Photolab for iPad (pro)

I would insta buy an iPad version. I want the deep prime noise reduction on my iPad.

Maybe a PureRaw for iPad Pro could be feasible before a full or light PL App can be made …

1 Like

So how does it looks like today for Apps on the iPad pro ?
Soon the new models with latest M chips will be announced.
Luminar also brought a new App for iPad.
Any new possibilities ?

Time to bring this subject up again.
iPad Pro with M4 chip are here in a few days… phenomenal power.
And the new Apple Pencil Pro brings more possibilities too.

What is missing is a real good raw converter / editor App for iPadOS.

Now the question is… does someone still use DxO’s software with a mobile + touch & pen workflow on the iPad ?
Or do we have to switch to something else ?
What would it be ?
DxO PureRaw to export to dng than Affinity Photo for iPad (without Nik collection !?) ?

What is even more interesting is that Final Cut Pro for iPad can now work of files on an external drive. Maybe soon RAW developers will be able to do so too?

1 Like

At least the Pro versions of iPad should be powerful enough to work with Photolab. I would even pay a small offset (~25€) if it would be possible to get a iPad Pro version.

What everybody who asks for this keeps forgetting is the the iPad Pro might be made by Apple but there the similarity ends. It runs on iPadOS, not macOS. You cannot reuse any of the UI - it all has to be designed from scratch, using a totally different widget set. The keyboard interface has to be implemented, either using the popup keyboard or an external one. There is no mouse or menus - it is a touch UX, which has to cope with pressure sensitivity and possibly providing haptic feedback.

I have developed for Win, macOS, iPadOS and iOS - they each have their differences and implementing for yet another platform can mean years of work and testing. I wrote a macOS app for keywording, tagging, rating, etc. It took me two years of solo effort, 14hrs/day, 7days/week. But, at least, it gave me something to take my mind off the lockdowns.

2 Likes

Although I do understand your point, others are doing/developing for it. Yes it’ll cost time and resources. Yes it’s a paradigm shift. But it is also an opportunity. Most businesses die in the end when they prefer the status quo over going for opportunities.

Touch interfaces is also not just a iPad thing. So many Windows laptops are including touch capabilities theses days (whether one thinks it’s a good or bad thing is another topic). Personally I’d start at least an exploration of how DXO could function in a touch enabled environment. And I hope they do it better than Capture One :wink: I actually very much like using Lightroom on my iPad Pro 11 with M1. Super fast and smooth to work on photos. Only the file workflow is not great (yet).

Oh no, I do not forget that.
But I will leave the technical aspect to DxO. I am a user ready to buy an iPadOS App if it is up to the task.
If we do not make DxO aware they might never invest and might end up like dinosaurs :comet: :t_rex:
There are more and more possibilities today and I think DxO is already behind.
Many users like to use touch and pens to work, not just mouse and keyboards.
If there is no iPadOS App coming soon, they might think about using the iPad as a sidecar to the Mac to paint the masks with the pen, place U-points with fingers etc…
If they won’t do it others will do.

Please do not tell me you like PhotoLab’s UI on MacOS, it really needs a refresh :grimacing:

Can we test and buy it already ? :drooling_face: