Merging raw images

Although I am a Nikon system user (current primary bodies Z8 and Z9), an upcoming assignment motivated me to seek – for specific work – a small volume less weight system. After demo-ing an OM OM-1 Mk II for a week, I have now added an OM-1 Mk II kit. Many current cameras will take multiple raw images and thus using the proprietary software application from the camera manufacturer produce a final de-mosaiced image file, a file that cannot be treated as “raw” under PL. Does PL have this ability to combine such multiple raw image files into a single image maintaining the full capabilities of PL raw processing? If so, for which systems/bodies?

No this is not possible

I don’t think photolab handle any photosite shifting method; not nikon one (Z6III) neither any other (if this is what it is about with your kit).
For now. (As this method seems to be adopted more and more, it could become commonplace, and then DxO should take the plunge).

Nor Pentax Pixel-Shift.

I’ve “played” with it, a long time ago, but I find PhotoLab with its modules brings out far more detail than I can get with Pixel-Shift in Lightroom.

Pixel-Shift in PhotoLab? Who knows, but I suspect it would not make a huge difference, if made possible.

If you are talking about the Olympus ORI files, then take a look at these links

It looks like my EM5 II is supported but I have never tried it.

Allan

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/olympus-high-res-mode.106920/

Im case you use a Mac, you can give the app Burst Photo a try. It is free, works with almost any camera and provides the feature you are asking for.

Assumptions! It isn’t clear what @wildlifephoto is calling for. If the question about combining multiple RAW images actually refers to pixel-shift high resolution output, then the OM-1 can already do that in camera, producing a RAW image file that PL can process as RAW.

However, I don’t think that’s what was meant (the OP will have to clarify):

OM Workspace is the proprietary software in this case. As far as I know, it can’t combine multiple RAW images from the camera any more than PL can. So I assume what is meant is stitching or stacking multiple photos in some way other than pixel shift.

1 Like

Several clarifications to my query.

(1) In “high res” mode, an OM body – such as the OM-1 II that is in my kit – combines data from multiple sensor-shifted data sets into one “high res” raw file, ORF format. PL7 does treat the combined image file as an ORF raw, with all of the corrections possible for a raw provided the body and lens combination are supported. (NB: This can be problematic when adapters are used between body and lens, as I have discovered with my Z8/Z9 and two different full automation adapters: EF to Z and E to Z).

(2) The processing of the image by PL proceeds as expected, although the result may not be as “sharp” as one might except from a 50 plus Mpix raw file.

(3) The question has to do with the general issue of multiple raw files being combined by, typically, camera manufacturer proprietary workflow, and which does NOT produce a mosaiced (raw) image file. Example: the original is N raw image files plus whatever information is required to combine these N files in the correct “spatial position” to produce one final image file. If this file is not a demosaiced image, but a raw file in a file extension that PL “recognises” then indeed PL will give one “full control” over the process with all of the capabilities that can be applied to a raw file. If however, the result is demoasaiced (JPEG, flat DNG, etc), one loses such capabilities. Is there any method to make such a combined file – as enabled by the camera manufacturer – into one mosaiced raw file that PL will allow full raw corrections?