Impressions from the oldest zoo in the world

4 Likes

What a fantastic collection of images!!!

It must have taken years to capture all of those.

Brilliant!!!

That is a fantastic collection of images - you must live nearby, and spend all your free time there. I hope you can come back and say more about how you managed to capture them. They are all “National Geographic” quality!

The cormorant shot is pretty epic, but my favourite is the monkeys, closely followed by the seals.

All images delightful.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike.

Fortunately, my job allows me to be there again and again - since 2011. Thousands of photos have been taken over the years. I’d be happy to upload more if you’d like.

There were years when I was there once or twice a week, then again only once a month or less.
Over time, I got to know the behavior of the animals, which is of course very helpful. Patience is an important factor. I often stand in front of an animal enclosure for 30 minutes or longer and wait for “the moment”. Observation and experience give you a sense of if and when something might “happen”. Then all you have to do is press the shutter release :wink:

By car it’s about 30 - 45 minutes, 25 kilometers. Vienna is not that big.

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Ah yes, patience and observation. Something that digital photographers seem to forget about in favour of machine gunning away, frightening the animal, and then spending hours trying to decide which of the thousand or so shots were worth keeping. Then deciding that they cannot decide, so they keep all of them “just in case” :woozy_face:

All, he says. Oh, if only :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

SO TRUE!

Well, it would be a bit late to start checking/adjusting the parameters at this point. :grin:

I take it for granted that we know our equipment very well and are familiar with the relationships between time, aperture, ISO, AF and so on. :innocent:

Or, as I’ve heard from many club members, just leave it on automatic :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes: :face_with_spiral_eyes:

I looked around their website for a few minutes last night - perhaps you could allow them to use your photos? Just an idea.

As part of the adult education center (I hope, this is the right term) here in Vienna, I organize “photo walks” to the zoo and to an ancient cemetery that is a listed historical site. These walks take about 4-6 hours, depending on the location.
When people sign up via the homepage, they are clearly told that knowledge of all the factors mentioned, plus very good knowledge of their own camera, is a prerequisite! What do you think they will ask during the walk? Right
 :roll_eyes:

There is a “slide show” on the zoo’s website, on the homepage/main page, with pictures taken by visitors. People can create an account and upload the pictures they took during their visit. The zoo’s administration evaluates the pictures and the particularly good ones are then shown in this “slide show” for the next 3 or 4 days. It’s always fun to see which pictures make it through. I haven’t been there for a long time now, but so far I’ve always had at least 3 photos in this slideshow on the main page at the same time. But you don’t earn anything with it :wink:
Since it makes sense to enter an e-mail address in your account, people can write to you if they want to use a picture. My pictures have been requested for all sorts of things.

Went there, done that. Saw a lot of “snapshots”.

They should put your photos on a permanent display. My opinion. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the monkeys - a cracking image. And I never knew Vienna had the oldest zoo - thanks :+1:

1 Like

Excellent images from a great zoo.

We were in Vienna and visited Schönbrunn Zoo in late September 2023. I tell everyone to visit this zoo, it is laid out so beautifully. Vienna is a beautiful city also and worth the trip. And, aside from visiting the Schönbrunn Zoo, make sure you have Sacher torte at the Sacher Hotel while in Vienna.

Paul

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words, Paul!
Yes, the zoo is really well laid out and offers a lot of variety. You could easily spend a whole day there and still not have seen everything.
Furthermore, I can only agree with you about the Sachertorte! :yum:

By the way, I love penguins!

Great photos but I wonder about their claim of being the “Oldest Zoo”
I’m sure there are probably others but here is one example

The First Zoo in London

From the 1200s to 1835, the Tower of London housed a collection of exotic wild animals, never before seen in London, including lions and a polar bear given as gifts to kings and queens. This collection is known as a menagerie.

The Royal Menagerie at the Tower of London is known as the ‘first zoo in London’. When it closed, many Tower animals were moved to the Zoological Gardens in Regent’s Park – today’s London Zoo.

PS. I’m not English, so nothing to rave about.

Allan, you’re right. And thank you for your feedback. I should add “the oldest zoo in the world that still exists and is still open”.