Lytham Hall

Lytham Hall is an 18th-century Georgian country house in Lytham, Lancashire (North West England), 1 mile from the centre of the town, in 78 acres of wooded parkland. It is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building, the only one in the Borough of Fylde.

Taken on a recent visit on 10.07.24 & processed with PLv7.7.2 (Windows).

The Gardener’s Cottage, Lytham Hall:

Garden Centre, Lytham Hall:

1 Like

@mrcrustacean , in the second pic I would try to lighten the right bottom corner. The clay pots are part of the photo, but are unfortunately somewhat lost.

Thanks for the repy HGF.

I have now viewed the jpeg in PL7, and the clay pots are nowhere near as dark or blocked as they appear in the image posted to the forum. So either I need to adjust the way I post the image, or the blocked shadows are a limitation of the forum? Any observations will be gratefully received.

Best wishes,

Patrick

Well, both images have a similar dark mood as the view of the house opens up.
But with a little more light the clay pots would look even more beautiful.

( my screen is set to 80 cd/m² )

Thanks, I will try a local adjustment and see if that produces a better image of the pots.

Are you using a calibrated screen?
Which ICC profile do you use for export?

HGF,

No unfortunately I am not using a calibrated monitor, and the PL7 Export dialogue is showing the ICC profile ‘As shot’.

@mrcrustacean , if you want to share the raw file of “Lytham Hall-6160_DxO” and the corresponding dop file with us, I can search in parallel for the root cause.

Lytham Hall-6160.dng (47.8 MB)
Lytham Hall-6160.dng.dop (13.6 KB)

As I said in my other post and @HGF suggests, you really need to calibrate your screen.

But also, for posting to web forums, use the sRGB profile for export

Joanna,

I think I will have to invest in a calibration device :grinning:

I will also take your advice and select sRGB for posting to web forums.

I use the Calibrate ColorChecker Display Plus, or whatever they are calling it now…

… changed it now to AdobeRGB to see what you did. :slight_smile:

Since you seem to like dark and bold colors, I didn’t mess around. Instead, I used a control line with gentle exposure compensation over the clay pots, added an inverted, very large control point that serves as a very slight vignette and exported as sRGB. – Play with it and try yourself.

Lytham Hall-6160.dng.dop (28,8 KB)

Btw, what is your intention to first apply LR?

@Wolfgang, I used Lightroom Classic as a DAM, and exported the raw file to PhotoLab for processing via the plugin. I also have ready access to the original NEF file if required.

Have been wondering why you used dng instead the original raw file.
But then, I’m not familiar with your workflow (don’t need a dam).

In terms of color, there was a barely perceptible difference somewhere in the green tones when switching from AdobeRGB to sRGB soft proof – nothing to worry about.

It’s just that you darkened the shades, but that might be a personal preference …

That is curious.
Export:
JPG no resize, no compression, ICC sRGB

Customized image by @mrcrustacean
Compared DxO (right) - Export(left), Res 100%

DNG
Preset no corrections
Same export values
Compared DxO (right) - Export(left) Res 100%

In both samples the export is darker, what should not be.
Could it be that DxO has problems with DNG export? To exclude this, I would like so see the original RAW (NEF) from the camera.

@HGF as requested please find attached the NEF file:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/s2yflhkoqjtstn39rxfam/Lytham-Hall-6160.NEF?rlkey=fhfo9zr8pj24h0b1nvxqgzmlc&dl=0

@HGF there does seem to be a difference in output when you compare a jpeg produced from a DNG (left below) & the NEF (right below):

@mrcrustacean

I used your DNG and Settings (M) to which I had added my corrections (VC 1) and copied everything into your NEF (M) as well as the new virtual copy (VC 1). Both versions of the virtual copy were set to Softproof sRGB and I exported each as a full size JPEG with the same As Softproof setting. – Everything was done in PL7.8.0 Build 254.

Now when I compare both JPEGs, they look completely the same.

@Wolfgang Thank you, perhaps matters will be resolved, when I am in a position to calibrate my monitor?