for iPad can now work of files on an external drive. Maybe soon RAW developers will be able to do so too?

1 Like

At least the Pro versions of iPad should be powerful enough to work with Photolab. I would even pay a small offset (~25€) if it would be possible to get a iPad Pro version.

What everybody who asks for this keeps forgetting is the the iPad Pro might be made by Apple but there the similarity ends. It runs on iPadOS, not macOS. You cannot reuse any of the UI - it all has to be designed from scratch, using a totally different widget set. The keyboard interface has to be implemented, either using the popup keyboard or an external one. There is no mouse or menus - it is a touch UX, which has to cope with pressure sensitivity and possibly providing haptic feedback.

I have developed for Win, macOS, iPadOS and iOS - they each have their differences and implementing for yet another platform can mean years of work and testing. I wrote a macOS app for keywording, tagging, rating, etc. It took me two years of solo effort, 14hrs/day, 7days/week. But, at least, it gave me something to take my mind off the lockdowns.

2 Likes

Although I do understand your point, others are doing/developing for it. Yes it’ll cost time and resources. Yes it’s a paradigm shift. But it is also an opportunity. Most businesses die in the end when they prefer the status quo over going for opportunities.

Touch interfaces is also not just a iPad thing. So many Windows laptops are including touch capabilities theses days (whether one thinks it’s a good or bad thing is another topic). Personally I’d start at least an exploration of how DXO could function in a touch enabled environment. And I hope they do it better than Capture One :wink: I actually very much like using Lightroom on my iPad Pro 11 with M1. Super fast and smooth to work on photos. Only the file workflow is not great (yet).

Oh no, I do not forget that.
But I will leave the technical aspect to DxO. I am a user ready to buy an iPadOS App if it is up to the task.
If we do not make DxO aware they might never invest and might end up like dinosaurs :comet: :t_rex:
There are more and more possibilities today and I think DxO is already behind.
Many users like to use touch and pens to work, not just mouse and keyboards.
If there is no iPadOS App coming soon, they might think about using the iPad as a sidecar to the Mac to paint the masks with the pen, place U-points with fingers etc…
If they won’t do it others will do.

Please do not tell me you like PhotoLab’s UI on MacOS, it really needs a refresh :grimacing:

Can we test and buy it already ? :drooling_face:

I’ve tried doing some photo editing and video editing on my iPad. I have everything except the Adobe apps (I did have them at one point, but then Adobe changed the rules and required one to sign in and allow them access to your files, even on iPad, as well as subscriptions).

DxO PhotoLab would be better than other iPad apps. The user interface is and workflow is better on desktop and would mostly lend itself to touch.

Darkroom (bought pre-subscription days) is the best of a bad lot and it’s a simplistic twenty slider affair. Its simplicity is why Darkroom works on iPad. Darkroom does on iPad what Photolab could usefully do. If DxO must make an iPad version, then the best idea would be to crib from Darkroom as much as possible, add a few more features and make it one time purchase and not subscription.

Unfortunately even an iPad Pro 12.9 inch is not enough screen real estate to make professional tools useful on iPad. So much better to work on a full size double monitor setup with keyboard and mouse (and yes, I have the Magic Keyboard too, which is great for typing and simple text editing).

An iPad add-on to allow using the iPad as a retouching pad with the Apple pen would be a lot more useful.

Yet another nudge for DXO on the iPad / tablet. As a semi pro I use the tools I have on the platforms I have and that consists of:
MacBook - Capture One, Affinity, DXO (PhotoLab, FilmPack, ViewPoint, Nik)
iPadPro - Capture One, Affinity

There’s a few minor apps I have that also straddle both platforms. DXO is definitely the odd one out by not embracing the tablet platform.

For those who have commented in the past that the iPad platform is not powerful enough, Adobe, Capture One and Affinity would beg to differ.

Workflow wise, I can be in the field with camera and iPad - tether direct into Capture One, work on the image, export to desktop, continue where I left off etc.
Affinity - open file from file system or export as raw or tif from C1 into Affinity, work on the image on iPad, save to files and pick up on desktop

Affinity is a 90 or so employee company who have managed to make their product almost feature compatible across Mac, Windows and iPad.

Right now DXO is being left behind. As much as I like it on my Mac, the lack of DXO in any form on my iPad means it gets less use than it should do.

There are many feature rich apps coming through now from DAM tools, raw converters to layer based pixel editing. Ignoring the tablet platform is flying in the face of how people use their tech and how the competitors see the iPad

Time for DXO to bring forward their views on this or more users will start to drift away

Just my thoughts
Andy

1 Like

Interesting field report. How much of your shooting are you really doing in this cumbersome setup (juggling camera and iPad)?

I’d love to hear from others who are really using their iPad as a principal development tool with other software like Capture One and Adobe on their DSLR photos (as opposed to mobile snaps: as we all know PhotoLab supports neither iOS nor Android DNG – I’d far rather see this issue addressed before an iPad version).

My impression after doing a fair amount of messing about with RAW Power, Darkroom, Photos, Polarr is that it’s just a pain in the neck, except when one has to quickly fix black levels and white balance on an iPhone photo to send out immediately.

All of these iPad creation apps are more a novelty item than tools people are seriously using. There are a few weirdos out there who have decided to migrate from macOS to iPadOS on a permanent basis. Multi-tasking, multi-clipboard, multiple display, sharing files are all a nightmare on iPadOS (I have experimented with working multi-screen with an M1 iPad Pro with keyboard, trackpad, the works). But there have always been peculiar schismatics. More power to them in their self-flagellation.

