Part 2 - Off-Topic - advice, experiences, and examples for images being processed in DxO Photolab

To be clear it was related to @mwsilvers .
My stoy about my dad was an example that often isn’t a fault of the person but more a struggle of the brain to rap around new situations and adapting problems. Which put some tention to the patientstring of the explainer.
That’s how I see this. I am used to people who are unable to understand in my eye’s straightforward things of a “simple” task of operating a multifunctional. So instead of starting to get upset/angry i just think next time i repeat with a warning of an facturation and after that they get one.
Paying money seems to trigger the memory. :yum:

Well, what I will write is “D780 Live View”.
Yes, I agree it is very similar to Live View on most DSLR’s.
Eventually you may understand the difference, but I think “D780 Live View” should be an acceptable compromise. Again, thank you.

(If you ever get a chance to do so, check out a D780 yourself.)

(…and all of this, for me, is just a test. There is a good chance that I’ll end up leaving my D780 in DSLR mode most of the time, and use it that way. I haven’t yet felt the desire to change to a ML camera, perhaps for reasons Joanna has already explained. For general use, I see no advantage is holding the camera a foot away from me, so I can view the rear screen, and I haven’t yet held a ML camera that looked as good to me while taking photos as a good DSLR. I might get a chance to check out a Z9 fairly soon.)

Indeed. I posted the diagram from the manual before the hour or so search for the different screens that I knew from my D850.

Why? There is no need to do that . Just press the “info” button, directly from the Live View screen.

As you can see from the manual diagrams, there is no evidence of anything to do with ML functionality on these LiveView screens.

Yes, you do. Almost identical and definitely nothing to do with ML.

Wrong!!!

Why bother when it is not true.

Why would I bother when it is no different to my D850?

Mike,

Live View is Live View, You don’t need to differentiate. The D780 just has a more capable version of Live View, nothing else. The only thing that is important is the quality of the resulting images. No one will care if the D780 has more advanced Live View focusing capabilities. In fact, no one will care if you captured the image using Live View or through the OVF. If the results are good you may get some praise, if they are bad you may get some criticism. But the images stand on their own.

You are way too focused on discussing the capabilities of your camera. In any case, this forum is dedicated to the software products developed by DxO, not the Nikon D780. This thread, which you created, is dedicated to processing images in PhotoLab. You appear to have completely lost site of that and have veered off onto a tangent which apparently is becoming quite annoying to a number of people.

Mark

2 Likes

Mark, every time I have thought I was “done with this topic”, I get asked questions that I feel I ought to respond to. (When I don’t respond, I get yelled at, so, now I I try to respond to every reasonable question.) If people here stop asking, I’m done with this topic.

I did ask Nikon about this, and the tech support person said I was correct.

Because of your post, I just did a Google search:
is Live view on the D780 the same as live view on the D850?
and got this:

Where the Nikon D780 shines over the D850, is when using Live View mode. Nikon was able to integrate a lot of the technology from the mirrorless Z6 camera into the D780, which brings a whole new level of live view shooting, thanks to its hybrid autofocus system."

We get that and have all understood that for quite a while. You seem fixated on this. There is absolutely no need to rehash it over and over again. The technology they are referring to from the Z6, as I pointed out earlier, is the 273 phase detection focus points on its sensor compared to the D850’s contrast-detection autofocus. It is a better focusing system for Live view and videos, but is otherwise is fairly identical to other implementations of Live View.

Are you shooting video? Are you shooting stills using Live View only on a tripod? If you are shooting in Live View while hand holding your camera you will get better and more consistent results using the OVF.

Mark

1 Like

This topic has become really great cinema. Since I can read only the replies and not mikemeyer’s post (ahem, I’ve had it set that way for a long time, sorry), it’s like watching TV without sound. A completely new perspective or experience.
But I also admire the perseverance of those who are still replying. Otherwise, although I’ve only really read half of it, I can only fully agree.

1 Like

No video right now, even though I can now capture 4K video. Eventually, I’ll do that again. I’m mostly shooting hand-held, although I got a monopod that I want to try out soon. I’ve also got a light weight Manfrotto tripod, recommended by @Joanna.

Confused - maybe what you wrote was a typo? …when the D780 is in Live View, the OVF is not active.

The menu system changes based on whether I am using the camera in DSLR or D780 Live View. Some of the selections or settings change, based on which mode I am using. I don’t think this ever happened on my previous Nikons when I switched back and forth between OVF and Live View, and I wasn’t aware of this on the D780 until the fellow at Nikon Tech Support explained it. To change settings as he asked, I first had to change the mode before the camera would bring up the appropriate menu listings. The technician had me close the Menu, go to the other shooting mode, and then bring up the Menu again.

For as long as I’ve had the camera, I’ve only been using DSLR mode, and never Live View. I’ve tried hand holding, and tripod. This is the first time I’ve been trying to set the camera up for Live View, and while it works perfectly from my balcony (in either mode), I haven’t yet had a chance to try it with birds.

I love your photo, and even more so because you captured two birds together. Background is awesome! The one in front with the red… not sure what to call it - is the male?

Perfect photo!!! I will be very happy if I can create images this nice.

I’m curious - how long a lens did you need?

Nothing magic there. The menu options on my Canon 90D also change if I switch from using the viewfinder to using Live View.

1 Like

They have both got red wattles.

And on my D850. And, I would guess on most cameras

Mike yes you are confused, very confused,. I hope that you are not beyond redemption and I will give it one more shot. First, there was no typo. I never said anything about using the OVF while you were in Live View. Of course you can’t use the OVF in Live View. I know that, You know that. Why would I have to explicitly say it?

However, I will try to make things simple for you. Hopefully you will be able to understand the following::

1. Using a large and heavy camera/lens combination handheld in Live View, especially for a telephoto shot is a BAD IDEA, even with the D780. Repeat, BAD IDEA!!!

2. It is impossible for you to handhold the camera rigidly enough in Live View to eliminate camera shake .

3. Camera Shake BAD!!!

4. Rigidity GOOD!!!

5. The only thing about Live View on a D780 that makes it superior to some other DSLRs is the 273 phase detection focus points which can result in improved focus in some situations . The only thing!

6. Even on a mirrorless body with in-body image stabilization (IBIS), for best results in most situations the EVF, not Live View, should be used. Live View is best used in situations in which using the EVF is not practical or when mounted on a tripod.

7. The D780’s Live View has no in-body image stabilization (IBIS) to prevent camera shake when being hand held.

8. The Nikon Z6 has 3 stops of image stabilization (IBIS) and the Z6II has 5 stops of IBIS to lessen the effects of camera shake . Don’t be fooled into thinking that using Live View on a D780 handheld with no IBIS will give you equally good results as Live View on a Z6 or Z6II handheld with IBIS.

9. Using a camera like the D780 with no in-body image stabilization (IBIS) in Live View, with a heavy lens/ body combination, especially for a telephoto shot, should ALWAYS, repeat ALWAYS, be mounted on a tripod to get the best results.

10. If you like the idea of mirrorless then get a mirrorless body like the Z6II, but for God sakes stop referring to the Live View of the D780 as ML mode. Live view in all DSLRs that feature it, like the D850, is mirrorless by its very nature. There is no ML mode, Live View on a D780 just has the ability to potentially focus better to give you sharper images if you understand how and when to get the best from it.

11. In most situations, especially handheld, you will get far better results using your D780’s OVF rather than Live View. Live View on the D780 should only be used handheld in those situations when use of both the OVF and/or a tripod is not practical. If you insist on handholding the D780 in Live View you must be prepared to accept limitations in IQ.

If you are still confused about using Live View and how Live View on the D780 differs from other DSLRs and mirrorless bodies I will have to give up.

Mark

1 Like

Gosh, thank you for the opportunity to redeem myself, but in the interest of not bothering others, I’d rather not discuss this - at least until I get a chance to complete my test. If you are right, I will end up with blurry photos. If I am correct, I won’t. Confused? Nope. I want to try it, and if I’m wasting my time, so be it. I no longer want to waste “our” time, as in this discussion.

Tripod? None of my bird shots were using a tripod or monopod; all were hand held. The camera doesn’t have any “IBIS” or “stabilization” but my 70-300 “P” lens does.

Thanks, but I was only asking about the bird in front of the image, towards the right - is it the male?

The only difference between male and female is their size. Both sexes have red gular sacks (not wattles)

http://www.slim-bridge.co.uk/greycrowned%20crane.html

Mike, I’m really not especially into birds. Especially not birds in flight. This shot is like Joanna said earlier about another picture of her friend- mostly just pure luck.

It was taken in Serengeti around the Seronera River area. It has happened once with a lioness too, almost posing there in the sun on a small kopjes rock. It was almost like it had been in a studio, so rediculous it felt. I remember we just turned around a corner, and there she was. I was totally unprepared and the scary thing is that you never know how long that moment will last.

It is one of my best pictures and I can honestly say there was no time for my perfectionist me - I just focused and shot. Not so much skill really, as I would have loved it to be, just to flatter myself a bit, but it was really very much luck too.

Can you please post the picture?

I keep reminding myself to be prepared whenever I have a camera around my neck, but usually I have the “wrong” lens. My 24-120 helps with that. Joanna’s 300 zoom is perhaps a better choice.

Thanks Joanna, I didn´t know that. The difference was too small I guess for me to notice that. Here where I live there is a lot of sea birds, the females are often brownish and a lot colorless than the males. In the case of the crested cranes, it hardly could have been an advantage to look like these female cranes.

Did you forget to post that photo?