Extracting pop from RAWs - and a quick rough and ready attempt

Thank you for a breath of sanity :nerd_face:

What started eductional gets really annoying now!

Yup. i think it’s time for me to give up.

@alan_m I’m really sorry this thread got so out of control.

That’s what I said a wrong example.
See Wikipedia Airy disk - Wikipedia
The lens focuses on the sensor but doesn’t produce a perfect point. It produces also circles around that point. When those circles are within certain limits you won’t notice them. But when they grow you’ll notice them. It’s said when they’re 2 or 2.5 times the pixel size is the limitation of the camera/sensor. The main factor for the airy disk is the top angle of the light cone. The higher the f-nr the smaller that angle. The focus point on the sensor is still there but is surrounded by smaller disks.

George

Actually, a pinhole camera uses diffraction to produce an image without any lens.
Moreover, due to the very high f number there is an enormous depth of field, but a very low resolution.
I use one on my camera, I have posted an example in the too long thread #2.

Thanks. That’s a great way of putting it :nerd_face:

Lovely

It looks very much more inviting than the first picture in the tread but sometimes I wonder why even I’m often is falling for making the world “the world 2.0” instead of keeping it more like to what I really saw - more documentary - boring? Maybe it is because I was brought up with a children’s song that went: “Jag ska måla hela världen lilla mamma så det blir solsken varje dag …” (I shall paint the whole world little mother, so there will be sunshine every day…")

or maybe it is the Danish singer-songwriter Kim Larsen and his band Gasolin that sung: Det bedste till maj og mine venner…" - (The best to myself and my friends…)
Who wants a dull gray sky and maybe rain in a too short Scandinavian summer when there is to be a party?

Never forget that the camera doesn’t “see” what the eye can perceive.

Also, a RAW file is just a bunch of data and needs “interpreting”, either by software built in to the camera, or in post-processing.

Even in the days of B&W negative film, we had to try and make the finished print resemble what we remember seeing.

Lastly, photography isn’t always just a matter of recording stuff - we have the ability to convey feelings and emotions.

2 Likes

Sure to all that but it has almost become a deciese to oversaturate grass and leaves and dehaze every interesting haze as it is the norm to lift the shadows instead of using them and even accentuate them all the way to silhuettes.

Also remember that people that use mirrorless cameras already see the motifs “interpreted” by the cameras EVF viewfinders and that reflecting the camera settings too in advance even before the picture is taken. If you want extra pop it is just to adjust that in advance to through the cameras “Creative”-settings and even those get reflected immediately in the View-finder too.

Today it is only DSLR-users that are forced to always live with the dull and boring unsaturated World of version 1.0. :slight_smile:

But don’t forget the title of this thread was specifically about adding POP :astonished: