Multiple video cards

I have a HP G8 G4 with 2 rtx A4000’s in it. Davinci resolve studio uses both video cards when rendering. It would be great when Photolab also uses all available hardware!

My PC sometimes emits too much hot air with only one video card (RTX 4070 with liquid cooler) :slight_smile: It wouldn’t be practical for me. When exporting 1000+ files with DeepPRIME I usually have a tea far from it.

Is PL yet able to make full use of one GPU and one CPU? Nevertheless, if PL can be made to use two GPUs with greater efficiency then I’m all for it. Only, the power requirements for two high-end GPUs scare me a bit. :smile:

Don’t forget to vote for your own request!

1 Like

It should be a choice (checkbox) in preferences : select one GPU (any one - if only one maybe not the one driving screen display) or both or CPU.

This would maybe remedy to that.

Would be nice to see photolab fully scalable in this area.

1 Like

My guess is that DaVinci can use one GPU for video display and the other for software calculations, but that’s just a guess. For displaying stills, you don’t really need GPU processing power but some video may require it. For home use, heat dissipation is an obstacle. With two A4000 it may be OK, with TDP=140W each. But the RTX 4090 has TDP=450W, while being more energy efficient compared to 30x0 family. GPUs used in supercomputers consumer even more power.

EDIT: Found this:
"
There’s one thing you need to keep in mind when rendering DaVinci Resolve: the free version can use only one GPU, while the paid version (studio version) can use up to 8 GPUs, making it a choice when you want to export in 8K.
"
Video processing is just in another league for its processing power needs…

Thanks for the reminder, just voted :+1: The Z8 G4 can handle even 3 high end video cards. I will only use it when my solar panels produce enough :wink: