Film vs. Digital ....or vice versa

In this thread, it was suggested that we create a new thread to discuss the differences between shooting with film, compared to shooting with digital:

Most of the discussions there seemed to be comparing printing, and which might achieve the best results.

I’d like to submit another comparison, cropping. When using better cameras, with better lenses, the hardware seemed to define how large a print could be made, where view cameras were up on top, then 2 1/4 square (Rolleiflex, Hasselblad, Bronco) came into their own, and then there was 35mm film. It seems to me that the physical size of the negative was the first consideration, followed by the qualify of the lens. Just my personal observation.

With my experiences in digital, the image still meant everything, but then there was a limitation from the “megapixels”. More megapixels => a better chance of making a larger print.

I think this leads to two discussions - one for “most of us”, making reasonable size prints, and another discussion for those of us who produce huge mural size prints.

I’m creating this discussion so we have a unique place to talk about film vs. digital however we wish to.

The only real differences are resolution and ISO range. Unless you consider negative film, which requires a different approach when metering.

The actual “shooting” process is identical - measure, frame, focus and shoot.

Exactly the same as film, except the limitation is grain size instead of pixel density.

And, in the end, if you are scanning film, there really is no difference as the file from the scan is just as digital as digital

Having started this discussion, one aspect of it is the same for film and digital - the image size. Just like an 8x10 negative will likely be able to print as a mural, so will a 50 megapixel image compared to a 12 megapixel image (assuming the ISO speed and lens used are up to the task). Or, in my own blunt terms, I struggle to capture an image in my 17 year old Nikon D3 with 12 megapixels, as I can with my 24 megapixel D780, or Joanna captures on her 50 megapixel D850. Apparently Nikon’s newest Z9 is far beyond the capability of a D850. I’m not sure how we can even discuss this, without including all the other details of the camera sensor.

As Joanna also pointed out, there is also the matter of cost. Film is no longer considered “cheap” like it used to be.

Landscape photo, outdoors:
What camera/media/lens would YOU select, to do your best with film?
What camera (D850?)/lens might YOU select, to do your best with digital?

Would they both be of equal “quality”?
Does either choice have an “edge” over the other - as you see this?

This doesn’t make sense.

Total rubbish!!! They both have the same sensor.

The quality has far more to do with the photographer than the equipment.

So the D850 also has this?
https://www.dpreview.com/news/8444379621/techinsights-effectively-confirms-the-nikon-z9-is-using-a-sony-semiconductor-sensor

Agreed, but let’s assume it’s the same photographer for both, so that’s no longer a factor. Let’s assume the photographer is you.

Does “digital” or “film” have any inherent advantage over the other?
I think you’re saying the “quality” would be the same for both.

I would have suspected that digital is “easier” to shoot well with, compared to film. Focus, and set exposure. Film - first question, is “which film to use”? A lifetime ago, I thought I had an answer to that, but no longer. I suspect you’re aware of every film available, and its strengths and weaknesses. Me? I don’t have a clue. I used to like “Plus-X” for just about anything/everything. I couldn’t afford color, nor could I process it reliably.

Maybe I’ll just shut up and listen - I’ve got nothing useful to contribute here.

Yes https://www.dpreview.com/news/1234108119/nikon-d850-sensor-confirmed-as-sony-made

In fact lots of Nikon cameras have Sony sensors These 32 Nikon cameras are Sonys in disguise | Digital Camera World

To repeat - the results depend far more on the photographer than the equipment

Well, OK, let’s say the photographer is the same person in each case.
Let’s say you are the photographer.
Can you create the same quality with either media?
Or, does one typically have an advantage?

Oh, and as usual, I was wrong, and you were right:
Sensor - Z9 vs D850 - Landscape work. - FM Forums

Take a look at my website, which is mainly film work, then look through photos I have posted here, which are digital.

Actually, I was more interested in your opinion, than what I might find after viewing your images. Maybe you want to leave that for each of us to decided on our own. That’s fine too, but I, for one, don’t know enough to answer the question.

For me, film is ancient history.
For me, the future is digital.

Cameras in 2034 will do the same thing to cameras from 2024, as those cameras did to cameras from 2014. …and then there was 2004.

Maybe I’m just being a pessimist. I had (past tense) a desire to shoot film again, and you put an end to that very quickly.

One thing I can say for sure though - I’m enjoying my photography just as much now, as any time in my past life. I see so many awesome photos being posted in this forum, and I really enjoy what others are doing with their photography. And I should add, PhotoLab is a huge part of this. PhotoLab allows me to fiddle with my images until the match what I had in my imagination when I was pressing the shutter release. Even my storm photos from last night - I used to struggle more than I do now - but I still wake up the following morning, and always see some way to improve them a bit more. Like the final lightning photo I posted - not that many years ago, I had no idea how to do anything like that. I’ve got this forum, and the people in this forum, to thank for this new ability. The idea of experimenting with new tools and new ways of doing things - Mark really, REALLY, helped me with this. …and I better thank you too, for doing this for so many years now!

Also Pentax cameras. Including mine, and I adore what this sensor is capable of.