Feet on the Beach

This is a picture that I really like but have struggled with since the original .raf was significantly underexposed. This is about the best I could do with my limited processing abilities. If anyone else would like to take a crack at it I’d appreciate it!

The link to the original .raf:
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/efunrfclxc4buiviqs3dn/Myrtle-Beach-Oct-2023-52.raf?rlkey=wz8rx0ttd2yaxnm9vic3ga7f9&st=m8idzltu&dl=0

When my wife went for a walk on the beach, her feet got tired

LOL One day she may get re-tired :face_with_spiral_eyes:

My attempt:

Oops, I meant to add my .dop file:

05aiTl8o.jpeg.dop (13.9 KB)

I trimmed a black line up the right edge of the photo, made some small changes to the “foamy water”, cut a little more off the right end, and used the repair tool to eliminate some distracting light colored spots on the sand. That, and a few minor things to make the image stand out more.

Not sure if you’ll like the changes or not.

I enjoy the image, both for what it does show, and what it doesn’t. It leaves a lot to the imagination.

Feel free to tell me if you think I “ruined” it, as others have told me in the past.

Hi Mike. Thanks for the effort.

To preface, I process and output all raw files in Adobe98 for my calibrated monitor that is rated to 99% Adobe98. For the forum I just did a straight sRGB conversion of the finished file and lazy me didn’t compensate for the slight color and saturation shift.

I like the contrast boost you did but would prefer something in the middle between what you and I did. Your color and saturation were a bit more accurate to the late afternoon sun even allowing for the shifts caused by the file conversion. I prefer the asymmetric composition with the feet in the lower right corner.

Well, time for revision 10. We’ll get this right eventually!

“eventually” is a dangerous word for me. :slight_smile:

Sounds good.

Curious - do you find Adobe98 better than the newer software?

I’m one of those people that likes photos that preserve as much of the original fidelity of the camera sensor as reasonably possible within my budget and within the capability of my computer hardware. As it is prudent to do, I always process raw files in as wide a gamut as the program permits (Wide Gamut in the case of DxO, ProPhoto in other programs such as RawTherapee and Ansel). Since I have a calibrated monitor that can display 99% of the Adobe98 gamut I export the finished files in A98. If pictures from my sRGB phone need touching up in the computer I process them normally and export them to sRGB.

Even though I started doing photography in junior high school many decades ago, my photography skills are ok, not great. But that’s ok, it’s still a lot of fun to create a pretty picture especially if it tells a story or elicits some emotion. I just wish my development skills were as good as the equipment and photo processing programs I have! Gotta keep tryin’, though, the never-ending learning is part of the fun of this hobby.

Suggestion - with this new PhotoLab Forum system, which you were so instrumental in getting DxO to approve, the more photos you post here, the more feedback you might receive, and with any luck your “development skills” will improve based on that feedback. Just post a new photo in a new thread, explain your goals, and there are so many people here now who would likely try to help. There are so many people far better than me, who would likely be glad to help.

Your “DxO Cafe” concept has come to life!

1 Like