No image in Nik when exported from PL3

When exporting to Nik from PL3 I occasionally experience the Tiff being created in PL, Nik opening without any image displayed. I then have to force quit Nik and try again. I am using Catalina.

Hi, thanks for your feedback, but I can’t reproduce your issue. Could you give me more information?

While using PL3 Elite, I click on the Nik button, choose a Nik module a Tiff is created in PL, Nik Silver Efex opens up without an image being displayed. At this point it is locked up and I need to force quit Nik. Not sure what other info you might need, I am using Catalina. I have updated the latest Nik update, since then I have not reproduced the error, if it happens again I will post here. Thanks

Thanks for the information. I’ll keep an eye on this issue.
Don’t hesitate to alert, like you did, if it happen again.

Regards,

Sebastien

I also have this problem and have to force quit when using CE4.

Could you specify where the image you’re trying to export is located (i.e. the full path to it)?
With Catalina, it might be that you’re trying to export an image from the Desktop, or another “secured” folder, where you have granted permission to PhotoLab to access it, but not to Nik.

I import from camera to Photos, select those I want to process, export to separate folder, open in PL3.
If I force quit NIK (when no image appears )and then re export from PL3 it will say the image is already there, then tell it to overwrite and works ok

This happens to me as well. It’s consistent and reproducible. The image file in question is located in a subdirectory within my home directory:

/Users/me/Pictures/Main/2019/Misc

Based on the following, am I even running the latest Nik version? It doesn’t appear that the Nik module I’m using is equipped to handle Catalina; i.e. it’s not asking for permissions to the directory in order for me to grant them.

App path: /Applications/Nik Collection/Analog Efex Pro 2.app
app ID: com.dxo.aep2.app
version: 5.0.2
build: 5.0.2.10
SDK version: macosx10.13

Usage Descriptions:

Entitlements:

Property list incorrect format.
App signature check:
/Applications/Nik Collection/Analog Efex Pro 2.app: accepted
source=Notarized Developer ID
origin=Developer ID Application: DxO Labs (HBU78K46ZD)

Thanks for the details, we’ll look into it, and first try to reproduce it.

I had the same problem recently (no image displayed in Nik when exporting from PL 3). This happened soon after the most recent PL3 updates. What I did to solve the problem was to download and reinstall Nik software package, but before running the installer I removes the Nik apps using the “Deinstaller” (?). Things are back to normal now.

The issue has resurfaced again for me:

While using PL3 Elite, I click on the Nik button, choose a Nik module a Tiff is created in PL, Nik Silver Efex opens up without an image being displayed. At this point it is locked up and I need to force quit Nik. Not sure what other info you might need, I am using Catalina.

Getting back to this issue, if you ran into this problem, would you mind confirming that you are all using Catalina? (I’ve seen a few mentions of Catalina already here)

Then, are you exporting to the Desktop or Pictures folder (or somewhere below those)? If that’s so, can you try and export at some other place, like the root of your home directory, and see if that behaves differently there?

I am using Catalina, the issue is when in PL3 I click on the Nik button to use a Nik plugin and a tiff is created in PL3 but when the Nik plugin opens the image is not there to edit. Nik has to be forced quit to continue, then trying the process again it works fine, a 2nd tiff is created and the image opens in the Nik plugin.

The general case where the bug occurs has been pretty much identified already (from earlier posts, it is very clear), but still, we can’t reproduce it.
Which is why we need to get a bit more information, and in particular, where the images you’re trying to export are located on the disk.

Without that, we won’t be able to do much more.

The images opened in PL3 that I am trying to open in Nik are in a master image library folder on an external disk. The error occurs the first time trying to export to Nik, on subsequent tries it works. After editing in Nik and returning the tiff to PL3 I can export the image to any location desired. Nik is located on my ssd hard drive in my iMac the same location as PL3.

I do confirm this bug.

When launching first time a Nik app, the app open but do not display the tiff, and it is blocked. I had to force quit.
Second attempt is successful.

I’m on Catalina, all applications and images on the native SSD, in particular images are in a folder under the Images root directory as all my images worked in DPL. No image on desktop.

After investigation, and a bit of help from Pathal, it looks like this is a bug caused by the Nik plugins, and that seems to be fixed in the latest beta versions.
I’ll let the Nik team know and we’ll follow up on this this once the latest version is released.