Image editor looks noisy, but the exported jpeg seems much better

DPL 6.9.0, M2 Max running macOS Ventura 13.5.1, Fuji X-T5 RAW

I am editing a set of RAW images shot on a Fuji X-T5 at ISO 6400, 1/500th, and f/5.6 and I have noticed that when I am editing images, they are much noisier on screen then after I export to JPG. It is making it kind of hard to learn how to use the DxO Denoising options since the output isn’t matching what is on screen (to be clear, the JPG looks better). In the attached screenshot, the left is the JPEG Export, and the right is what I see while in DxO (while in the Customize tab).

Is this normal or is there something I am doing wrong?

This is normal and occurs because it would take too long to update the noise reduction after every edit. You need to look at the small preview window on the tool palette and use the tool to change which part of the image you are examining.

If you want the entire image denoised all the time, you need to start by applying optical corrections and noise reduction (DeepPRIME at default level is usually fine) then export the image to DNG and continue working on that.

2 Likes

Ah, well that makes some sense as I assume that portion is being applied at export after some of the other edits (though I do wish there was a button that could be clicked to apply it to the whole editor window so one could check it prior to export; but the export is pretty fast so not a huge deal).

I don’t really want to mess with exporting DNG and importing them back in and all that; too much work. :joy:

But at least nothing is broken, which was my main concern. :sunglasses:

Or it would need to make the preview window in the denoising palette really usefull (make it resizable and undockable for example) and let user choose what is better for its workflow.

But for now, if you want to tweak it you need to save images test, choose, then delete images test. Not a really an efficient workflow isn’t it ?

I suspect most people let everything at default values because too heavy to tweak.

2 Likes

The threshold of 75% is already for microcontrast, sharpening and CA so they could buildin a extra checkbox in denoising tool "Apply selected denoise when 75% or more is selected. And to be sure you don’t forget and get very sluggisch preformens create a “blue overcast” on the tool as reminder denoise preview is active or a timer of 5 min.

My earlier request years ago was when i hit fullscreen preview apply also selected denoising and all other corrections. Make it a pre export preview modes.
I use full screen view only for those kinds of examination. To look if i am satisfied with the result.