Part 2 - Off-Topic - advice, experiences, and examples for images being processed in DxO Photolab

I’ll try.

As you can see, the sensor in the camera would need to move more to compensate my movement of the handheld lens. Usually we have a firm grip at the camera and the other hand carries the weight of a long lens. Switch off any vibration compensation (OS or IBIS or both) and you’ll see how unsteady the image in the finder gets.

You can imagine a balance. The OS element in the lens is close to the crossing point of the light beams. This little lens element only needs a fraction of the sensor distance to compensate the movement. It’s bit less precise than the sensor movement, so a little hint of movement is visible when using only OS. But if the camera is able to calculate sensor and OS movements, speed of OS and precision of IBIS come together and can compensate large vibrations still precisely and fast.

And I admit, I’m not familiar enough with optical vocabulary in English. But I’m sure, if you google “difference of OS and IBIS” you get more and better explanations.

I speak about a Nikon, VR. That’s an angular correction. Independant of the focal length.
https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/na/NSG_article?articleNo=000050844&configured=1&lang=en_SG

And for the combination of VR and IBIS,Nikon, that’s not advisable. Even impossible with the Z camera’s. When I place a VR lens on my Z6II, then IBIS is switched off, even if VR is switched off. If I place a non VR on the camera, then the IBIS is switched on.

George

Suggestion - ask them to provide a button to display (or not) topics?

For example, I have no need to read posts about Windows as I use a Mac. I’d also love to be able to turn off my viewing of threads in which I have no interest.

I wish I could simply turn off posts from users that I currently need to just ignore. Better than skimming to the end, and ignoring the post. We all should have that ability.

Or, best of all, add a “FORGET” option to this display at the end of threads:

Hmm, maybe turning off “Watching” would accomplish this.

The only thing you’re interested in is Mike Meyers.

George

i think you misunderstood.
if a new person is seaking information and sees a header “livingroom/chatroom” he wil ignore this because he’s seaking information about something and maybe his seaking command will pop up chatroom post but that would be the last post to read because well every one knows those threads are endless and often scattered all over the place. aka difficult to distract usefull information (factual thrue and to the point)

So a special chapter/header/ folder for threads which are community chatter for the sake of argument are put there to keep others more clear and if a factual topic derails in to chatter wel : cut and move the chatter into a chatter topic to keep the original topic clean.

Plain simple document library managment.

(i say nothing about if this or some post should be removed/ locked i am very good in ignoring post and threads which i am not want to engage in. so that’s for the moderaters.)
(( which apperantly are very invisible/in active/widemind thinking because i didn’t see any moderation lately))

i only know about Panasonics Dual IS ii for M43.
and this is a very good you tube example to show it’s working:

no techy talk but very visual.

Point is Optical Lens Stabilisation (OIS) do have also always active lens centralisation of the stabilisation lens. ( it hangs lose in the axiale movement coils which i suppose are electrical powered by the camera to keep it centred/aligned even when you put it on a tripod.)
So my lenses also “ratle” a bit when you shake them (don’t advisable to shake hard)
from there support site:

When the camera is off I can hear a rattle inside the camera, is this normal?

Yes. This is not a fault with the lens.

This is caused by the OIS (Optical Image Stabiliser) section of the lens moving. When the camera is turned on this part of the lens is held in a magnetic field but when the camera is off it is free to move.

when i manual switch off optical (power) OIS on a lens i only turn off the algorithm to compensate NOT the magnetic field.

this is the same with IBIS
and when using video mode:

Peter

In a way, I agree. I’m interested in things that affect me, meaning the camera or tools that I use, and the editing software, PhotoLab, and how to get the most out of my photos. I’m also interested in cameras, and lenses, and other gear, and lately, how to be more “artistic”. (…but I think I mostly flunked.)

I’m also interested in reading anything from people I respect. I pay a lot of attention to photos that they post, and to me, that is the real test of whether or not I should listen to them. If they can’t create good photos, why bother?

…and at the same time, I’m spending a lot of time in the bird photography forums, learning as much as I can - being a newcomer, doing this has ben very helpful. I read and ask, I don’t post. I’m open to new ideas, but mostly if I can make use of them. If that’s what you meant, I agree.

…and I also realize I post too much, and write too much, and I should simply ignore stuff that doesn’t relate to me. Forums, and discussions, are addicting. Everyone has their own opinion, and desires, and ability.

DxO can’t be too upset at me - last year they made me an offer (which I declined). I highly doubt that the gazillion responses to these threads is due to me. The thread title was supposed to explain things. This thread isn’t so popular because of “me”, but much more so to the people who post here.

(And if I’m slow to learn new things, others should wait until when/if they get past 80 years old, and they’ll find out for themselves. Learning new stuff used to be much easier for me. I can’t complain, as I’m still “here”, while many of my old friends have passed away. But I sure do struggle with new things to learn… No excuse, just an explanation. Maybe that’s part of why I feel so comfortable with my D3, which I’ve had for going on 20 years.)

With all respect but do count once how much you use the word “I”. Your person is not the subject here.
And yes, your thread fills a need to discuss about other photo related subjects.

George

Need to remove that key from my keyboard.

Thanks, will correct this from now on.

E.O.F.

plus “me” and “my”… :roll_eyes:

I thought so, too, until I opened the 10-100 series 1 (with VR). The way the actuators are arranged, they move the VR element vertically and horizontally, but the sensors detect the angles and the CPU calculates the necessary movements.

I just tried my old Z 7 (I), you’re right: as soon as a VR lens is coupled, the lens’ switch for VR is responsible for vibration compensation/reduction (actually “reduction” is a better term, as it’s no completely gone, just reduced).

