GPUs and DeepPrime

Hello.

Is the GPU in systems with pre RTX20xx (or RX66xx)cards utilized for DeepPrime or DeepPrime XD at all?

In other words, if DeepPrime XD is used on a system with an older GPU, does the GPU still make a big difference or does it become more CPU dependant?

Reason behind the question is not because I want to upgrade, but because I was reading other threads about fan noise from the PC when using PL, which made me curious (I don’t need to reduce my fan noise either :slight_smile: ).

DxO’s position in this regard can be found here:

The formula…

For a better experience, be sure to at least match our recommended requirements:

…might be read as a simple NO to your first question, @anon78744791. Less powerful GPUs make for longer processing and you can easily find out what DPL will do on your system with a free trial.

I used to use a lower end card on my old PC. Newer one has a much better card. No fan noise on either.

@platypus thanks for the information, though I had alread read that and have been unable to find any information that explicitly states it.

@tilltheendofeternity what is your newer card and up to how many images do you process in a batch or rather how long do you process images in one go with DeepPrime?

…which is to be expected.But as DxO states, you need something above the mentioned GPU series to have “better experience”. Better experience means “better than abysmal experience” in sales language.

Export times depend on many things and one person’s experience might not be yours. Find yours with a trial installation, PhotoLab is easily removed after the trial, or can be used later with a license code.

I use an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 hexacore CPU + AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT (overclocked by CCL Computers)

Processing depends on how noisy the image 10-15 secs for ISO 100. Longer for higher ISO

Thanks for the replies @platypus and @tilltheendofeternity

Hi,

I recently installed an GeForce GTX 1050 Ti that I picked because it would work with my 250W power supply. Previously I was using the Intel motherboard graphics.

My Deep Prime processing time went from 5 min. 10 sec. per image to 14 sec. That’s 22 times as fast!

Really happy I made the change!

1 Like

Processing time depends on other settings too. I usually go with “No corrections” plus Denoising as my standard for such tests. Nevertheless, the speedup you got is remarkable.

no wonder it was so slow

@MikeA01730 My times are as follows for an i7-4790K with a 1050Ti and a Ryzen 5600G with a 3060, the 5600G is roughly 2 times as powerful as the i7 and the times are DeepPrime, DeepPrimeXD and NO NR whatsoever.

I recently replaced a cheap 550W power supply in the i7 with a second-hand Seasonic so both machines now have Seasonic Focus 550W 80 Platinum modular (near silent) power supplies.

The original power supply was one of two bought for about ÂŁ20.00 each, one failed a couple of years ago but the other is fine but a little noisier than I liked (even after my fan swap). A local shop has the Seasonic for about ÂŁ89.99 and the second-hand price was a little lower!

I’d like to add something regarding power usage and underclocking/undervolting a GPU under Windows. A bit delayed for blah blah blah reasons:

A While ago I under… my GPU (RTX3070) with MSI Afterburner, based on a guide on reddit that I could understand.

I processed 20, 32mp RAW files, with only DeepPrime XD turned on.

First row is with stock settings and second row is tuned GPU settings:
Time: 1m37s, Max. fan speed: 86%, Max power draw: 265W
Time: 1m39s, Max. fan speed: 72%, Max power draw: 186W

I start hearing the card at 77% fan speed. So not only did undervolting the card keep it quiet, it also resulted in a significantly lower power draw at a minimal cost in time.

Need to mention that my card is factory overclocked, so the power draw a stock settings shown above, are higher than a regular RTX3070. My reason for paying a bit more for an overclocked card, is because it generally means the chips have been selected accordingly.

The undervolting and using a custom power curve, also keeps it quieter and results in lower power usage when video editing or 3d rendering (or gaming which the guide was actually related to).

1 Like