Greenwood Gardens, New Jersey, USA

Greenwood Gardens was originally a private estate and is now a botanical garden and arboretum open to the public.

I posted a similar image a year or two ago captured from a somewhat different perspective, in different light, using a TTArtisan 50 mm f/1.2 MF lens on my APS-C sensor Nikon Zfc.

This version was captured several weeks ago using my Voigtlander 23mm f/1.2 Nokton MF lens designed specifically for Nikon Z mount APS-C bodies. It is my preferred lens for this camera. The thick canopy of tree branches, which left my earlier version of this scene in deeper shadow, had been cut back significantly by the time this was captured. As a result this version is brighter with more sunlight falling directly on it.

I enjoy shooting these buildings because of their shape and texture, and the way light and shadows plays on them. It was processed in PhotoLab 7.7.2., build 234, for Windows. I also have access to FilmPack 7 and Viewpoint 4 features from within PhotoLab.

Any comments or suggestions for improvement would be welcome.

Mark

3 Likes

What struck my eye is the composition, with leading lines coming in from the two left corners, guiding the eye around the subject.

1 Like

It doesn’t look like the house is open to the public at all …

These buildings are on the estate, but they are used by the conservancy for their own purposes . The mansion, which is elsewhere on the property, is occasionally partially open, but it is not intended as a museum.

Mark

Composition: The shot leads one out of the image due to the chosen perspective
Colour: Too cool and slightly purplish to my taste

Illustrating the above:

More or less from left to right:

• cropped the “quick exit” off
  • additionally warmed the image and tinted the sky
  • flipped the image for leading lines that don’t create the “quick exit”
  • additionally warmed the image and tinted the sky
  • jpeg as downloaded

All shown in PhotoLan 7.7.1 on Mac. Default preset = No Correction

Original composition and modification: If the “quick exit” is intended, the RH edge should be pushed outwards to reveal something distant/surroundings. The contrary (closing or flipping) creates a more secluded feeling or/and shifts attention from the green door to the flowery bush.

A few questions about the colors: Does the stucco have this brown/grey coloring or is it severe weathering? Is the roof covered with slate or another material? I have never seen such a strong brown coloration in slate - at least not in Europe. The seal at the bottom of the chimney is also a strange color.

The roof appears to be slate. I’m not sure why it is colored the way it is. There was a mantle of huge branches hanging over those buildings until quite recently. Maybe the brown color on the tiles was from the trees. The stucco of the buildings is definitely a medium taupe and varies in depth of color depending on the amount of light and shadows. That seal around the base of the stone chimney is probably some sort of insulation at the point that the chimney meets the roof. I hadn’t really thought about it before.

The general architecture of these two buildings is unusual to my eyes and perhaps that’s the reason I’m so drawn to them whenever I visit this place. Some may think I oversharpened the stucco, but I did not. The finish It is as rough and prominent as it looks. I really don’t know when these two structures were built. I’ve always thought it was around the turn of the 20th century, but it could be much earlier…or much later.

Mark

I’m still thinking about how the photo holds me captive. I believe that time stands still here.

1 Like