And on LUMIX, both systems (lens and body) can be activated, in that setting the sensor is moved to compensate axial movements (like pressing the shutter button) and the lens compensates yaw and tilt. It was interesting how the Lumix results were less blurred at long shutter speeds than the Z 7 results - but 2× TC + 500 mm at 1/15 handheld is impractical already, so the Lumix advantage is just theoretical. No bird will keep still for so long.

I have to come back to this. Digital cameras have increased the volume of pictures taken considerably, but this is due to a “I’ll take that photo, not sure why - and I can do something with it in post…” kind of reasoning. Again, reasoning is the wrong word. Wildly collecting snaps, just because we can, has nothing to do with reason.

From when I bought a Mamiya 645 near the end of being a student until more important things came up with work and and nights were too precious to spend in a darkroom 10 years later, I had filled about 200 rolls of film at 15 images each and about 1% of it all were rotated in frames hanging from walls.

And now? How much time do you need to take 3000 images? 10 days? And what percentage will be in a frame? If you answer these question honestly, a sneaky suspicion will ask if all that stuff and sitting at the computer is just a giant waste of time? Again, the honest answer will be YES! - unless your hobby has shifted from creating pictures to creating posts.

Anyways, switch your camera to single shot mode and think that each time you press the shutter, it will cost you or the environment a dollar or (a lot) more. This should provide a reason for less snapping.

One name for that is “spray and pray”.

Shooting in single-frame mode seems to work better, and it is always possible to take another if something goes wrong. The image shows up for “image review”, so it’s obvious how good it is - or not. Last weekend’s memory card ended up with around 600 images, half of which went right to the trash. Leaving out second or third tries, that ended up at around 100 remaining images, 20 or so made it to PhotoLab. Of those, there are perhaps eight good images.

None will be printed or framed, and all 20 will be uploaded to m.smugmug.com… how many “keepers” do you get?

How does one learn stuff like bird photography?
One good answer. is “practice”.
After viewing them, and hopefully learning from them, the trash can be deleted.

my father is 93 years old and he’s struggling to understand new features.
example:
company A delivers internet and Internet TV and a box to navigate on the channels with a remote.
he’s states too expensive so he changed to company B.
which looks the same more or less but surprice surprice works different and is less stable and has different channels some which he watched where not listed in his chosen abo.

ive bin already three time in his place to explain why things where not working as he expected… ( and i have bin called/signalled/whatsapped much more to respond for questions as " it stopped working help!" i ask what did you do? answer “i clicked and clicked and now it’s not even restarting when i turn off and on the TV.”
yep it’s not the TV you should restarting you must restart router and or the ITV box. your TV is just a screen to display in this case so your ITV box is crashed due your stumbling around and have no patient waiting if something happens after one click… so it overloaded in commands. => reboot by power down and up the hard way (not the power button.)

“it doesn’t work”
did you pull out the power connector?
eh no i push the power button on the front…
nope that’s a soft power button which puts it to sleep/hibernation… :confounded:
pull out that black thin cable wait for all the leds go out and push it back in…

12 min later message: thanks it working again but i don’t have all the channels anymore…
(after one month the premium goes back to chosen middle of the road line up dad!)
day later: list of premium and his former provider choice means the old provider was equaly expensive… please ask me before you change dad , thanks.

and i had to repair his vacuumcleaner because it stopped , cable connection issues of the power cord… wel expected because its 20!!! years old … but well he’s fond of the thing so repairng the cable by cutting the problem from the 6meter cord so now it’s 5.30m :crazy_face:

and i don’t tell you about all the other things i need to help with each week…
i visit every friday so i can stack his problems and delay it to friday iam his personal facility guy.
well he still lives on his own so some help is needed.

So yes i know what age does to a brain :crazy_face:

See also post 712 from @Stenis. Maybe the Lumix works a bit different.

George

One quick question - has he been tested for dementia or Alzheimers?
From looking this up on the Internet, apparently there is no cure, only treatments.
Useful reading:
Useful reading to understand a relative’s issues
My brother’s doctors eventually diagnosed it as “dementia”. Only 76 years old. No cure.
Very sorry for you. I’m sure that hurts. A lot.
Have you tried an OTA antenna? Free TV.

Nope, he’s just old and not very good at rtfm.
Impulsive. Always was.

Also bad eyesight so glasses can’t fix al.
Oh no it doesn 't hurt, it’s only time consumming but hell i am a lot worse if i live that long :rofl:

Yes I do. I had the first model Sony made the A55 but I traded with the store for an A580 instead since the A55 backfocused and Sony’s service partner here never managed to get that cameras AF to work properly. In fact, these cameras had exactly the same issues as DSLR-cameras with the focusing since they also used a dedicated fokus sensor instead of the main sensor.

A77 II was not bad but time have passed and it is about 10 years ago :slight_smile:

Personal post (which I should have sent you as a message… ) I was about to send you a message, but I see you’re already on top of everything. I will, if you want me to, but otherwise I’ll just read what you write here. Based on my own personal experience, with a younger brother, for me, it hurts. Big Time. But I don’t want to talk about my own situation. The book I recommended was very useful for me in explaining how to communicate with a person with these issues. Next week, I’ll be visiting my brother.

Your story hurts, because while you understand, your dad, in his 90’s, I can’t any more with what’s left of my brother. Demential steals so much from people.

All I will add is I am sorry you are going through this. But if your dad is still living in his own home, and functioning well, while in his 90’s, that’s something to be thankful for!!!

…ok, now putting my Forum hat on again…

1 Like