New Licensing in Preparation with PhotoLab 7.7?

I have been wondering if all this ties in to the changed BETA program. It would appear there are fewer people doing it and if there are majer changes that would be fewer to leak the news. If so its been under way for some time

I am surprised that some see this as only a change to a subscription model and even that is a speculation.

To me the far more serious issue is that in the event DxO servers are not around you canā€™t continue to use the software you have purchased. All your investments in time and money would be gone.

Another thing that baffles me is that DxO isnā€™t even responding to the posts.

2 Likes

maybe they are looking this as a trial balloon ?

I too would be looking at more openly/friendly licensed alternatives to DxO if my laptop needs to be tied to license servers 10x yearly.

I dropped two video editing suites before settling on Davinci because of licensing/networking tie ins. If I was willing to go through the personal/professional disruption that changing video editing suites can cause, Iā€™m also just as likely to look for alternative to PhotoLab (user since early in the old OpticsPro Elite days).

and they have been bust once and give every indication of being over stretched now with so many programs and little real development in pl.

Adobe ?
Adobeā€™s new terms of service unacceptably gives them access to all of your projects, for free

1 Like

See here
(1) Adobe roofies all of their customers - YouTube

1 Like

Do we know, for sure, which was the last version of PL that did not check for licensing on the DxO server ?

With certainty no, the mention appeared in the release note of the v7.7.1
Everything else is only assumed

In this case I will never use an Abo again ā€¦

Something clearly changed with Photolab 7.7, when we got a new splash screen and the new 'Online license status: verified notification. Prior to PL7.7, there was no indication of your license status, and there still isnā€™t, with the most recent version of PL6 v6.17.0

The real issue to me, is that unless your bought and paid for perpetual licence PL7 ā€˜phones homeā€™ it stops working on day 38. I think it is reasonable, for DxO to inform their customers of the implication of this change.

Regards Patrick

In case DxO PL goes subscription I will either use RawTherapee or buy Nitro Photo. Lets wait and see.

Hello everyone, perhaps I donā€™t really understand what this is all about. I am using DXO PL with DxO Fp and DxO VP. I have purchased all licenses properly. DxO can check the licenses a thousand times a day for all I care, itā€™s their right. Okay, whether the 37-day clause is legal would have to be checked legally. But whatā€™s the problem? I go online at least once a month to check for updates and the counter is reset. As for the change of license model, thatā€™s all conjecture. Letā€™s not stress and wait and see. When DxO changes the model, everyone can make a decision for themselves. Iā€™m much more worried about MS with WIN11. Nobody really knows what data is being tapped and sent to MS and what MS is doing with it. I would welcome it if we could run DxO with Unix in the future.

1 Like

Read the whole topic, some people use PL on machines that cannot access the Internet every 37 days.

Search the forum, youā€™ll find lots of topics on this. All of which boil down to, ā€œThatā€™s never going to happen.ā€

1 Like

I know. However, maybe the solution will come from Unix. Maybe some days in the future DxO PL will rune in wine. I cross my fingers.

Now, that really is the stuff of dreams. Three code bases, Windows, Mac and Linux? Theyā€™ve got enough achieving feature parity with the two they have at present. Attempting to run a high powered graphics app through an emulator is a disaster waiting to happen.

so, they should get rid of mac :smile:

1 Like

thatā€™s it :joy: :joy: :joy:

Have you seen how fast the new Apple M processors run performance graphics software like PhotoLab DeepPRIME, without the need for additional GPUs?

Easiest way to beat the competition - simply ensure they are not able to run. :slight_smile: