Images of Castles

The Château de Falaise is a castle from the 12th-13th century, located in the south of the commune of Falaise in the département of Calvados, in the region of Normandy. William the Conqueror, was born at an earlier castle on the same site in about 1028. Wikipedia

2 Likes

I like the image but it looks a bit flat to my eyes. Was it processed in PhotoLab?

Mark

@mwsilvers Yes, it was processed in PL7.8.0 (Windows). I think the compression applied on upload to the website, has unfortunately taken its toll on the image quality!

A few thoughts.

I love the photo - you filled the screen with the castle, and it almost feels like I am standing there.

I agree with Mark, it is too “flat”. If you wanted, you could upload the original and the .dop file so others could try it.

Why do you think the “compression applied on upload” would degrade the image. That doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe it’s just one more thing I don’t understand well enough, but every photo I upload loos the same in the forum as it did in PhotoLab.

@mikemyers Mike I am now expert, but the original jpeg is 11.1MB & the image in the forum is only 360KB a big difference!

I will see if an increase in contrast solves the problem?

or

@mikemyers
Falaise-1932.dng (37.5 MB)
Falaise-1932.dng.dop (59.7 KB)

Keep in mind, anything I can do, @Joanna can do 100x better.
Maybe Mark can give it a try.
Most of what I did was to adjust the Tone Curve.

You did something to bring up strange effects in the sky - I just made it slightly more blue.

Here’s my .dop file:
Falaise-1932.dng.dop (16.1 KB)

Sizergh Castle and Garden is a stately home and garden at Helsington in the English county of Cumbria, about 4 miles (6.4 km) south of Kendal. Located in historic Westmorland the castle, a grade I listed building, is in the care of the National Trust along with its garden and estate. It is the home of the Hornyold-Strickland family.

In 2016 the Sizergh estate was included in the newly extended Lake District National Park. Wikipedia

Conwy Castle is a fortification in Conwy, located in North Wales. It was built by Edward I, during his conquest of Wales, between 1283 and 1287. Constructed as part of a wider project to create the walled town of Conwy, the combined defences cost around £15,000, a massive sum for the period. Wikipedia

Greetings

Here is my attempt…

Tried to bring out some of the lovely cloud detail

DOP with my version last…

Falaise-1932.dng.dop (96,0 Ko)

2 Likes

Joanna thank you.