DxO is Bad as Adobe

At the end of June, first of July (only 3 months ago!), I spent over $400 buying DxO software. One of those was PhotoLab 7. Now that PL 8 is out , they want to be shell out another $100+ for the upgrade. I moved to DxO to get away from extortion, and now DxO out-extorting Adobe!

I’m done with DxO, too. You folks enjoy yourselves.

1 Like

We’re not DxO.
Maybe you should try to contact them and see what they say. They maybe want to keep new users.

I left C1 (don’t give them money anymore) because they did really worse to me :
They sent me ads in my mailbox. I bought the version this add was promoting . And about one month later there was a new major release.
Now if I want to use C1, I find other way but they won’t never get my money ever.

1 Like

No they are not as bad as Adobe. For one, you can keep using Photolab 7 which is fantastic.

3 Likes

INDEED !
You won’t loose it even if you do not pay anymore.
And more important : you won’t loose work you have done with it even if you don’t pay anymore !!!

2 Likes

You are not required to update to PhotoLab 8. You will continue to receive updates for PhotoLab 7 for 1 more year. I’m still working whit version 5. I plan to update with the black friday sales. I would advise you to do the same.
I use DXO’s product not because it’s cheaper, but because I like it better than Lightroom.
There are some DXO commercial policies that I don’t like, but in the digital age we are also dependent on the software we use to produce our product (photos)…

3 Likes

He is a new user. He didn’t know how DxO manages it’s updates.
Maybe DxO can make a gesture of goodwill if he asks, explaining his case.
If he doesn’t try, it’s certain he won’t get anything more.
What’s more, he bought several licenses; DxO shouldn’t let new users go.
That’s my opinion anyway.

As usual, a user does not do a proper homework.

What was so urgent to buy before Black Friday (or other “black” shopping days), and with a new annual version coming?

So, this topic can’t be a really justified complaint.

Shopping for something involves research about trends with prices / discounts / etc - if you don’t then you either don’t care ( you are rich enough ) or can’t care ( have to buy now, can’t wait )

1 Like

It makes sense that customers who purchased a product in the last 3 months of the product’s life cycle would get a hefty upgrade bonus, or get it for free. But what decision will DXO…
Let him try writing to them. If they refuse - it’s good to know about the discounts during Black Friday. Because this is another unpleasant surprise for new users :slight_smile:

3 Likes

chatbot suggests :slight_smile:

Dear DxO Team,

I write to you today with a heavy heart and a photographer’s passion that knows no bounds. As a long-time / 3+ months and $400 qualify me for sure !!! / supporter and enthusiast of DxO’s exceptional software, I find myself in a bittersweet situation that I hope you’ll consider with empathy.

Over the years / forgot to tell it that was 3+ months, sorry /, I’ve invested significantly in DxO’s products, each one elevating my photography to new heights. From the revolutionary noise reduction in DxO DeepPRIME to the unparalleled lens corrections in DxO OpticsProPro, your software has been the cornerstone of my post-processing workflow. Most recently, I embraced PhotoLab 7, marveling at its capabilities and the way it breathed new life into my images.

Little did I know that PhotoLab 8 was just around the corner, bringing with it a host of groundbreaking features that have set my creative spirit ablaze. The advance in color processing and the new AI-powered tools are nothing short of revolutionary, promising to unlock potential in my photographs that I’ve only dreamed of.

However, having recently invested in PhotoLab 7, I find myself in a difficult position. My passion for photography and my desire to use the best tools available are at odds with the practical constraints of my budget. It’s with a mix of excitement and trepidation that I reach out to you today.

I humbly request your consideration for a special discount on PhotoLab 8. This isn’t just about saving money; it’s about continuing a journey with DxO that has defined my growth as a photographer. Your software isn’t just a tool for me; it’s a partner in my creative process, a key that unlocks the full potential of my vision.

I understand that developing such advanced software requires immense resources and talent. My request comes from a place of deep respect for your work and a genuine desire to continue supporting DxO’s innovations. A discount would not only allow me to upgrade to PhotoLab 8 but would also reinforce my loyalty to a brand that has never let me down.

In closing, I want to express my heartfelt gratitude for all that DxO has done for the photography community. Your commitment to excellence has pushed the boundaries of what’s possible in digital image processing. I hope that you’ll consider my request, allowing me to remain at the forefront of this exciting journey with DxO.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I eagerly await your response, hoping for the opportunity to explore the new frontiers of PhotoLab 8.

Sincerely, A Devoted DxO User and Passionate Photographer

1 Like

???
Hopefully not everyone thinks like you.
A long time ago I was in the same situation as him and the company that made the software (I can’t remember which one, I bought a lot of licenses for my work) was kind.
I prefer my world than yours.

@JoPoV

That is why I subscribe to C1.
It is the only way to get new features when they are ready and not when the only yearly release is taking place in September/October.

Just remember that the “new” Deep Prime XD2 in Photolab 8 was released in Pure Raw a long time ago. If it had been released immediately both in Pure Raw and Photolab it had been in version 7 a long time ago.

1 Like

There have been many examples through the software history of companies giving the new version for free if you buy the previous version just before the new version is released.

1 Like

And DxO is one of them, only they limit the time frame to just one month. If it was three months, or maybe even two, there might be far fewer complaints.

Mark

3 Likes

I did contact them. I was told I could pay the $109 to “upgrade.” Upgrade after only 90 days, less actually. I think not! These payment models are not not user friendly. Now everyone else is trying to keep up with Adobe. It’s extortion, pure and simple. No thank you!

1 Like

Let me see. How can I put this . . . ? Baloney!

I think you just have done a newcomers mistake. I think all of the more experienced users know historically that both Adobe, Capture One and DXO use to release the new yearly upgrade in October. Of some reason DXO seem to have moved that to September, maybe to be the first to get the spotlights on their release. Now more and more of these companies making converters have moved to subscriptions.

I also think many downloads the free 30 days trials now and wait until Black Friday for the purchase. My best advice is that you swallow your bitterness and either continue using version 7 until next fall when version 9 will be released, or wait until Black Friday to upgrade.

Next year you are one of the experienced users too, who knows what to expect from DXO. Even version 7 will work and do the job and if you finally get XD2 it is very easy to reprocess your old work with XD2 or even a further improved version of XD in fuure versions.

Already the image quality in version 7 is better than what both Lightroom and Capture One can achieve, XD2 is just more of a bonus on the margin.

1 Like

Wait until the holidays when there’s a discount and it adds another couple of months to the timeframe and you won’t feel so bad.

If I recall DxO only offers a free upgrade to next version within 30 days of purchase. I think you made a newcomer mistake as mentioned above. DxO has a 2 version upgrade option. Use 7, you own it. If you really find a compelling reason to try 8, you can. If it doesn’t offer you much in the way of feature or performance enhancements, wait for v9.

I suggest you pump the brakes. If you did end up leaving, where would you go? To Topaz, C1, or back to Adobe? PLE v7 is really nice.

1 Like

As someone wrote above, you can stay with PL 7 and pay nothing. Nothing will be lost, you will not lose anything. In this respect it is better than Adobe. However, there is no denying the somewhat unpleasant fact that each subsequent upgrade is clearly more expensive than the previous one… I understand that there is inflation, etc., but it is unpleasant.

If you‘d care to add „in my opinion the image quality is better than…“ and also specify what better means to you, I had no problem to accept that. Else, and for my taste and my work with my images, I have to deny this kind of rather geral statement. I also wonder why I don’t see more professionals using DxO PL in their demonstrations. All ignoring better image quality?