Folder full of files appears empty in DxO PL 5

I am trying DxO Photolab 5 and I just hit a puzzling issue. I have been working on RAW files in several folders while suddenly 2 of my folders appeared empty. In fact these folders are not empty, they are full of RAW files and I had processed them with PL5 a couple days ago. I can see they are not empty from Windows Explorer.

The message I see in the image browser is “This folder does not contain any image”.

My filters are all good: I have checked Show RAW images and unchecked Show sRGB images.

This is a local internal hard drive.

Here is an excerpt from the log file which I find relevant:

2022-01-30 20:19:14.322 | DxO.PhotoLab - 9192 - 30 | DataModels - Error | Error while creating a file source entity for “D:\Pictures\Nepal\Nepal 2012\Day 09 - Tagnak to Dzongla\PA174765.JPG”.
2022-01-30 20:19:14.322 | DxO.PhotoLab - 9192 - 30 | Exception.DataModels - Error | System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one element

• at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)*
  • at DxO.OpticsPro.DataModels.Handlers.DopFileSourceHandler.GetOrCreateFileSource(String filePath, Int64 parentId, Boolean checkFormat, Boolean useSidecar)*
  • at DxO.OpticsPro.DataModels.Handlers.DopFileSourceHandler.d__10.MoveNext()*
    2022-01-30 20:19:14.338 | DxO.PhotoLab - 9192 - 30 | Database - Warn | The method ‘GetOrCreateFileSource’ encountered more file sources than expected:
    - D:\Pictures\Nepal\Nepal 2012\Day 09 - Tagnak to Dzongla\PA174765.ORF (ID = 14118, EntityState = Unchanged)
    - D:\Pictures\Nepal\Nepal 2012\Day 09 - Tagnak to Dzongla\PA174765.ORF (ID = 14853, EntityState = Unchanged)

2022-01-30 20:19:14.338 | DxO.PhotoLab - 9192 - 30 | Database - Warn | The method ‘GetOrCreateFileSource’ encountered more file sources than expected:
- D:\Pictures\Nepal\Nepal 2012\Day 09 - Tagnak to Dzongla\PA174765.ORF (ID = 14118, EntityState = Unchanged)
- D:\Pictures\Nepal\Nepal 2012\Day 09 - Tagnak to Dzongla\PA174765.ORF (ID = 14853, EntityState = Unchanged)

2022-01-30 20:19:14.338 | DxO.PhotoLab - 9192 - 30 | DataModels - Error | Error while creating a file source entity for “D:\Pictures\Nepal\Nepal 2012\Day 09 - Tagnak to Dzongla\PA174765.ORF”.
2022-01-30 20:19:14.338 | DxO.PhotoLab - 9192 - 30 | Exception.DataModels - Error | System.InvalidOperationException: Sequence contains more than one element

• at System.Linq.Enumerable.SingleOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)*
  • at DxO.OpticsPro.DataModels.Handlers.DopFileSourceHandler.GetOrCreateFileSource(String filePath, Int64 parentId, Boolean checkFormat, Boolean useSidecar)*
  • at DxO.OpticsPro.DataModels.Handlers.DopFileSourceHandler.d__10.MoveNext()*

Good morning @olyfan and welcome to the forum!

Which verson and build of PL5 are you working with?

Could you, please, provide us with the whole log and database?

Please, upload them via upload.dxo.com with your forum name in the field:

Thank you
Regards,
Svetlana G.

At a quick glance at he log excerpt you have posted, this looks remarkably like a database corruption error.

You might like to close PL5, copy your database somewhere safe and then delete the original and restart PL5 to see if that solves the problem.

But do make sure you have a full backup of your disk before trying this.

Where exactly is the database located?

Also what will happen if I delete it? I mean the image adjustments are already stored in sidecars… what will I lose if I delete the database and restart the application?

As long as you use DOP sidecar files and don’t use either projects or persistent history, deleting the database will cause it to be recreated on next startup and all you DOP files will be re-imported.

I don’t know where the database is kept on Windows, I’m sure someone else can tell you that.

1 Like

@olyfan if you haven’t set the following parameter in ‘Edit’/‘Preferences’‘DxO PhotoLab database’ location

then you will find it in

You can back the database up using PL5 backup command

Then close the database (close PL5) and navigate to the directory shown above and change the name from PhotoLab.db to PhotoLab.db.saved 2022-01-31 for example. (you now have two backups of the database!)

Then restart PL5 and it will create a new database!

Navigate to the “lost” directories and the database entries will be reconstructed from the (hopefully) intact and present DOP files etc. Data will only be re-absorbed into the database as you navigate around the directories you have been using.

As @joanna has indicated the DOPs contain mostly editing data. If you were using keywords then the options you were using will determine if any of that made it out of the database.

Incidentally have you checked the filters applied to the directories that have “gone missing”. Sorry I just re-read your original posts and yes you had checked the filters. My filters normally have nothing checked at all shown in the rather misted out snapshot!

Thanks all, that did it!

Good morning!

@olyfan have you deleted your database and has it resolved your problem?

Regards,
Svetlana G.

Yes, I deleted the database, restarted and everything is back to normal. Thanks again!

2 Likes