New Licensing in Preparation with PhotoLab 7.7?

But those versions were working without connection (except the first one to check licence, and those to get camera/lenses files - but once done, we could avoid any leak of personal datas).
Not anymore apparently. Unless finding special versions of software “which does not require internet connection”.

Get in touch with DxO and ask for your data.

My question is how can I control that datas they’ll give back to me are really what they are collecting ?
It is mandatory that they give the access to those datas, so they have no choice and do this, as any company which collect private data has to do.
BUT is there an independant control agency that verify which datas are collected ?

Let me explain a little more :
What I find very strange for example, is that windows versions are free after you buy your first one for years, decade now, and more than that, that window do the pressing to push us to do the free updates of the major versions.
An other example is that lot of communication applications are free on smartphone.
How a company can leave giving free versions perpetually ???

Collecting private datas seems to be a new income source.
And DxO’s aggressive communication change this year suggest that they’re looking for every kind of income possible (new advertising on this forum is one example).
(Why is an other question with several possible responses).

SO, QUESTION REMAINS :
How can I check (not ingeniously ask for) what datas are collected ?
And check what they do with those datas ?

DxO’s official disclosure is here - basically the same sort of disclosure as other companies I have a relationship with will provide:

Note: when I open this page it’s in English. Also note that it covers software data collection, not just website data collection and cookies.

Yes, but photolab was different.
It was possible with photolab to avoid private datas leak : working without internet connection.
It seams now it won’t be.

This was one of the “wonderfull” feature of photolab which won’t exist anymore as I understand.

1 Like

Data Protection Regulations describe the rights - not the details of technical implementations and interfaces. :man_shrugging:

After all the discussions for several weeks now, perhaps this detail should concern us most:
DxO has not reacted with even a SINGLE WORD about all this yet.

If they had nothing to hide, they could simply explain. And/or react to the (valid) arguments against the required internet connection - and correct that.

Saying NOTHING indicates that the worst speculations are probably true.

No, it doesn’t. You seem to be equating DxO’s not acting as you think they should with affirmation of everyone’s worst fears. This is a logical fallacy. DxO is usually silent in these forums regardless of topic or what we think is important. There is abundant evidence of that. Plus, like many companies, they have a standing policy of not commenting on future products or service changes, as these aren’t finalized until official announcements are promulgated. Anyone in the know would have signed an NDA to prevent public disclosure.

DxO’s current policies are in writing and recent changes do not imply anything other than an effort to enforce the existing end-user license agreement. What’s happening in this topic is just speculation that’s been going on for several years now. I’ve never seen DxO respond to it. Maybe someone else has.

4 Likes

But its been introducd not somthing in the future in as far as having to have internet active to keep a program working
But nothing on this a big change mid way though a version with no announcement

Again, DxO doesn’t announce anything pertaining to a future release. They make announcements as updates are released. In my experience, it’s typical to announce/publish such changes in the release notes - and that’s exactly what DxO did:

“An internet connection is required to use the Software and specifically for its activation. After online activation, DxO PhotoLab can be used offline for 37 days before a connection to DxO’s servers is required. Notifications advising that a connection is needed will be displayed after 30 days.”

True, DxO doesn’t clearly explain the reason that they changed the behavior. They just say that an Internet connection is now required at least every 37 days. It’s now the case for all DxO software. But I think the reason is obvious from what DxO says here about activation: periodic Internet access is now needed to keep the software activated - that is, to verify that the license key can still be used according to DxO’s terms.

https://support.dxo.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=✓&query=internet+access+required

1 Like

I agree with your comments but it is bad management practice on DXO’s part for not simply stating the reason for the change and shutting down all this negative speculation.

Making some of your customers dissatisfied for no good reason, reflects the managements disdain for their paying customers. Not a good look.

1 Like

Or they just don’t want to feed the trolls.

No it doesn’t. They just decided not to participate in this hysteria.

Conspiracy theorists will find multiple reasons why DxO is bad, can’t be trusted, and demand explanation of why they can’t verify the payload transferred to DxO license servers.

Where do you find any conspiracy argumentation here.
You answer with concepts prepared for morons.
Sorry to answer like this.

The desire to have the certainty of keeping one’s private life private, of not having personal data scattered all over the web, has nothing to do with any conspiracy theory whatsoever.

2 Likes

“A conspiracy theory is an explanation for an event or situation that asserts the existence of a conspiracy by powerful and sinister groups, often political in motivation, when other explanations are more probable. The term generally has a negative connotation, implying that the appeal of a conspiracy theory is based in prejudice, emotional conviction, or insufficient evidence.”… No? Doesn’t ring any bells?

For you it does. Obviously !

Let me remind you:

Do you have any proof that DxO is trying to steal your data? I mean exactly proof, not conspiracy theory based on your mood of the month? Hmm… I though so…

If you read the whole subject, I was just asking how to check (not ask ingeniously) what datas will be stored in DxO servers.
The fact that personal data is scattered all over the net may not concern you, but some people value their privacy.

It seems that rings some conspiracy theory bells for you … Don’t ring too fast … and too emotionnaly …

I will stop this before moderators ask to delete those posts.
Have a good day.

Me too - after recent issues with raw files from one of my cameras having the exif data stripped and then not being able to load the file in PL - then to raise a ticket and still not have a solution - TBH - I can’t be bothered with DXO any more - and when I see people moaning about Adobe being subscription - if you fall for the FMO psychological aspect of having to pay for updates (DXO) coupled with the way they split important aspects of software (requiring Filmpack to get luminosity masks) - effectively you are still paying a subsciption (or a near equivalent) in the upgrade costs. Plus I still want photoshop - I basically wasted my money on the DXO stuff and admit that I did fall for the marketing BS but I actually do think Lightroom ACR and photoshop are still superior products (but that’s just my subjective opinion based on using adobe for the the last 2 years and DXO exclusively for the last 4 months).