Enhancing the overlay grid and making it consistent + other general UI considerations

Hi,

We already have an unanswered (5 years old) request about accessing the overlay grid settings without having to jump to the Preferences dialog. So, I don’t want to duplicate that request but I will add a few related requests.

I recently had a few ideas about this tool that could be added to the above mentioned request.

1. Defining the grid by specifying a cell size in pixels is not always suitable for the current task. Most of the time this leads to the display of partial cells. Very often, I’d prefer to specify a number of cells (H x V) or a percentage.

2. When using the crop tool, the overlay grid is not available. Another grid can be displayed (3 x 3 - no discussion). Here again, it would be more convenient to have the possibility to specify the number of cells in both directions or a percentage.

3. Point #2 raises a question : why 2 different overlay grids ? If DxO were to decide one of these days to do something about the unpractical location of the grid settings, maybe they could imagine something more consistent, combining the following features :

• Direct access to the grid settings in the context where we are using it.
  • Choice between size in pixels and number of cells or percentage.
  • Standard overlays like golden ratio, etc.
  • Same interface in both modes (cropping and customize). I don’t see any good reason for having 2 different tools with 2 different behaviors (lack of consistency, again).

PS
@DxO
These old unanswered requests, like many others, may appear trivial to the development team - it’s obviously the case - but there’s one thing to which DxO should give some more thought. Personally, and I do know I’m not alone, the DPL UI is not mature and consistent enough to convince me to adopt it as my main post-processing tool although it’s certainly the best RAW engine available. I’m afraid that many users are going to get tired of it eventually. You can’t continue to ignore the need for a redesign of the DPL UI. In a first step, implementing all those simple requests waiting for years for an answer would certainly encourage users to be patient. Please do not assume that their patience has no limit. I’m an old software engineer and I have seen many software die just because this kind of “details” were neglected for too long.