MoonSet over Miami

I woke up late last night, glanced out my window, and I saw a lovely scene with the moon about to set over Miami. I like the moon (but so bright!!!), disliked the clouds (but they dimmed the moon a little), and loved the reflections on the water. I worked with lots of settings to bring out the boats in Biscayne Bay, and cropped on both sides, thinking I cut the image down to the parts I liked the most.

I realized later on, that I forgot how to do bracketing on the D780, but by the time I figured that out, what I enjoyed the most was gone because the moon appeared dimmer. Photo was captured with my old Nikon 80 - 200, which was already on the camera.

780_6194 | 2024-07-20.nef (27.9 MB)
780_6194 | 2024-07-20.nef.dop (14.8 KB)

There were constant clouds around the moon, which I tried to show in the photo. I would have preferred to get a proper exposure for the moon, but then the rest of the image would be gone. A control point helped make it just slightly darker. A black background around the image shows me the image much better, so I switched DxO to “night mode”. By using Smart Lighting a little but more, I found I could bring out more detail in the boats in Biscayne Bay, but that seemed to detract from the overall scene. Raising it to 84 got this view, which I suspect might be better:

It’s not what I could see with my eyes, and I think it’s too bright, but it is more “accurate”.

We’ve been through his before.

Photographing the moon is the same as photographing a white wall on a slightly cloudy day - same exposure -Sunny 16 rule minus 1 stop.

In other words, 1/100 sec @ f/11, 100 ISO. So, allowing for +2EV for the moon’s brightness, with your settings, you are around 8 stops over-exposed.

The only ay I know to cope with this is to take two shots - one for the moon and another for the rest but with a much lower ISO and, definitely, a much smaller aperture than f2.8.

It is ** imperative** that you expose for the brightest subject and recover shadow detail.

DxO software doesn’t have a “night mode”. That is part of the forum software.

Here is my attempt, with which I am not at all satisfied…

If you want detail on the moon, try something like ISO 200, 4 secs @ f/10…

Oops, I meant Safari. I can view the image in one or the other format, with “white” surrounding my image, or with “black” surrounding my image.

Black:

White:

I discovered this by accident - and if I’m looking at images in the forum, I enjoy the dark mode more, my eyes are more comfortable.

The icon is at the top right in these two images, a “sun” icon, and a “crescent moon” icon.

The first thing I know, but with all the clouds, getting a good image of the moon didn’t seem possible.

Here’s the file with exposure for the moon:
780_6200 | 2024-07-20.nef (25.3 MB)

Perhaps you can get a decent image from this, I couldn’t.

I agree, taking two images and combining them might work - but I don’t think PhotoLab can do that?

Or a grey surrounding your image if you just click on the image.

That’s what I’ve been doing while checking images. Works great. The other way works while you are still typing and entering image(s).