Nepal, 2006, Street Scene, Sewing

In 2006 I made a several week long visit to Nepal, traving in a bus with a hospital group intent on improving eye exams, treatment, and surgery. I was along as a photographer, with my Nikon D70 and another smaller camera.

Reviewing the photos now, one photo out of fifty seems to me to have potential, reasonable composition, good color, and something interesting going on. Out of perhaps 100 photos from this day’s segment of my visit, to Bhairawa, five or six images stood out.

I took so, so many photos out the windows of a moving bus, but none of them qualified as photos I really enjoy. I took just a single photo of this scene - maybe I trusted myself more back then than I should have. Once again, I wonder why I was updating my cameras every year or two - the D70 would be fine even today.

No ‘raw’ image, back then I couldn’t spell “raw”. I assumed all photographers used jpg, and wasn’t yet aware of the improvements available from raw images. Today, reviewing my images, that choice limits how well I can edit them. Just one of the many mistakes I made over the years.

I suppose technically, the image doesn’t have a main subject; it now has three, but I think everything, even the bicycle bookends, contributes to why I enjoy the image. Had anyone looked up at me, I’d never be posting it.

No point in posting the original image and the .dop file, although I can do so if anyone wants to see them.

1 Like

A CD as a pragmatic solution for a reflector…as seen in the lower RH side.
And I bet that the sewing machine has no Internet access :wink:

Other than that, well done (a bit too saturated for my taste though)