DxO PL 6.8: bug with repair tool applied to multiple images

I have noticed a bug that should be easy to fix.

Let me try to explain how it can be reproduced:

1. I have 10 photos

2. I apply repair tool SINGULARLY to each of them: on each of them on a different part of the image

3. I then select all the 10 photos, and I apply a further repar tool action to ALL of them (for example to remove a dust spot on the sky that is present in the same position on all 10 images).

The result is that the correction at step #3 is applied, but step #2 is lost.

I thought that step #3 would be INCREMENTAL to the repair tool actions already made at step #2 (since PL is a program with incremental editing steps), but it isn’t so: step #3 completely cancels and overrides the repair tool modifications applied at step #2.

This should be fixed!

I’m not so sure this would be an easy fix for DxO. Consider that if you select an image and copy all corrections, then try to paste selected corrections, you can only paste Local Adjustments as a whole group. You can’t paste individual local adjustment masks or slider settings. This seems to also be the model PhotoLab uses in batch edit mode. Unfortunately, there’s no mention of it in the user guide.

I agree that PhotoLab really ought to behave the way you’re proposing. The current behavior seems to be intended, though.

Perhaps if you reversed the steps and did the global repairs first and then applied the repairs to individual images you would have achieved the results you were expecting.

Mark

Hello Luca,
I tried something quickly – with pictures from different cams.

1. Single Repairs (100% opacity copy + hard edge)
  2. “Global” repair (all 4 images selected and the copy function used)

If I’m not mistaken, the individual fixes are still there,
but the following “Global” seems to have affected the positioning of the previous ones,
plus one of the following was shown at a different zoom level,
→ which made me think that individual image size probably matters …

Wolfgang

I have only tried with images of the same size, so I can’t speak about the different zoom level.

To me it was immediately obvious, because two of my images had a huge hair on the photo (I do mountain photography, and when switching lenses in windy conditions it may happen…), and I had immediately removed it with repair because it jumped to the eye. It was only on those two images, because the hair had gone away after those two photos.

When I then went to perform the removal of the minor dust spots (dust stuck to the sensor, so always in the same position in all photos), and I did it globally, when I returned to those two photos… the hair was back because the previous repair action had disappeared.

Every repair action should be treated as a singular item. If an image has 4 repair actions, they should be treated as 4 separate items, and not as a single one.

It’s actually the first time I notice this, so it may be something that isn’t 100% reproducible.

2 Likes

Sure, Mark… but sometimes a dust spot that affects all images only gets noticed at a later stage… after one has already done all other corrections.

I understand that. I only mentioned it as a alternative approach that would work.

Mark

Maybe not every repair action (because some repairs need several actions).
But we could be able to lay out several repair “layers” and copy/paste the one choosen additively (= without destroying already existing repair “layers”).

As for many (every ?) tools, it would be very usefull to be able to stack them in “layers”, and let the user able to add several “layers” of the same tool with different settings when he needs this. And change their order because it can sometime be relevant. (This would be very usefull with curve tool too for example - not for copy/paste, but for more precise adjustments on top of base curve sometime).

2 Likes

100% agree!