In the meantime, in business terms, how many people would really use a PhotoLab iPad tool?

What I’d like to see for the iPad is a great triage tool. There’s a good one out there but it’s too much trouble to use (getting the photos in and out, moving the XMP files): PhotoPicker Pro for Lightroom at $50 CAD. It’s too Lightroom centric, too awkward to load and just expensive enough to make it not a casual purchase.

A PhotoLab iPad app which allows rating and basic colour corrections (check Darkroom), along with ViewPoint type correction (drawing those lines, moving those perspective points are ideal for a touch device) could be useful. Attempting to shoehorn all of PhotoLab into an iPad app would take years and the results would be mediocre (see Mylio on iPad, so overloaded with features to be nearly useless, much better on desktop with same feature set). Touch device with single small screen is a different paradigm.

But no iPad development is worth it until DxO add support for iPhone and Android DNG in some form or another (even if not all features can be supported in the traditional way with ProRaw and its Android equivalent).

Well, I guess that you and I have different requirements here. For what it’s worth

“Interesting field report. How much of your shooting are you really doing in this cumbersome setup (juggling camera and iPad)?”

takes a readily available tripod bracket and a rathe ubiquitous USB-C cable - that’s it, not tricky and C1 users will do this

The fact that you’ve played with a few apps is neither here nor there, I know what I can do with the iPadPro, the apps I mentioned and the desktop versions of those apps

“A PhotoLab iPad app which allows rating and basic colour corrections (check Darkroom), along with ViewPoint type correction (drawing those lines, moving those perspective points are ideal for a touch device) could be useful. Attempting to shoehorn all of PhotoLab into an iPad app would take years and the results would be mediocre (see Mylio on iPad, so overloaded with features to be nearly useless, much better on desktop with same feature set). Touch device with single small screen is a different paradigm.”

Your wants, not mine, and if DXO can’t do what other software companies can do they will eventually loose out to those that are more capable

We both probably want the same thing which is DXO being more responsive. You can choose to ignore the iPad / tablet platform, that’s entirely your prerogative, but for those of us who of use these platforms don’t be so dismissive

Why don’t you tell us about it, Andy? That would be a lot more persuasive than simply demanding an iPad version. And much more useful to the PhotoLab developers.

I explained in reasonable detail what kind of PhotoLab iPad version would be useful to me.

A PhotoLab iPad app which allows rating and basic colour corrections (check Darkroom), along with ViewPoint type correction (drawing those lines, moving those perspective points are ideal for a touch device) could be useful. Attempting to shoehorn all of PhotoLab into an iPad app would take years and the results would be mediocre (see Mylio on iPad, so overloaded with features to be nearly useless, much better on desktop with same feature set). Touch device with single small screen is a different paradigm.

What iPad photo apps work for you and why? What kind of interface do you want to see? What tasks do you want to accomplish?

Alex, I’m not going to get into an argument on this, you’ve expressed your opinion, I’ve expressed mine.

It’s down to DXO to consider their software roadmap and decide what they want to do with it.

Personally I think there’s room for both tablet and desktop, it’s down to DXO to decide their priorities.

There’s no argument here.

It looks like you want tethering (doesn’t exist at all in PhotoLab as far as I know, let alone in the iPad version).

What do you want from this unicorn iPad version of PhotoLab (which without support for iOS and Android DNG would be insane but I digress)?

Everything! is not a viable answer.

Nope, don’t want tethering, I have that already with C1.

I’d be happy with Photolab as an iPad option.

I’d also settle for pure raw on the iPad as that is a much simpler interface and Mx based Apple silicon is consistent across iPad and Mac platforms. That would be a relatively easy port and would bring the power of DXO to the iPad. And that is readily doable given that iPad apps such as LumaFusion works on both platforms.

If I’m honest, it’s raw conversion that I’m after, and given that I have C1 as well as DXO, there are times when I prefer DXO over C1 for raw conversion, and again, tbh I prefer both of those to Adobe

Android is another matter, but let’s face it, is UNIX based as well, but would be trickier

1 Like

A PureRAW port to iPad is certainly achievable as the hardware is powerful enough and the interface is relatively simple. There’s no real requirement for huge previews.

Now all we need is PureRAW on iPad Pro for you and some kind of triage/light editor for iPad Pro for me.

Everyone needs iOS and/or Android DNG support both on desktop and on the mythical iPadOS PhotoLab.

If DxO have interest in collecting ideas and wishes for the future they could ask their user base.
To be successful it is what I would do, knowing that we will never please everybody.

If DxO were interested in the convenience and happiness of their users, they would:

1. stop requiring the latest or latest -1 version of the OS (I will not be upgrading PhotoLab again, when v8 comes out without Monterey support). I’m happily on four year OS upgrade cycles and PhotoLab has already cost me more time and inconvenience than any other piece of software.
  2. Add support for iOS and Android DNG so their users don’t always have to dabble in two or three extra RAW development tools. For those interested in iOS, either Darkroom (subscription only I believe now, so don’t recommend it) or RAW Power are the best of an awkward lot.

For anyone who suggests PhotoLab couldn’t do DNG, take a look at the examples on this thread which compare other RAW tools with PhotoLab on iPhone 11 files (I had to modify EXIF to make PhotoLab open them). The lack of support for mobile photography is just a huge thumb in the eye of users.

More people ask for mobile DNG support every year than any other feature.

1 Like