1. take photos on a day with a featureless grey sky
  2. use an unsuitable lens
  3. crop a ridiculous amount
  4. resize even smaller to get the file size down to less than 256 KB

I managed to meet all the above criteria and get these shots:

Indeed. As any kind of photograph.

Unless for ID.

Maybe better to find a crop frame, so ?

Not always. And it can give opportunity to keep shooting at at times when the light would no longer allow it and become too harsh.

1 Like

It’s nice to know that rules are made for breaking :grin:

Actually my post was more an attempt to wind up @Joanna than a serious offering of bird photos :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

My motto exactly

Awww. All I can say is, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it’s probably an eagle :crazy_face:

1 Like

Perhaps I should give some more details on how severe a crop I applied. You might want to sit down first though…

The full frame is 6960x4640 pixels. Before I resized them for upload, the first was cropped to about 1000x670 and the second to about 1600x1070 pixels. In the former case that gives a 35mm equiv. focal length of about 2800 mm and for the latter about 1750 mm.

Nonetheless, I ran the first one through Topaz Photo AI for a 4x enlargement and sharpening of just the bird and got this…

Hmm, interesting, maybe I should see if Topaz offer a good price on Black Friday.

You absolutely should try Topaz Photo AI. I have lost count of the number of focus-near-misses it has saved for my swooping swallows. And the upscaling is handy as well, to “de-crop” your photos when you were standing too far from the target.