How does DxO PL 5 run on M3 silicon, Air vs Pro

I apologize if this is a repeat question, but I found a mention in an older forum that PL 5 doesn’t use the GPU in the MacBook Pro. I’m quite happy with PL 5, and would prefer not to upgrade, mostly for familiarity for my aging brain. But I was thinking of buying a new M3 MacBook, and I was wondering if there was an advantage in upgrading to the Pro over the Air if the GPU rumour is true? Although I’ve reviewed the minimum system requirements from DxO, any thoughts as to what I should get for M3 silicon with PL5? Thanks.

I have a 2020 MacBook Air with Apple Silicon M1 processor and PhotoLab 5 runs nicely on it.

PL was prepared to run natively on Apple Silicon Macs. Early versions of PL5 use Rosetta 2, later versions of PL5 don’t. I’d therefore check what version of PL you have or download the installer from your shop account. Other than that, any M processor should do and I feel that the basic processors are good enough, but I’ not buy the lowest cost model.

Thanks for your prompt reply; that’s very helpful. With PL5, do you have a rough idea how long it takes to render from RAW to JPEG with DeepPrime active? My 2020 Air is Intel-based, which is painfully slow (it takes more than 5 minutes to render). Hence the interest in faster hardware. Thanks again.

I have posted times in a few posts in the forum. If I remember correctly, times were about 7 to 8 minutes/60 images, giving an average of 7-8 seconds/image. Times can be higher or lower depending on file size or number of megapixels and image content as well as your setting of how many images are processed in parallel.

Search the forum for more detailed information.

Sorry, I should have done that first. I found your post from Dec. 2021, which confirmed those times. Given how long it takes my Intel MB Air (also 2020 vintage) to render, I’m impressed. It sounds like the MB Pro isn’t really necessary for my needs. Thanks again for your always helpful replies.

1 Like