Part 2 - Off-Topic - advice, experiences, and examples for images being processed in DxO Photolab

Hi @mikemyers. Just a couple of notes on your big lens…

1. It is not, as you wrote, 50-500mm, but 150-500mm. Or, at least I can’t find any reference to the designation that you mentioned.

2. You were worried about a couple of extra ounces for the 28-300mm and yet …

Nikon 70-300 1lb 8oz
    Nikon 28-300 1lb 12oz
    Sigma 150-500 4lb 3oz
  3. It has a variable maximum aperture from f/5 of f/6.3, whereas the excellent Nikon 200-500mm is a constant f/5.6, giving you a whole extra stop at 500mm.

4. I don’t see the tripod collar on your photo of the Sigma. You certainly don’t want to be balancing the combined weight of nearly 6lb on the camera body. That kind of leverage might do something nasty to the junction between the lens and the body.

Whatever lens you finally choose, at this kind of focal length, you’re really going to need to use it on a tripod (but don’t forget to disable the VR). I have the Nikon 80-400mm, which only weighs about 3lbs. This is a stunning lens, which I find relatively easy to handhold but, if you are after that extra length, with the extra weight that brings, it could be hard to keep steady handheld, even with VR.

You mention a strap, which would have to be fitted to the tripod collar on the lens, just to give you some kind of balance but, of course, you would have to remove the strap every time you wanted to put the lens on a tripod. Personally, I would not use this as a walkaround lens unless you can comfortably carry the combined weight of camera body, lens and tripod.

@mikemyers
Why confusesed? I meant mirrorless. It seems to be a fact Nikon Z stabilisation with adapter works better than Sony E with adapter.

The problem as I wrote is that Sigma OS or any other stabilization in fact is not good to use at the same time as Sony SSS-stabilisation even if NOTING is topping you to do. That is a main draw back using old A–monut lenses. If you forget to turn of either of them and just use one of them at the time you will end up with useless totally unsharp images since they will counteract and interfere with each other. Nikon Z seems not having that problem.

The E-mont on the other hand works fine having both systems on and that is one of the mayor reason why I and most serious Sony photographers have ditched A-mount a long time ago. The Bigma 150-500mm was the last because I tended to use it just for safaris. The Bigma had so serious limitation in low light compared to my new Tamron 150-500mm for E that the later seems to have open a whole new world.

Sharper in both ends than the Bigma, much better focus locking in low light, much better stabilization - much easier to get keepers handheld. Much shorter and easier to pack och it can even offer some macro features. Better bokeh than Bigma but that doesn’t say all that much since the bokeh of the Bigma can be pretty bad.

Maybe Mike is confused when you write about mirrorless and Sony when he has neither and such discussion is somewhat irrelevant?

Another change of subject, to share an image that Helen took 20 years ago on a Nikon D100, processed in PhotoLab and scaled and final print sharpening in Topaz Photo AI

Yes, this could have been something, but I usually had to try in the evening or during weekends. Working sets certain limits, but produces an income. Snapping birds just produces expenses.

Why did I take photos of these birds? Many (>10) years ago, I had the first nest in the exhaust tube of the cooking range’s steam extractor, which luckily had a flap valve that prevented the birds from getting trapped deep down over the pans on the stove. The nest was used twice in the same year, then I removed it. Next year: new nest, chicks etc.

I tried to get pictures of the birds just because they were there and close, which was both a blessing and a pain. How can you snap the nest and chicks without scaring away the parents for good? So I kept my distance and tried with the gear I had. And while it was fun to explore the possibilities of different positions, lens-body combinations etc., I found that I was not obsessed enough to become a “bird photographer”. I consider all those images as being part of a test and of learning, as are, say, 95% of the pictures I took in my life so far … and I still have a few hundreds of negatives waiting to be scanned and converted … and paintings to be hung in the apartment.
:person_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ll respond to the previous responses later today. Just got up, and I’ve got an appointment in a little over an hour.

I went through all my bird photos from a week or so ago, and found one that I hadn’t yet figured out how to process it. Based on feedback here, this is what I came up with. It’s both a photo of a bird, and more so just a photo - adjusting lots of things until I was happy, then sleeping on it, and making yet one more change this morning. I think I need to put more emphasis on the image, rather than all on the bird. Suggestions for improvements are welcome, but I like what I ended up with (as of now).

