Lightroom Classic and Capture One Pro video tutorials for PhotoLab

There are many, many video tutorials on YouTube for Capture One Pro and Lightroom Classic (in particular). I’ve watched a number of them over my years of using those two programs and found them to be generally useful and informative.

PhotoLab does not share in the plenty. Since I’ve used both other programs, and am transitioning off off Lightroom Classic, now, I’m finding it pretty easy to translate those techniques to PhotoLab. There are, of course, features that are specialized to the point that they cannot be translated, but those are few if some imagination is applied.

For example, I recently watched this one:

Some of my takeaways:

• He uses radial gradients to do some dodging and burning – we can use the masking brush with an appropriate feather.
  • He uses linear gradients at the top and bottom to bring the viewer’s eye into the image – we can do that, too.
  • He uses a really big radial gradient to emphasize the direction of light and an AI Mask to delete that gradient from the subject – we can use a really big feathered masking brush and a small Automatic Mask to subtract from it.

What videos have you found for other applications that can be translated for PhotoLab?

I’m sure there are loads of videos that can provide such hints. Nevertheless, I propose that you focus on your new tool of choice. I like the ones by Robin Whalley and others. Search for DxO tutorials and webinars too.

I’ll check them out. I’ve watched one or two by Whalley and found the tutorials by Pascal Pelé. Also a few videos by Rob Trek.

Can’t have enough. There are many techniques beyond the basics of use.

Hi @bobrocke Bob,

you can also look for stuff from Dave Kelly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmnDKMrKzvk

AnthonyMorganti and Dan Hughes have had also good instruction videos, but I’m not sure if they still produce for DXO products…why ???

There are several PL videos here:

No new video … but you can use a really BIG control point (zoom out to see the mask better), revert it and reduce exposure by some degree → partly mimicking “Darken/Lighten Centre” from Nik Color Efex, which only works with tif and jpg, but is way more elegant in that you can also adjust the ‘center’ luminosity (your ‘illuminated’ subject).