"Error "we have detected that some of your hard drives are configured in a way that is not supported by DxO PhotoLab." (macOS only)"

Error “we have detected that some of your hard drives are configured in a way that is not supported by DxO PhotoLab.”

I have the OWC - USB-C Dual-slot CFexpress Type B & SDXC UHS-II Card Reader. So dual slot …one CFExpress and the other SD.When I insert only one card, there’ s no problem. I can open it, see all files and download.
But then, when I insert both a CFExpress B card and a SD card, DXO PL7 says it cannot open.
Because of that I read the DXO article as in the title of this post. But still, I can not translate this to concrete actions; too complicated for me.
Can anyone give me clear and, if possible, step by step advice on what to do in order to be able to insert 2 cards and open them independently in PL7?
Thank you very much!

This is what I found. As I said, I do not understand this. Also not sure whether it’ s a Mac problem, or a DXO problem. Certainly oblivious to any solution.

I’m on windows. But can you read these drives with your file explorer?

George

Hello George.
In Finder I can see both drives; in “Untitled” I can see the jpegs. In “Untitled 1” I can see raw files (but not an actual image of these files; maybe camera not yet supported by MacOS Ventura). At the moment I shoot RAW (one slot) + Jpeg (second slot)
With 2 cards inserted, DXO only shows the jpegs (actual images in one slot (“Untitled”). In “Untitled 1” (where the raw files are), DXO says: “This folder does not contain any image”.
But, if I only insert one card (with the raw files), then I can see them and work on them in PL as it should.
So, in short, I can open both cards…but only if they’re not in the card reader at the same time. That would be more comfortable and faster.

To my mind, you should never be working on cards. They really aren’t suitable for writing back to, which is what PL will do when it creates DOP and XMP files, which is then going to look weird when you put them back in the camera.

Personally, I just connect my camera directly to my Mac and use either the built in Image Transfer app or just simply access the cards from Finder.

You put the cards in an external cared reader. And your goal is to edit on the cards or to copy them to your hd? Is the card that can’t be read write protected? A switch on the card.
I googled your card reader. Quite expensive. I just use a Hama card reader for just over €10.00. I never tried 2 cards at the same time.

George

1 Like

Thnxs Joanna. I don’t want to work on cards…just see the files on it on my Mac…and copy them to a location /map on my Mac
And still…this might be a correct answer for me. In general, If I plug in a card. I leave it as such…and first try to see all images on it …opening in DXO. In Finder there’ s the card(as a location under “Macintosh HD”) . At that moment, the files weren’ t already imported (!). Maybe I should do that first anyway. Thnxs Joanna.

Like I said to Joanna…copy them to my Mac hd. And work on files in DXO PL7 from there (as I do with all my images)
Please read my reaction to Joanna.

I copy the images from a card to my mac into a folder that I use just to review the images. I review the images and copy the images I want to keep into folders where I will store and process the images. I then delete the review folder.

To Joanna/George and BobA.
I just tried again…and FIRST copied all files to a map. Before even looking at them. And now it works perfectly!
New camera and new card reader here. I remember I could open/see those raw files in PL, straight from card (could even work on these files). That obviously doesn’t word anymore with a dual card reader.
Thank you very much for pointing me towards this solution!

I have never used a card reader for my Nikon D850, or even taken the cards out of it. Simply connect the camera to the computer and use the Image Transfer app to copy them directly to your disk.

In general it’s easier to use a card reader. Just put the card in the reader and go.

George

Even if that means removing the card from the camera and then inserting it into the reader, then doing the reverse after transferring?

As opposed to plugging a USB lead into the camera, using the Image Transfer app, which starts as soon as the camera is connected, either transferring all or just selected ones, then deleting them from the camera from within the app and then unplugging?

And that’s what I never did. The iMac has a card slot itself, but only for sd…not for CFExpress.

Yes. And one of the benefits is that I don’t use an intermediair program for such a simple handling.
And a habit off course.

George

1 Like