780_4456 | 2024-04-04.nef (27.7 MB)
780_4456 | 2024-04-04.nef.dop (14.0 KB)

The Nikon D780 is both a “normal” Nikon, and also a Mirrorless.
I haven’t yet learned how to use it as a mirrorless, but I’ve read a lot about it.

More comments later - time to leave for my doctor’s appt.

All reflex cameras that have live view can also be used mirrorless. The difference with the D780 is that it uses some of the sensor technology that is found on one of Nikon’s Z series. But it is no more a true mirrorless camera than any other reflex.

If I switch my D850 to live view, it becomes just as “mirrorless” as your D780.

When I’m right there are differences. Mainly with autofocus and light metering. They both go through the half transparent mirror.
I just tried it on the D750. When viewing in LV, mirror is up, and then shoot, the mirror goes down, metering is done and then goes up to take the picture.
I could be wrong but I don’t think so.

George

I believe it is this beast:

I think you might be wrong. Here is Ken Rockwell’s review and he certainly doesn’t think it’s a mirrorless :wink:

I’m sorry but the post that Mike made shows this…

… with the next focal length on the zoom scale as 200mm and an aperture range of f/5-f/6.3, whereas the “bigma” shows this…

… with the next focal length on the zoom scale as 70mm and an aperture range of f/4.5-f/6.3.

For some reason, the “1” on the lens that Mike photographed looks like it has been scratched out, possibly to fool someone into thinking it is the newer version?

On my Nikons, D700 and D750, when shooting in LV the mirror goes up and down. Is that not the situation for the D850 and D780?

George

Well, the people at Sigma Tech Support agree with you:

• Good morning,

• Thank you for contacting Sigma Corporation of America.

• This serial number comes back as a 150-500mm not the 50-500mm lens. This specific product was sold to a dealer in 2008 and has been discontinued for many years. Also, parts and service are no longer available for this model.

Well, this close-up photo speaks for itself!!!
THANK YOU!!!
I just spoke to the owner of the photo shop, and he wants me to bring it back.
Even if he lowers the price, I think I should return it. :frowning:

Dang!!! And thank you again!!!

1 Like

On every SLR I have had, moving to LV lifts the mirror, which stays lifted until I leave LV. The D780 is just the same. Whilst in LV, all metering and focusing is done directly via the sensor.

Absolutely. This an old lens. And, while you’re at it, see if the Nikon 200-500 tickles your fancy :wink:

1 Like

D780 is both a DSLR and a Mirrorless camera, depending on whether you use the viewfinder, or the rear screen:

D780 - DSLR + Mirrorless in one body

I’d use a different crop and orientation.

The portrait crop shows the reflection of the tree stump. This looks less like a rotting alligator bench. I added some structure to the bird, lowered exposure of the stump and made everything else softer. Taking the picture from a few steps to the right would have eliminated the distraction caused by the grass in the upper RH corner. Adding a fish looking out of the water and at the bird would have made a nicer story. Alas, no fish!

Mirrorless means that there is no mirror, therefore, the D780 is not a mirrorless camera. But it uses similar technologies as true mirrorless cameras and some people then call it a mirrorless because of that.

Calling someone gutless is both an insult and not true. And what does that make of “D780 is a mirrorless camera”?
:wink:

When you press the exposure button, do you hear click-click, the mirror going up and down? All the camera’s I have/had did.

George

Here I found something. Seems that there’re more possibilities.
The article doesn’t mention the camera names.

George

I guess this depends on your definition.

Using the viewfinder is pretty much the same as using a Nikon D750.

Using the rear screen in “Live Mode” is like the Nikon Z6 cameras - as all the hardware and technology was installed in the D780.

The top viewfinder allows it to behave like a DSLR.
The rear screen allows it to behave like a Mirrorless.

Somehow, I get to think that nobody understands this. The D780 is like a combination of D750 AND Z6. There are more than enough articles posted, if anyone cares to read them. The D780 is nothing like a D750 with the mirror always active - when the Mirrorless mode is desired, simply switch on “Live View”.

Gosh, well, I like what you did to the bird, but I miss all the surrounding detail. I never thought to move a step or so to the right - my goof. Adding a fish??? Yikes, I would be kicked out of the place for sure, if anyone noticed. They are very strict.

I’m curious as to what other people here feel about the crop. Doesn’t cropping it the way you did make it feel ‘cramped’??