How to create photos like "the masters", and is PhotoLab a useful tool?

I will write you back later today. I hope to be at the range today and tomorrow. Wednesday is free until an appointment in the afternoon. Since you’re in a time zone way ahead of mine, I can wake up early on Wednesday, and a time that is good for you, you can connect to my MacBook where the problem files are. I have been trying to convert one file using your instructions, and it works. What is “broken” is when I try to upload that file to this forum. Even when I completely rename the file (in PL5) to “windows.nef”, and I can clearly see it with that name in my directory, it still shows up in the forum with the old name. Meanwhile, the “windows.dop” get copied to the forum correctly. I’m stuck. What I’m describing seems impossible. Thanks for the offer to help… Plan “B” is to upload the .nef and .dop files to Dropbox, where @Wolfgang can capture them.

(I copied everything from the MacBook Pro to my Mac Mini, and the same thing happened, meaning the computer itself is not the problem. By using PL5 to rename them as you suggested seems to have worked - if not, the .dop file on my computer wouldn’t have a “-” character, instead of the “|” character, so the renaming was fine. …is there any way to reset the forum software? The forum shows me on my screen that it is uploading my renamed file, but when it gets finished, it always has the old name. This sounds to me like it is impossible.)

I thought the virtual copies were the problem, so I deleted them. All that was left was the Master, but I still had the problem. I have no idea what 6.1 and 6.2 and 6.0 refers to.

Yes, at one point in time there were two virtual copies of the image. That sounded to me like a potential problem, so I deleted the virtual copies. But I don’t understand why the forum software should pay attention to any of this - it’s supposed to just “copy” my file, using the same name, right?

George, you are right – 2x VCs, but … :slight_smile:

With a fresh download from post #387

note – as always, Mike’s jpgs show up in Firefox/Edge w/o the | pipe

nef & dop showed up in the download folder
grafik
Windows dropped “blank pipe blank” and replaced it with 1x “blank”

copied nef & dop-files to an extra folder (then new to PL5)

opened in PL5 and showing up w/ 2x VCs – no edits – closed

now, the same extra folder (after visiting PL5)
Screen Shot 06-13-22 at 08.48 PM
the dop-file is much smaller (no edits from my side !)

the corresponding dop-files

I can read this file and see Mike’s edits, but no idea, why PL5 changed the dop-file.

• Interesting, that you can’t see this file.

• Can you see his edits from “MM2_1503 - 2022-06-07” (post #364),
    where Mike renamed his files successfully? → (my reply)

BTW, did you install ‘his’ font “Chalkduster”?
(Until then I had to disable Mike’s watermark to see everything. )

Wolfgang

Mmmm - I hafta comment on that comment, Joanna :wink:

It may be that you can achieve something with Mac’s standard Finder that doesn’t have an equivalent feature/function in Win10’s File Manager (which wouldn’t surprise me - I certainly don’t use FM myself) - but if a Win10 user cannot do/achieve something then it’s just that they’re using the wrong tool … out of the myriad of options readily available to them - - very often, for free.

John M

2 Likes

@Wolfgang ,
I did delete the database and the cache. That should be the same as using a new folder.

I suppose PL recognizes the dop file as it’s own but just doesn’t read it ,but overwrites it as usual when needed.
I just wonder what that uuid is doing there.

George

I think that’s one of the many things I discovered when I first moved to Mac. Too quote their catchphrase - “it just works”. No more need for Explorer replacements, no more hunting for drivers for this or that codec or driver - everything just seemed to, well, work. Even nowadays, I hear folks saying that Windows can’t display certain images by default and that they needed download such-and-so driver or codec in order to just read their files. On the other hand, All I have done with every camera I have bought, is to simply plug it in to a USB port and open Image Capture (part of the macOS distribution) to drag and drop the images to a folder and then delete them from the card in the camera.

I used to earn about £250 for a day, almost every week, looking after and fixing the Windows computers for a friend’s business. Then, one day, both motherboards failed almost simultaneously. I had recently moved to Mac and suggested he might like to consider them as replacements. He did and, after. couple of weeks of moaning about things being different, he pronounced himself well pleased and I lost a regular income because, from then on, they “just worked”.

What you describe can be done on windows do. That are basic routines.
What do you mean by Explorer replacements? If you mean Internet Explorer, well I use FF. I just don’t want to be all dependent on Microsoft. But I have the possibility to do so. There’s also a FF for Apple competing with Safari.
Apple has from the beginning been more focused on graphics and Windows more on business. Now there’s more graphic software for windows. Mostly due to its more open politics. Which also contains the danger of wrong software.

George

@George, I could reason against everything you just said. Contrary to you, I do work daily on both Windows and Mac, so I do have an insight of what’s different and how to adapt. It’s okay to work on Windows when I’m paid for waiting for all the little quirks, all the long startup times, all the phishing alerts, trojans, viruses - oh no, that was the master virus (=Windows) itself which let disappear some files into the cosmos…

But at home I prefer to have a trouble free Mac which still is the copy template for the next Windows features.

“I could reason against everything you just said” - but it would be totally pointless as Windows users in general stick to their overcome prejudices until they die.

1 Like

Could we please leave this really stupid Mac vs Win OS debatte – which is indeed pointless.

Just because somebody uses incompatible tires aka ‘file names’ nobody is going to buy a new car.

4 Likes

I wonder what that cold be. I didn’t say much.

George

Well, I know many people who run their entire businesses on Mac and, what is more, they don’t need to go elsewhere for their graphics.

macOS copes with a shedload of apps, for free, with free upgrades. The main software I have to pay for is anything to do with image editing - but I run my business using only what Apple provides.

Johanna,
I really don’t care who is using what. But if Mike wants help from other people, among a lot of windows users, he has to use a file naming that can be read. How he is fixing that is his problem.

George

2 Likes

You do realise this thread is in the DxO PhotoLab Mac section of the forums?

My question is, why are a load of Windows users here?

Good proposal – BYE !!!

No, I didn’t realize that. I thought I was on a Photolab forum. :grimacing:
And I didn’t know the topic was Mac related.

George

1 Like

I don’t wanna get into a to-and-fro on the Mac vs Win issue, Joanna - as neither camp is likely gunna convince the other (in which case, I probably shouldn’t have “taken the bait” in the first instance !).

That said, I just can’t help myself …

John M

1 Like

Ok that’s it!

I go reinstal my pc and go to Ubuntu : free of malware, can build my own drivers and applications failty free!
Beat that foke’s.
:grin::yum::crazy_face:

1 Like

Are you expecting a visit from the men in white coats? :crazy_face: :wink:

1 Like

No they can’t find me. I have my aluminumfoil head on and wrapt my mobilephone in lead.
:crazy_face:

The only mac i buy is big mac. And the only windows i have is to open to get air in…
:innocent:

Ok busted :grin:
i have an old win 10 pc and frankly it’s easier for Apple to get things working smooth because they build all them selfs and avoid risky hardware to support.
Windows is the wh.re of all kind of hardware and viceversa. Too much types and versions of videocards, MB’s, memorysticks, chipsets and so on. Workaround on top of workaround. (those end less updates.)
But the good part is due the fact that almost everyone sells windows related stuff it’s cheaper and there are much more applications build by enthousiast’s.

No use to battle for best and worse. Everything is worse if it doesn’t work as you want.
(your fault or there’s that doesn’t matter.)
Where locked in the digital world they build around us.

But we get to play our video games and virtual reality so much more realistically on Windows