New update throwing errors when processing several RAW files (mac)

I’m running PureRAW on a macbook pro, sonoma (14.5), m2 pro 32 gb ram
DxO Pure Raw 4.3.0 / build 9

I’m wondering if anyone else is having this issue (and if it’s possible to revert to the previous version).

The bug I’m seeing clearly started happening when I recently updated to 4.3.0 / build 9 (not sure what my earlier version was).

When I process a batch of Sony ARW (raw) files (let’s say 80 to 100 files), PureRAW will throw an error after it processes about 30 to 40 of those files.

Then it halts the queue without any notice.

It always says that there was an error processing one of the files: “What went wrong? 1 image couldn’t be processed as a processing error occurred ”

However, I can look at the corresponding DNG file and it’s perfectly fine (there was no error).

Then I have to re-start PureRAW and re-process another 30 to 40 files before it throws the same error again.

The “time remaining” is also quite buggy now. The previous version would give me a reasonable estimate on the amount of time remaining to process my batch of images.
With the new update, the message of “About minutes remaining” jumps around a lot and is not stable/reliable.

Finally, the aquamarine colored “processing bar” that shows how many images have been processed, also jumps around and appears unstable. My guess is that this is tied to the instability with the time remaining.

None of this happened with the previous version. No errors. No halts. No jumping around of the time remaining or processing bar.

Like I said, I’m wondering if others have noticed this and if I can download the previous version.

TYVM

Exactly the same problem here with my Mac M1. There seems to be a bug in the latest version. Right now, I’m processing files with another computer that hasn’t been updated. I have looked for the previous version but can’t find it anywhere.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Which is why you should always keep the installer for each version. That way rolling back is simple. At least it is on Windows.

One of the Mac users here e.g. @Joanna might be able to advise you on how to revert to a previous version on a Mac.

That couldn’t be simpler. Just copy the older app bundle over the newer one.

Is there a link to the older versions?

Thank you, @Joanna

Just restore it via Time Machine

@EduP @pdanese
In case anyone needs it, here’s the download link to v4.2.1:

Make sure to always keep the previous installer when installing a new version.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Believe it or not, I don’t use Time Machine. :frowning:

Edit: rolling back to 4.2.1 removes the bugginess.

Thank you.

Well, do you not have a regular backup ?

I back up working files (spreadsheets, PDFs, etc.), but I typically don’t back up applications. Maybe that should change.

You should always back up your software installation files. It is the prudent thing to do.

Mark

1 Like

Same here on an M1 MacBook Air. Additionally, this new version generates a different type of DNG for 90% of the pictures from my EOS R7. The difference is that Lightroom Classic doesn’t offer the ‘RAW’ tools anymore. Not for all the images I process, just most of them. No issues with the images from my R8.

Replying to myself: 4.2.1 also has the issues with most of the CR3 from my EOS R7.

And after some more experimenting: the bug seems to be completely on the Lightroom side, forcing a different colour profile and then resetting to the correct one restores the ‘RAW’ controls.

I had the same issues with an M1 Mac and LR I came home from night 1 of a 4-night rodeo job, set a batch of 557 images to process overnight, and woke up to 42 images done and a big mess. I’m trying the roll back to 4.2.1

Roll back didn’t work for me

It’s strange, Paul. Rolling back to 4.2.1 fixed the problem for me 100%. I’m on a Mac mini M1 with 16 GB RAM, working with 24 and 45 MP files.

I’ll give it another try . I have thousands of very high ISO rodeo pictures to process by tomorrow. Having batches hang up after 44 images is making me crazy.

Just to give you another idea, it seems that the issue is just with Mac. You could temporarily install the software on a Windows PC (you can install PureRaw on two computers) to handle the big batch. My kid’s 800€ PC Gamer is faster than my Mac (8 seconds per file vs. 10 seconds on the M1).

1 Like