List of RAW-exclusive features

I just realize besides DeepPRIME denoise, there’re other features unavailable to jpeg. For instance, after the effort of mask creation, I notice certain local adjustment palette is greyed out if it’s not a RAW photo.

I wonder is there a webpage somewhere documenting the list of RAW-only features? That info would be very helpful. Any clue?

… doesn’t exist as far as I know.

If I had to find out, I’d run a first thing like this:

  • check each tool and see if it works on JPEG
  • add to a list if it doesn’t

The catch is, that some functionalities come from FP and VP and therefore, the conditions of testing should be mentioned.

Not having the time to produce such a list, I asked HAL 9000 to do so (this is also an excellent opportunity to see if HAL made mistakes in its research, should one accept that challenge).

“JUST A MOMENT… JUST A MOMENT…

When editing a JPEG or TIFF in DxO PhotoLab instead of a RAW file, several key tools and underlying algorithms are disabled because they specifically require unprocessed sensor data.

Here is the list of features that are unavailable or restricted when processing JPEGs:

1. AI Noise Reduction: The advanced DeepPRIME, DeepPRIME XD, and DeepPRIME XD2 denoising algorithms are strictly for RAW files. For JPEGs, you are limited to the legacy High Quality (HQ) noise reduction.

2. White Balance (Local Adjustments): As you noted, the White Balance slider (Color Temperature and Tint) is completely disabled within all Local Adjustments (Control Points, Control Lines, Auto Masks, etc.) for JPEGs.

3. White Balance (Global): While the global White Balance tool is active for JPEGs, it loses its absolute controls. You cannot enter absolute Kelvin temperature values, nor can you use camera-specific lighting presets (Daylight, Tungsten, Cloudy). You are restricted to a relative “Cold to Warm” slider.

4. Moiré Reduction: The Moiré tool, located in the Detail palette, is entirely disabled for JPEGs. It is a RAW-only feature designed to eliminate pattern artifacts during the demosaicing process.

5. Camera Body Color Rendering: In the Color Rendering palette, the ability to apply specific Camera Body profiles (e.g., applying Leica or Canon color science to a Nikon image) is restricted to RAW files. JPEGs are limited to applying FilmPack emulations or sticking to their baked-in color space.

6. Dead Pixel Correction: DxO PhotoLab automatically identifies and removes hot or dead sensor pixels in the background, but this automatic correction only occurs during RAW demosaicing.

7. Highlight Reconstruction (Exposure): While the Exposure Compensation and Smart Lighting tools remain active, the fundamental ability to recover blown highlight detail (using sensor data that exceeds the visible white point) is impossible on an 8-bit JPEG. JPEGs will simply turn clipped white areas into flat gray when the exposure is reduced.”

So, let me see if I understand; you’re wanting to adjust JPGs in a RAW converter? You cannot adjust JPGs in PL. Use Photoshop, Lightroom, etc. etc.

A minor set of functions are available in PL for jpg. Nevertheless, the full blown functions are available to RAW.

I use PL for both RAW and JPEG, and get fantastic results from both. Much of my work this year has been scanning and restoring the Family Kodachromes, and the 35mm slides from my 1985 trip to China. What am I missing that other JPEG editors provide? I am always looking to improve.

Inside the Imperial Garden of the Forbidden City, Beijing 1985

Baloney. Absolute fiction.

I happily stand corrected! I just tried it and 'lo and behold… I will tell you, the times I’ve ever tried it, which, to be honest is not very much, it didn’t work… You larn somepim ever day. Now, if DxO could add layers and blend modes, it would be Goodbye Photoshop.

Wow! It looks really nice! Thanks for sharing.

I’m curious how the photo looks like before edit.

I’ve been under impression that PureRAW is RAW converter, while PhotoLab is way beyond that.

Thanks! That’s a great start.

This is the main shortcoming preventing Photolab from offering the same functionality as RGB editors: blending layers.

Here it is. The original scan looks decent, as this slide has held up rather well over the years (good old Kodachrome), unlike some others, all of which are 46 years old.

I endeavored not to be a rude Westerner while in China, which meant not directly photographing Chinese citizens. In this case, they were posing for family which is when I could grab a shot too.

This a quintessential 1980s cultural moment. The older man is wearing a classic blue Mao suit with a red star cap, while the young boy is dressed in a miniature, replica People’s Liberation Army (PLA) uniform complete with epaulets and a peaked cap. Look at any photo of native Chinese people today - not a Mao suit to be seen.

Those trees are hundreds of years old.

I just finished using PL10’s Ai selection tools to edit a jpeg. Far better than my very old copy of Photoshop.

Allan

On the subject of non-available functions for non-RAW files, I see the reason that these functions want to access the original data of the sensor. Some function already intervene in the demosaicking.

For exported files, this data is no longer available. With TIFF jpg, etc. therefore usually only the functions no longer work, which are mainly intended for development, but not for further EBV.

Its AI mask accuracy is better than my expectation, definitely better than my experience with another software (not Adobe), which has AI mask feature since few years back - I’m surprised how quick DxO catch up in just one year.