Issue with Control Lines

Hi Folks,
I am using the latest DXO PL 6.7.0 Build 52. I am a long time user of CS6, but after upgrading my iMac to a 64 bit OS of Big Sur (11.7.7), I needed other options. I love the power, flexibility of the program and am wondering why I did not switch earlier. My issue is whenever I try to use a control line to modify attributes of a certain part of the image, the Control Line is acting more like a gradient Filter. If you look at the snapshot below, you can see the start of my control line is approx in the middle of the image, but the area that is affected by the adjustments, extends down to the bottom of the screen. I have also tried to protect (using another control line with the"-", but that does not work. I was able to use the control point to protect part of the image, but am confused why it is affecting the entire lower part of the image. I have searched this group as well as google, without luck. I am guessing I am missing something simple since I have only been using the program for about a month.

Thanks

Your ‘issue’ is, you should use the Chrominance and Luminance settings at the RHS.

As well as what @Wolfgang says, you also need to use the eye dropper to select the source of the mask that is applied by the control line.

I suspect @Joanna will be a long soon with more guidance for you.

Thanks for the tips. So I am clear however, the two control lines (Start and Stop) do not control which part of the image will be modified?

Hi Stuck, I did use the eye dropper to control what mask would be used. My understanding from reading the manual however, is that the dashed and solid control line start and stop points are used to control exactly which part of the image you will be adjusting.

A control line works just like a gradient but with the added ability to use the eye dropper to select a part of the image to sample for luminance and chromanance which can then be adjusted.

This tool is actually a mixture of the gradient tool and the control point tool.

2 Likes

Thanks Keith. What are the start and stop control lines used for if not to control which part of the image you want to adjust? While I can use the dropper and chroma and luminance sliders to hone in on what I want to modify, my understanding from reading the manual is that the start and stop control lines limit where those adjustments will be made. If you look at the red box in the lower part of the sample image I posted above, adjustments are also affecting that area even though it is outside the control lines.

“ After activating the Control line in the radial menu, go to the image. The mouse pointer changes to a “+”, and all you have to do is draw the Control line so that it covers the portion of the image to be corrected. The Control line is located between two dashed lines. The bottom line can be tilted or moved to increase or decrease the size of the area to be corrected.”

1 Like

The start and end lines determine the extent of the gradient part of the local correction. Between the start line and the edge of the image, there will be no gradient: full correction, taking into account the luma/chroma mask. Between the end line and image edge, no correction.

full correction - -O- - gradient - -•- - no correction

1 Like

Hi Greg,
sorry for the too quick tipp – I was ‘on the run’ :slight_smile:

Check these two examples, where I placed the picker on the blue sky
(+ adjusting chroma and luma values at the RHS → Mask selectivity)

note – you can place the picker wherever you want

3 Likes

David and Wolfgang, thank you. I believe I finally understand.
Appreciate the assist.

1 Like

I too was pressed for time and I’m on my tablet so sorry, no screenshot examples. Thank you Wolfgang.

There are several control line usage tips discussed here: PL5: Control line

Sometimes the gradient tool is all I need if I don’t need the luma/chroma mask. Being able to erase parts of the gradient or add areas (from any part of the image) with the brush tool is very useful.

3 Likes

I don’t have much to add upon what others have said, but if you are not clear about how some tool or option work, you can use pretty well put together online manual for DXO. Also inside the DXO user interface, every panel has a little “?” question mark icon in the upper right hand corner. It will open up text with some useful tips.

https://userguides.dxo.com/photolab/en/local-adjustments/#control_line_

1 Like

Thanks Milan. I read the manual cover to cover, and many times over around Control lines, but it still was not clear.David and Wolfgang were able to clear it up for me.

2 Likes

Fair enough. By the way, I don’t know if it was said, but adding control POINTS as minus can subtract the selected area in case you want to do that. Its in the manual of the link I mentioned. Its quite useful.

Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

This tool is actually a mixture of the gradient tool and the control point tool.

I was also confused about the Control Line, and that sentence pretty much explains it. Thanks!

1 Like

You can also use a negative control line, just put it on top of the positive one but pull the gradient size down small and that will blank the 100% area leaving just the gradient area affected by the adjustment. It doesn’t give full cancellation though, only about 60-70% but it’s quicker and easier than using multiple negative control points.

2 Likes