Goathland to Grosmont, North Yorkshire

This is the first time I have posted images in the forum, I hope they are okay. If not please let me know how to post images.
They were taken using my OM1 with a 12-100mm lens, it is quite a versatile little lens. On Friday 29 July 2024, it started out okay at around 20 degrees C, but got hotter as they day wore on.
This is a walk from Goathland to Grosmont, the walk out along the old rail line, then return through Doctor’s Wood, a great place for bluebells in spring. Alternatively you can get the train back. I do this walk a couple of times most summers. For those not familiar, Goathland was the scene of a well known TV series called Heartbeat, the village was called Aidensfield in the series, a police programme set in the 60’s era in the UK. The rail line runs from Pickering to Whitby, I recommend visiting Whitby for fish and chips. The train station at Goathland was also used for Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone the station was called Hogmeade.

The Goathland Hotel was the Aidensfield Arms in Heartbeat the series.

Birch Hall Inn at Beck Hole, smallest pub in Yorkshire, right next to the river, a great place for a pint and a pie, I was early so it wasn’t open yet.

I think the Robin was making sure that I got its best side

A cropped picture of the little Robin

It was really hot day around 25 degrees C, the water was blinking cold, but so refreshing when you got use to it.

A view along Grosmont rail station, not keen on the colour scheme, a great place for icecream. By the time the train arrived the platform was too crowded to get a photo of the steam train.

3 Likes

A lovely set of images, I used to really enjoy watching Heart Beat :grinning:

Now, please stop taunting me with such lovely images of a part of England I called home for many years :wink:

I second that emotion. Although we do have an English father and son who bring their mobile “shop” to within a couple of kilometres of our house here in Brittany every Thursday. And, since they originate from Bolton, they know how to cook them properly - in beef dripping - so life ain’t so bad. But truth be told, they are still not quite at the same level as Taylors of Ramsbottom.

If you can get a table, The Magpie Cafe is the place for fish and chips in Whitby.

Thanks, I will be back out that way later this summer, so will pay it a visit.

At the risk of keeping the thread off topic for a long time, the last time I had fish and chips in the UK it was utterly revolting. It was the town of Perranporth in Cornwall, and the year was 1986.

Back in the UK in 1999 and again 2001 I wasn’t brave enough to try again, even though I was on the coast (Brighton).