Loading a .DNG panorama exported from Lightroom?

I’ve recently gotten myself a drone (DJI Mini 4 Pro, not sure that matters here) and since Photolab 7 doesn’t support panoramic photo creation, I’ve had to use Lightroom to stitch the panoramas.

Has anyone had any success in importing such a file into Photolab 7?

I’ve tried exporting as a .DNG but although Photolab will generate a thumbnail preview of the file, it won’t actually load the file for editing. I get an error: “Cannot load image data. File is damaged or not supported.”

I know .DNGs are supported since Photolab will load non-panoramic .DNG files from the drone.

Anyway, if anyone has any idea how I could load stitched panoramics into Photolab, I’d appreciate it, otherwise it seems something I’ll have to rely on Lightroom for.

Only DNGs from supported cameras are allowed which is why many if us are asking that they be allowed in the same way as jpgs. It sounds like its lost the camera data so is being blocked. Use jpg and it will be allowed in and basic editing allowed.

1 Like

Use TIFs and you’ll have more editing headroom.

1 Like

Stitched panoramas from Lightroom are no longer RAW files so just save as 16-bit tiff and you will be just fine.

1 Like

Thank you all, sounds like TIF might be the way forward.

I’d like to complete editing in Photolab to take advantage of Photolab’s noise reduction engine etc. so hopefully that will be supported.

Much of the colour and contrast editing I could otherwise do in Lightroom (so there’d be little point in moving it across to PL, as far as I can see).

DeepPRIME and DeepPRIME XD NR were designed to be applied as part of the raw file demosaicing process only. As a result, these features are not usable for TIFF files, and that is unlikely to change. Of course, it is always possible that DxO will create some alternative NR tool that will be applicable to TIFF and Jpeg images as some point in the future.

Mark

2 Likes

What I do is use PL to process the individual files (including noise reduction) and then stitch in my panorama software.

Make sure you apply the same adjustments to all files. I limit my adjustments to lens correction and de-noise and then stitch and finally make other adjustments in PL using the tiff stitched panorama.

5 Likes

That’s actually not something I’d thought of Keith and it’s a longer process than I’d hoped (editing many individual files vs. one stitched one) but… yeah, I see no reason that wouldn’t work!

Can I ask what file type you export to your paronama software in? TIFF?

Select the files, add NR to it, export and make yourself a cup of coffee, or something like that.
I don’t know if @KeithRJ is doing that too but I also adjust the WB on the selected files: all the same.

George

Yes, tiff. I should have mentioned that.

I have setup Hugin as an application to export to from PL. PL then processes my files and passes them to Hugin where I stitch them and save the stitched file to the same folder as the originals. PL automatically sees the file and I can edit it.

This works very effectively.

@KeithRJ Create a preset containing only lens correction and deep prime noise reduction (I’ve got one for round-tripping high ISO images from/to Capture One and it works really well), easy to apply to a pano set, then export as tif. Stitch in your chosen pano software then back to PL for further adjustments.

Clive

@roadcone That is pretty much what I do :slightly_smiling_face::+1:t2:

Using photolab as a fixer means just applying the same correction to all. Just use the optical correction preset even?

If you have all files selected, changes will be done to all files. So changing the amount of noise reduction (as example) is still just one slider.

Export them all als 'optical correction only DNG" and you should be able to load those into Lightroom, stitch there and still have the full dynamic range available to tweak the image looks how you want .